Repurposing Contact Sensor as Arrival Sensor?

I have split-custody over my daughter and she's only with me half the time. I'd like to drive my hub's modes based on whether she's with me or not and, unfortunately, our schedule isn't as reliable as it should be.

She's not old enough that I want to give her a phone - to keep up with, to keep charged, or to connect with the world with.

Samsung's Arrival Sensor - something that's small and durable that can just be throw into her backpack and doesn't have to be charged every night - seemed like the best option, but I can't find it anywhere. (Even if I could, after reading through dozens of posts, results seemed mixed at best.)

But I do have some other small, durable Zigbee and Z-wave devices that I'm not actively using elsewhere. Is there some combinations of drivers, apps, and/or virtual hardware that I could use to accomplish this goal with hardware that wasn't purpose-built for this?

My idea: throw an old Contact/Temperature sensor in her bag, then set a variable when the connection is lost and clear the variable when the connection is restored. If more than 10 hours passes with her bag (the sensor) gone, I want to set a variable to drive a whole different set of Hub modes. (The 10 hour limit is just to eliminate false-positive changes.)

Bonus points if there's a way to decrease the polling interval of a device to maximize battery life! (Honestly, I don't know enough about these protocols to know if that's a device-side thing or a hub-side thing - or both.)

You could ask @scunny if they still have any of the extra Iris fobs left:

This post points to the problems (will it reconnect to the mesh, battery life) you will encounter:

And this thread might give you ideas:

I do have some V1 fobs left. Brand new, 20 plus shipping.

3 Likes

Thank you @jlv . I had seen two out of three of these, but it seems my best (current) option was buried in the thread I hadn't seen yet. (I also realize, now, that I may not have categorized this thread properly. :grimacing:)

I'm very interested @scunny ! Do you have a storefront, or should I just reach out via direct message?

1 Like

Just message me. No store front, just happen to have a few of the V1 stuff.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.