Repeat current state of device

Brand new here, so please bare with me. (Awaiting delivery of hubitat controller as previous 10 year old other-brand device suddenly died)

One of my z-wave devices required it to have its state set every 30 minutes otherwise it would go "offline" for safety reasons. On my old controller i had some code that checked the current state of the device and then-resent that same state to keep it "alive". The device controls a boiler for hot water and heating (so there are effectively two devices that need periodic "refreshing".

So, basically, i want to poll the current state of the device and then instruct the device to select (maintain) that same state every 30 minutes. The device state is typically changed on a schedule based on conditions but could be changed locally/manually.

How best can i achieve this?
thanks

There's a built-in Z-Wave Poller app that does just that.

1 Like

@UkSub Are the devices switches or something else z-wave?

Also please read this

WELCOME TO HUBITAT!!!

1 Like

thanks for that quick reply. I found the online documentation for the z-wave poller.

I'm coming from a veralite (vera) system.

i had to create code for some z-wave devices in my vera system as manual updates were not reflected in the user interface with a few items so this could prove useful it i encounter similar when i include them to teh HE system.
However, assuming the HE interface reflects the current state of my HVAC (boiler) controller i still need to repeat its current state in order to maintain the current state for function rather than display purposes.

I take it i would need to add some additional stuff in order to re-send/repeat the current state in conjunction with this?

You can schedule a rule to run periodically (with a lot of flexibility in defining those periods). What you do on that schedule will depend on what you need to send the device. Rule machine is pretty powerful, so there's not much you can't do with it (sometimes to your own peril).

1 Like

What device is this exactly? (brand/model)

There are quite a few differences between hubs and the drivers that each hub has, so this device might act totally different on Hubitat.

thanks, @bob692006 - that looks like it has the potential to do the job!

the unit is a Horstmann ASR2-ZW two channel relay device.

best i can find for info is the manual here-
https://manualzz.com/doc/27934212/asr2-handleiding

As long as it can use the generic z-wave switch driver, the poller should work fine with it.

1 Like

One more (amateur) question, when installing an app, such as "rule machine" do i need to install an instance it for every rule/function of my system?, ie once for hot water, another for heating, another for lights, etc.

I notice there is a "basic rules" app. Is there any point to having this instead or in addition to the "rule machine" for other functions and why would i chose one over the other?

thanks again for baring with me. i'm sure it will become clear once i get my HE and start playing with it.

No, it's one app. Will look like this..

Start with basic rules. That will cover most things for most people. If you need to do something more complicated than what the general apps do then you can go to rule machine.

1 Like

much appreciated, @rlithgow1 thank you for your assistance.