Replacing light with fan

Ok good to know.. sadly at this point the I can't get it to turn back on.

When I did get it reconnected - it would turn off and on with the other lights 1-2 times then it wouldn't respond. Then after a few tries it would finally respond. Now I can't get it to respond at all with the pico or when I go into the device and click on or off.

The logs say its turning on ... but never confirms its on (because its not on) ...

This device can be a tricky pain.

First things first...do yourself a favor and get a Zigbee repeater for every room you plan to install this device in. It doesnt matter how close you are to the hub...just read through the post here and in the ST forum.

Secondly, while this device does not lose its pairing with the hub, it does sometimes require trickery to reconnect after a power outage. I live in florida so this is tested fairly regularly during lightning storms for me.

Look at this post just minutes ago for the trick I normally use..there are others...including shutting down the hub for 20 minutes to rebuild the zigbee mesh..I prefer my method.

Lastly and potentially the most obvious, did you leave the antennas inside the cowl. If so, you will definitely have connectivity issues.

1 Like

Ok I will play with it a bit and read through everything.

Actually I never got the canopy back on so it's just the fan motor (no blades) and the light kit hanging there.

For anyone who stumbles onto this thread. This is solved and working flawlessly.

I ended up putting a decora switch to power the fan off/on (glad I did - as I went through alot of power cycles just trying to get the fan connected. I probably wouldn't have have to do it so much if I would have just purchased the Zigbee power outlet at the same time I purchased the HBFC. Crazy how sensitive this fan controller is by not having a repeater in the same room.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Iris-120-Volt-White-Smart-Plug/999925330

Good Luck and ask questions (Thank you all!)

2 Likes