[Released] Rule 4.0

Who's going to jump in first. :smile: :wink:

I believe Vera stores the previous values, and I'm pretty sure I have some custom LUUP code that utilizes this. This would be a really useful feature on the HE. Just as an example for a freezer temp monitor:

Every 5 mins, check the temp. If temp is X degrees greater than previous temp, then send an alert that the door might be left open. This could be used with indoor temp sensors as well to alert of possible fire, just like the ones they use in commercial buildings.

I also measure the depth of my septic tanks to make sure they don't back up (using mysensors and a distance sensor). Being able to detect a large rate of change between measurements would be helpful. This would indicate that my drain field is clogged, or saturated with water from rain and it's backing up into the tank. I've had the tank levels rise by an inch every 20 mins during rain storms, which has caused problems.

It's a phenomenon here that we release something new, and within a few minutes people want features we didn't include. We even make bets about how long it will take.

17 Likes

My head hurts :upside_down_face:

1 Like

You probably win a lot don't you....

Who won the bet? :slight_smile:

This is inevitable. I have a team of developers and we deal with this all the time. Is this even a rule machine request though? It seems to me that it's better implemented as an attribute in the drivers for devices.

All of my rules and buttons are now in 4.0. It is great!!! Just come on it, the water is fine!

2 Likes

:slight_smile: I've got two hubs for a reason now....

Jeez. That was quick. You must be a rule ninja!!!!!

Backup now running. :smile:

1 Like

Nah...I had a bit of a head start and a LOT of help from Bruce in wrapping my head around things.

What whaaat? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Really? We can clone Rule now!
Again WOW!

2 Likes

What did you do to get everything at 4.0 so soon?

Is there an easy way to convert RM 3.0 rules to 4.0 to get access to all the new goodies without having to rewrite?

No. But why convert? It it works, leave it be.

1 Like

so many are "not broken" :smiley:

poor lonely v4 Rule :frowning:

2 Likes

The way I approached it was to pause a 3.0 rule and then create a rule in 4.0 one. I did that so I had something to fall back on as I figured out the new approach. If I got frustrated, I would just delete the 4.0 and un-pause the 3.0 rule. Another good tip is to read and re-read what Bruce posted at the start of this thread. Triggers were easy to transfer over as were Triggered Rules. Some of my multi-conditioned rules took a but more patience and time, but it was worth it.

2 Likes

I noticed that when you're viewing the list of rules, RM 3.0 rules show a TRUE or FALSE next to them. In RM 4.0, they do not show this. I thought this was pretty useful, is there a way to get it back at some point?

Rule 4.0 rules do not have a rule truth to display. The entire concept of rule truth is gone.

Hmm, I always used this not as rule truth per-Se but more “is this rule active” it’s very helpful when you think something should be happening but it’s not.