Reliability is gone

Well for me the soft reset hasn't done ANYTHING to improve my situation. Well... ok... maybe a TINY bit but when I left this morning, all my SUNRISE lights were still on and it was well past sunrise.... and yeah my timezones etc are all correct.

I am pretty sure I am going back to a previous firmware... I think things got messed up around the same time RM4.0 came out... I don't know what else to do... :frowning:

I think I still have an option to go back to 2.15... I'll check tonight... I hope I can get there... Does 2.15 have RM4 or still 3? I like some features of RM4 but I think I need to go back before it.... to get back to the good life.

Have you tried re-creating rules that have given you issues?

RM4 came out back in July, so a bit before 2.1.5.

Yes, RM4 came out well before 2.15 though there might have been some updates since. They would detailed in the release announcements. But I'm curious if repeating the firmware update process back to the latest release would fix any issues. I plan on giving that a go when I have time.

When you restore a database it restores it at the point in which the database is saved. If you save a backup of a database during "day" mode and do a restore during night mode, upon restore it will show you as in day mode, until midnight occurs and the hub ques for sunrise/sunset times again.

The first thing I do after a soft reset is go into locations and modes and reset my hubs location on the map, then update the correct mode the hub should be in. Otherwise all the mode sensitive rules will be off until the next day.

1 Like

thanks for all the input! Good info!

Even reboots are iffy for me. Sometimes it works for a full day afterwards. Sometimes it's back to crap after an hour

Looks like I have 2.1.1.122 available which seems to be from June 15th. Next week when I am off work for a couple days perhaps I'll try to revert to that... and see how things look.

Kind of a bummer....

Support looked at my system and said that Echo Speaks was causing some problems. I disabled it and my hub hasn't froze since. Funny thing is that I still get announcements through my echos! I didn't think that would work still without Echo Speaks enabled.

Same exact weird thing happened to me with chromecast integration. Support said it was probably causing problems, I disabled it yet the TTS still functioned.

Having read your post, I've been having a look at the thermal side of the C4 design. In a former life I was involved in Thermal Analysis of telecoms equipment so, although by no means an expert, I have some background in the area.

I don't know the exact details of the materials used or how much power the main chip is meant to be able to dissipate, but the existing heatsink system is clearly very basic.

The soft thermal gap filler pad connecting the chip to the metal plate is around 5 mm thick so is going to be pretty thermally resistive even if it's a good quality material. The metal heatsink plate itself appears to be just mild steel, which is nowhere near as good a conductor as Aluminium. It's also just a flat plate and stuck directly behind the baseplate which has only very small vent holes in it. The amount of airflow going through the unit as it stands must be very low especially when sitting flat on it's base.

As my original hub is out of warranty anyway and I've now got a new spare hub, I decided to bite the bullet and try to improve it's thermal performance. I removed the base plate completely and have fitted an aluminium crosscut heatsink (14mm x 14mm & 10mm high) to the processor chip with some thermal adhesive. I've now mounted the unit vertically to allow some decent airflow across the whole board as well as the new heatsink. I think this will be a massive improvement in it's thermal performance.

If I still had any of my old thermal test gear I could be a bit more scientific about it but it's been running for a couple of days like this now, and the whole unit is much cooler to the touch than it was previously.

I don't know if any of the reliability issues mentioned in this thread are due to overheating, but I do know that the cooler you can keep any processor the better for reliability and longevity, so it cannot do anything but good IMO (apart from invalidate any warranty obviously).

3 Likes