Repeaters - is there a formula?

Oh I was referencing the Son In Law movie reference. Such an awesomely bad flick in a great way.

Really? I had that movie memorized and for the life of me, I can't place it. The chaps scene? And wasn't it #cheekchiilers ?

Ok but what does a transstellar hitchhiker have? As a commoner, I have a norwex cloth. It's very un-useful. Keeps getting tangled in my shoestring.

1 Like

Welp, now I’m going to have to watch it again! I always thought it was showers.

I'm playing it now. Gotta love plex!

1 Like

Definitely "cheek chillers"

1 Like

samsonite! I was way off.

Digging through boxes as we speak to find my copy. Late 90’s Pauley Shore hasn’t made it to my Plex server yet. Weekend project time.

GASP! Everyone has to have classic Pauley on Plex. It's a prerequisite. Speaking of Plex, some confusing features lately. Like customized home screens, but they work differently on different things. Why? would they do that?

TL;DR

The type of towel is not important as partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you — daft as a brush, but very very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag ( strag : non-hitch hiker) discovers that a hitchhiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitch hiker might accidentally have "lost." What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.

3 Likes

RIP Douglas Adams. You are SORELY missed.

3 Likes

Plex has been one of the more interesting undertakings in our house. We originally set it up to be a music server a few years ago. We've since switched to Roon for that (which has far more customizability, stability, and focus on just music) and Plex now serves up all our movies for our 3 year old. But yes, I don't think they can go a full 6 months without monkeying with the interface. Sometimes it gets better, many times it does not. And I have no desire to manage my podcasts, internet videos, etc through Plex. They keep solving problems I don't have versus improving what they should be doing better than anyone else.

1 Like

I've been a Plex user since the begging (and was using Twonky way before that even) and yeah, their design decisions baffle me. Honestly, I think a lot of it has to do with the VERY vocal group in their forums that ask for the stupidest things and to keep those voices quiet, they bend over backwards to keep them happy.

I remember looking at Roon awhile ago, but I couldn't stomach the lifetime pass price. I went with Mopidy as it streams from a bunch of different services (Spotify being my biggest use case) and will play on nearly anything. Granted, there's a lot more "hands on" stuff to be done with it, but once you have it setup, it works well. I have scripts that will stream from Spotify to my Sonos devices and my PC soundbar at the same time (something I've never been able to do with the Spotify client). I also use it with my LightShowPi boxes during the holidays.

1 Like

I like Mopidy and set that up for a period of time. At the time, we had a very young kiddo and I was focused on a few core competencies:

1. I didn't really need integrations with Tidal and Spotify (I buy music b/c it's a hobby and I love sifting through the used shelf at Waterloo Records)
  2. I needed something STUPID SIMPLE with very little management becuase I didn't have a ton of time to monkey around.
  3. I love the flexibility to use my RPis as endpoints with the HiFi Dac Hats.

All this came about because I was finding less time to listen to music (Vinyl and CD mostly), so cutting out 5 minutes finding a disc or record, putting it in the transport or turn table, etc, was invaluable. I can now listen to one or two tracks, then move on. If I take the time to put on a record, I want to listen to the whole thing.

I have no idea why I feel that way, I just do. Gave up a long time ago trying to understand my own consumer habits.

2 Likes

It's actually funny. Now that I think about it, one of the reasons I went back to ST a couple years ago from Hubitat is that I was working on the media server/music server project and didn't have time to monkey with Hubitat. I knew the potential was there, so I never got rid of my hub. Now that the kiddo isn't trying to toddler kill himself every waking minute, I've had the time to bust Hubitat back out and have been incredibly pleased with the progress.

2 Likes

I really like the Ikea outlets as repeaters. :innocent:

1 Like