Replacement Hub C7 vs C8

Back in September my C7 hub fried and with the holidays and everything I haven't been able to replace it. Now I'm trying to decide between C7 or C8 and am still on a very tight budget

Some Questions:

1. Can I simply run restore on the new hub and get it running as usual with the file I saved right before the hardware failure?

2. If yes, does it matter if the file is C7 on a C8 hub?

3. Are the improvements to C8 worth paying so much more for, considering I had no issues with C7 until it shorted out or whatever happened (wasn't home, but the breaker tripped and the hub, which was on a surge protector, was the only thing damaged)

Thank you in advance

Did you have Hub Protect with the C-7 ?

It's an extended warranty subscription and might have provided you with a replacement. In order to make a warranty replacement feasible, Hub Protect also does Cloud backups that include the Radio data. Local backups do not. The answer to most of your questions will all be dependent on your Hub Protect answer.

The local backups will restore all of your automations, the device drivers and apps, but you will have zero connected Z-Devices. Restoring Zigbee is pretty easy, you factory reset each one and Include it, it will drop right back into your automations and Apps, using whatever driver you had used previously.

ZWave is more steps, but the end result is the same.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, I did not have Hub Connect. Thank you for your reply, it is very helpful

1 Like

For Z-wave, you will want to use the following guide as to not mess up any existing automations:

1 Like