Repeated hub crashes with 2.2.5 on a C-5 hub

Note: edited to reflect issues with 2.2.5 (was originally posted as 2.2.4)

I have a C-5 hub. After updating the platform to 2.2.5 (both released revisions), my hub would not stay running for more than approximately 24 hours, sometimes less than 12 hours.
I suffered through this for about a week, including upgrading the power supply (wondering if it was a power issue). No dice.

When it crashed, the web interface was not reachable and the Zigbee and Z-Wave automations I have in place stopped working.

Finally, I downgraded to the 2.2.3 version of the platform and things have been stable since.
Happy to get telemetry out of a crash. What would be useful to share to troubleshoot this issue?

Update 2/17:

I just had another crash after 84 hours (which is better than it was doing before).

Unpingable on the network when in the crashed state. Came up quickly after a power cycle.

1 Like

Tagging @gopher.ny

In the meanwhile, have you tried 2.2.5?

1 Like

Thanks for the pointer.

I'll install that and see how it goes. (I didn't see anything that described the issue in the 2.2.5 release notes, but it's worth a shot.)

It may be the same issue as [2.2.4.158] C7 hub drops off the network (crash?).

Well, the majority of users didn’t encounter this issue with 2.2.4 either ...

1 Like

Yeah, moving up to 2.2.5 would be the recommended course of action. There will be no more fixes to version 2.2.4.

2 Likes

Do your logs say anything? Can you reach port 8081 when it crashes? do you have any 3rd party apps installed or community apps/drivers installed? If it continues to crash after the update, I would start by disabling anything 3rd party and then turning things on one by one to see when it crashes. I know it's tedious but process of elimination works.

1. Nothing appears in the logs I can observe in the web interface (under logs or system events)
  2. Reviewing the system events just pointed out to me that I was, in fact, already running 2.2.5 when the daily crashing behavior began (see attached log snippet). I've edited the main post to reflect that.
  3. I'll check 8081 next time it crashes
  4. I'll try disabling various apps

My question is: is there some way to get at lower level system logs to debug a crash like this?

Not for us users. Support (@gopher.ny) has access to internal logs, though.

seems like the exact issue i/we were seeing:

Hubitat locking up - Support - Hubitat

FYI (via direct reply) turns out I'm seeing this on 2.2.5

do you happen to have 3210-L zw/zig plugs in use?

How would I determine that? Is that the chipset or the name of the plug?

do you happen to have 3210-L zw/zig plugs in use?

I just had another crash after 84 hours (which is better than it was doing before).

Unpingable on the network when in the crashed state. Came up quickly after a power cycle.

I'll throw my hat into the rig as my first post. I have a C5 hub as well that has been locking up nightly, usually overnight, after recent updates. I don't remember which update it started on but it was the past few weeks. Currently running the latest 2.2.5.131.

When it's locked up I have verified I cannot reach it on port 8081. My only solution is to go and power cycle the box. The only new addition to my system was an Enbrighten wall toggle switch.

I looked through my system event logs and it appears the lock ups started after I upgraded from 2.2.4.158 to 2.2.5.124.

What role would those iris smart plugs be playing in this issue @thebearmay

There is a known issue with these if you enable the Zwave repeater capability in addition to the default zigbee.

2 Likes

Do you have a link to where this has been written about by the staff?