Remote admin

My sister is getting a Hubitat and smart switches soon. She's 30 minutes away from me, so I was hoping to be able to program and monitor her hub from my house. Does her hub have to be on my account for me to access it, at least on my account? Or does she create her own account, sign up for remote admin, and then give me her login information?

she can create an account for you on the hub, but how you register the hub for the owner would be up to you guys

1 Like

I have two hubs at different locations. Does those two hubs see each other somehow?
Alexa links to one hub only, but I would need control alexa device from the hub that is not linked to Alexa. Can I get any help to this dilemma with this?

unless you have a VPN tunnel between both sites, or (and don't do this) opened up the hubs to the internet, they cannot see each other

Look into HubConnect. It works across networks (unlike Hub Mesh).

1 Like

And no need for vpn?

Exactly...WireGuard all the way. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am not sure because I haven't used HubConnect in about a year. But perhaps @csteele can.

1 Like

No VPN. There's no direct connection. HubConnect uses Hubitat's cloud as a proxy for the traffic. This is a repeat of how HubConnect works with SmartThings. Simply substitute in your mind the SmartThings Cloud with another Hubitat Cloud.

2 Hubitat hubs? Means: 2 Hubitat cloud connections.

1 Hubitat hub and 1 SmartThings? Means: 1 Hubitat Cloud connection and 1 SmartThings Cloud connection.

4 Likes

tailscale :wink:

2 Likes

Hopefully a merger will result in...wait for it...

TailGuard! :wink: Now that's a name for a VPN.

1 Like

Lol

Tailscale is absolutely amazing. Yes it uses wireguard behind the scenes, but the ease of implementation is insanely good.

2 Likes

And T-Mobile, for one, is counting on filling that void ASAP with their Home Broadband offering.