Reliability is gone

Thanks for that info. Yeah this HE is fantastic compared to what I used to use... but even a few reliability issues make me very nervous... we kind of count on this stuff to work at some point... I am hoping to hear from support soon.

@bobbyD Do you have a ticket for @kv1 kv1?

I believe my case number is . 15265 . -- I submitted it yesterday. I figured they are catching up from the long weekend . :slight_smile:

Have you tried updating/installing the latest version of Rootinā€™ Tootinā€™ self-rebootinā€™? (0.91). Itā€™s been very good at catching these errors and self-healing from them. Iā€™ve also been testing something else and have high hopes that it fixes those telnet/socket issues.

Yes :slight_smile: You can use a rule to send a POST (form encoded) command at a certain time to http://your_hub_ip/hub/reboot

I installed a heatsink on my C-4 and itā€™s been good ever since. No issues like that on my C-5... Iā€™d recommend to see what support has to say about there thoughts there, if itā€™s a C-4.

How? The c4 has a thermal pad and a piece of metal to transfer the heat, did you removed those? What heatsink? For Rpi?

Thanks

I removed that pad and added a directly attached sink in lieu of it. Iā€™m not sure how much better it dissipates heat, but it seems to have made a difference. I think there is someone else who did this and had similar results, though I canā€™t recall who it is at this time.

Yesā€”I used an aluminum set that I had lying around for a pi. The paste I used wasnā€™t included with that kit, though. I also added the remaining heat sinks that came with it to other chips on the C-4. If nothing else, they look cool :joy: I never bothered looking at what they did, actually.

1 Like

It's went to hell for me as well. It started with delays and having to reboot constantly like lots of people here mention. Then to stuff just won't work all together. My garage trigger with life360 hasn't worked in days. Synced lights won't stay together now. Motion rules are firing 4-5 seconds late. I'm about to toss it.

Edit:. I haven't added anything in months either. Was working fine before. That's what I get for updating when it's available I guess. And yes I've tried disabling apps and I don't have any complex rules and no more than thirty devices.

Edit 2: and now my goodnight routine isn't working

roll back :slight_smile: see if the stability returns?

Your hub holds the most recent versions it's seen.

It might be helpful to see a list of 3rd party apps and device handlers you are using.

I've updated many times since it all started hoping the next update would stabilize it.

drivers

Looking at the driver list the last one was installed February 28, 2019. That's the last time I've done any major changes minus an added switch or rule here and there. And haven't even done that in at least 4 months. I did have echo speaks and some other stuff installed. They were removed about a month ago

I know that you've probably tried it, but I've had some success in continuing on, by scheduling a Hub reboot in a weekly basis. Further more, after the reboot, I disable the Zwave radio for a short period of time. After that, I run a zwave repair. I find that does the trick (at least for the next week).

This can all be done automatically via a RM rule.

Just wow...

It seems that since about 3 updates ago things started going south. Contacted support and they said to disable Echo Speaks. I have to wonder though, what is the point of a HA system if we have to disable the things that we want in the system?

2 Likes

Iā€™m having similar issues with the exception being that the web server stays up and responsive, blue light on hub. It seems like itā€™s buckling under moderate/high zigbee traffic. Working with support, soft reset several times, replaced outlets, changed reporting frequencies, same result every time: every time I run the washer, the hub stops. Iā€™m sure theyā€™re trying, but itā€™s getting frustrating. The WAF is definitely taking a dive. I donā€™t know if the system logging is just not adequate or what. Iā€™d happily install some sort of debug build if it would help figure this out. One device should not be able to take down the hub like thatā€¦

And yes, Iā€™ve tried disabling just about everythingā€¦

1 Like

About a month ago, the symptoms described were being called "slow down". This month it's "reliability". Whatever the name, the symptoms are all of a type. Namely, the hub slows over time. For some that slow is rapid and for some it's catastrophic. There's also a portion of the community that are saying "I'm fine, no problems"

Hubitat staff have been hit with this extensively and we all know that if they knew what it was, the next platform update would include the fix. Therefore, it's perfectly clear to me that they have no better idea what the cause is than we do. They would like a 'magic fix' too.. and if it's Package A or Package B that has to get pushed aside for a while, so be it.. it would be temporary in one form or another.

Support is asking to disable apps in the hope of finding the magic fix. If 20 people get an improvement by disabling these 3 apps, and 20 people get an improvement by disabling those 3 apps.. maybe one of them is common?

The symptoms are "classic resource leak" -- most commonly a "memory leak", but really, any finite resource can be consumed and only partially released. Eventually enough "partials" add up to there being no resource left.

I've read quite a few people ask themselves a similar question and conclude they don't want to disable certain apps while waiting for the cure. They have decided periodic reboots are their method.

Between my work with HubConnect and a few other Apps/drivers, I seem to be rebooting JUST OFTEN enough to not have any sign of these slowdown/reliability issues. My development hub has almost nothing on it, but I have backups of a variety of configs. This backup has HubConnect Server installed, that one has HubConnect Remote installed. Another has virtual devices for testing SmartThings. I only have the one development hub so sometimes I have to use one of my 3 production hubs to 'be the other end' and so it gets booted occasionally too. (I purchased another during this week's sale.)

Additionally, I have roughly 100 devices per Z-Radio Hub, which I think is a factor. Time has given us devices that consume the radio channel greater than in the past. In 2014 I had 65 ZWave devices on my Staples Connect hub that I coupled to a SmartThings Hub. I still have most of those 65 but all the ones I've added since are much more chatty. Maybe I've got the equivalent of 145 staples connect devices.

If you can afford to disable an App or driver, I'd encourage you to do it.. maybe you'll be the one that offers that one, final, Clue that shakes this loose. If disabling an App doesn't help. then please, enable it. :slight_smile:

Disclaimer: The above are my opinions alone.

4 Likes

I'm almost positive I'll get hammered for this and it will be total blasphemy....

I haven't had any of these "slow downs" or "reliability" issues. I run various apps on my hubs.

The one app I do not run.... Rule Machine.

3 Likes

I've mentioned this elsewhere but I'll repeat..

I have three Production hubs. Two are for the ZWave / Zigbee and the third is pretty much for everything else.

I just looked again and for my "upstairs hub", I have 4 apps:

• ABC (Advanced Button Controller
  • HubConnect Remote Client
  • Lutron Integrator
  • Rule Machine. (Rule-2.5, Rule-3.0, Rule-4.0 mix - 31 total)

For my "downstairs hub", I have 4 apps:

• Better Laundry Monitor
  • HubConnect Remote Client
  • Lutron Integrator
  • Rule Machine (Rule, Rule-2.5, Rule-3.0, Rule-4.0 mix - 37 total)

We don't use buttons much, preferring full automation. Thus ABC barely gets used.

Better Laundry Monitor gets a lot of use because those darn energy reporting devices are so vocal.

I also believe the limited number of Apps contributes to my lack of a slow down.

Apps get pulled from the db on each event they subscribe to... If I have one Motion Sensor in each of 10 Rules, then 10 Apps must get moved from the DB to run.

1 Like

Reading the forums makes me feel like Iā€™m one of the few in this camp. I have a single hub, 100-200 devices (zwave,zigbee,WiFi mix), 50 custom apps and many custom drivers as well all written or rewritten by myself to fit my needs.

There are so many factors that could be causing slowdowns. It not something easy to find.

I tend to believe those not suffering are less visible/vocal here. I can sympathize, but I can't empathize.:neutral_face:

3 Likes

Maybe we just don't want to jynx ourselves.

:grinning:

4 Likes