Replacement hub after changing homes

Hi,

I recently sold my house and moved. I meant to bring my hubitat hub with me but somehow managed to accidentally leave it behind. I ordered a new hub and received it yesterday. Is it possible to configure the new hub using a previous backup from my old hub? Looking in the community it seems as though this may only be possible if I had subscribed to Hub Protect. I am not a current subscriber but I do plan to subscribe now with the new hub. Can anyone please point me in the right direction for the best/easiest way to set up this new hub. I took most of my devices with me and it would be a pain to set everything up from scratch again. Thanks all

1 Like

I believe this will give you the instructions for doing a manual migration:

2 Likes

Not Support, but I can parrot some words I've read around here....

Hub Protect will transfer a Cloud based backup to a new hub, including the ZWave radio data. Unless you're expecting every single ZWave device to be installed exactly the same way, I doubt it will help you. If you didn't have Hub Protect to make that cloud backup, you can't use Hub Protect now.

If you simply take the new hub and restore a backup, you'll have your old hub MINUS the radio full of devices. You can then proceed with a manual migration that involves modifying the DNI of a device to retain it as a placeholder, Exclude your old device and Include it again. Now you have a device that has no automation and automations that have no (real) device. Readjust the DNI and you've reconnected them.

This is assuming you brought all your Wave devices with you and forgot ONLY the old hub.

5 Likes

The answers depend on the type of devices you are using. Zigbee is pretty straightforward; as others have pointed out, z-wave is a little more complex. Other device types vary but are usually somewhere in between.

1 Like

Thanks guys. I have both Zigbee and Z-Wave devices. By the looks of the attached link and suggestions I am wondering if it might be easier to just start over from scratch. Only thing I am wondering is for hub registration and the app.... would I need to deregister my old hub and register the new to the app?

No.

Not really. The migration really is pretty simple, once you realize what it is doing, and it preserves your automations and dashboards. Doesn’t work on parent/child devices, though.

1 Like

No, but you might want to. Either to be nice to the new owner, or just because you don't want to accidentally access it and cause issues to the new owner.

2 Likes

The old hub will remain tied to your account until someone runs a Full Reset. So if you name the new hub the same as old, it will be difficult to authorize cloud services, for example, because you wouldn't know which hub is the new hub and which one is the old. If you'd like to de-register your old hub, send us an email to support@hubitat.com and we would be glad to remove the registration for you.

2 Likes

I think this is a key point. If this is a new house, how many of your devices and automations are identical to the old house?

3 Likes

OK all. So I have an update. My wife found my original hubitat hub in a random box! I didn't leave it behind after all. I'm pretty happy as now I don't have to start from scratch and I am already back to automating once again! Thanks to everyone for your replies and suggestions. Now...what to do with the new hub I ordered??? hmm...

2 Likes