Replacing Faulty Z Wave Device - Is there an easier way?

I have a C7. I need to replace a faulty device today and this is always a bit of a pain.

First I'll exclude the old device and include the new device which is easy enough but afterwards...

I need to go into each rule that the device is in and delete the "broken action" line and add them back in referencing the new device. Then I'll need to authorise the new device to SharpTools and edit up to 6 dashboards to replace the old device with the new.

In this instance the new device is not the same model. I'm replacing a Fibaro FGS-223 with a Fibaro FGS-224. Both are added as a single device but use 2 child devices.

Is there an easier less time consuming way to replace it with less work? Thanks

1 Like

Often requested.

If the device has failed, then make use of the zwave replace function as described:

3 Likes

It hasn't actually failed from a z wave perspective. One of the 2 relay outputs has welded on. So it is currently online. I'll take look at the linked post - I can power down the device so that it appears to have failed...

1 Like

So looking at that article @aaiyar my procedure should be:

1 - Power up and exclude the new device to ensure it is defaulted
2 - Power down the existing device, then on the Z wave details page click the replace option once available
3 - Triple click the b button on the new device and it should include in place of the old one

Does that sound right?

1 Like

Yup.

Perfect. I should get the replacement device today and will try that method - thanks for your help.

1 Like

Ok - device replaced. It sort of worked, but I've ended up with just as much work....

Using the replace option, the FGS-224 was included in place of the defective FGS-223. It correctly included without security (I wasn't sure how it would handle that) and it correctly selected the appropriate (different) drivers for both the parent and child devices.

Unfortunately even after a configure, the child devices would not operate so they had to be deleted and created again in the parent device preference panel - not so bad I thought..

...however that has caused the rules to be broken and deleted the items from all SharpTools dashboards. When I authorised the two "new" child devices in the Hubitat SharpTools app it deleted EVERY device from every dashboard! I couldn't get this working again using the app and had to re authorise the hub via the SharpTools web page to get the devices to display again.

Panic over but blood pressure increased substantially. I'll now spend another hour or so trying to get things back how they were. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

@aaiyar I thought this is what the device network id is for all the devices? It would be nice if all rules/etc were just based off that Hub controlled id. I must have it mixed up