[Released] Rule 4.0

I am going to spare @bravenel typing the standard answer to this question: "When it is ready" :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In previous iterations of RM existing rules carried on using the version they were built in even if you amended them.
I would think this would be the same with RM4.0.
So if you want to convert to RM4 I would think you will have to rewrite your rules.
Only my guess though. :wink:

I like the ā€œchangedā€ concept. Does this mean we will have access to the previous value so that can be included in the action condition? For example if mode changes... if current value is Day and previous value was Stay do this, if current value is Away and previous value was Cleaning do that, etc. Some state variables have more than 2 values and having access to the previous value would be awesome.

Because Rule 4.0 is a pretty sharp departure from classic RM, both Rule-3.0 and Rule-4.0 will be available for some time. We will retire Rule-3.0 in the future. You don't "need" both. Old rules, irrespective of version ("Rule", "Rule-2.5", "Rule-3.0") will still work and don't need to be changed or converted to Rule 4.0. Most of my rules in my home system are the old "Rule", never updated.

1 Like

This is talking about the ability to edit conditions created in actions. When you create a condition, it becomes available to be edited, and used in conditional actions. You can also simply create conditions for use in conditional actions

There are two ways to create conditions: First, is right in the creation of a conditional action. Second is in the new section of Action definition where you can create, edit and delete conditions. These are the conditions used in actions.

Not explicitly. However, this is an interesting idea that I will think about. The previous values are obviously stored.

5 Likes

So once I install rm4 the rm3 rules will show up there and rm3 will be gone?

In the type column you can see what RM version your rule was built on.
If you don't rewrite the rule from new then the rule will continue to use the version it was built with.
By default, when you build a brand new rule it will use RM4.0 when it is introduced.

Actually, in the first release, you can choose whether to create a Rule 4.0 or Rule 3.0.

1 Like

Iā€™ll hold off making too many rules and getting my head around RM3.0 then :joy:

Oops. My fault. :blush:
I just made the assumption that the new version would be the default with no choice.

You'll find 4.0 easier to get your head around.

3 Likes

Only one thing I have to say:

WOW!!!

Gone are the Rules,Trigger,Triggered Rules, Actions...YES, finally!
I was hoping for something like this. There were too many options to choose from and it was confusing.
Simplicity is the key!

GREAT job Bravenel.

Can wait to get my hands on it.

3 Likes

I do find what you described more logical....I also swear if said coming soon and now says released.

Yep, soon becomes now at some moment.

3 Likes

Who's going to jump in first. :smile: :wink:

I believe Vera stores the previous values, and I'm pretty sure I have some custom LUUP code that utilizes this. This would be a really useful feature on the HE. Just as an example for a freezer temp monitor:

Every 5 mins, check the temp. If temp is X degrees greater than previous temp, then send an alert that the door might be left open. This could be used with indoor temp sensors as well to alert of possible fire, just like the ones they use in commercial buildings.

I also measure the depth of my septic tanks to make sure they don't back up (using mysensors and a distance sensor). Being able to detect a large rate of change between measurements would be helpful. This would indicate that my drain field is clogged, or saturated with water from rain and it's backing up into the tank. I've had the tank levels rise by an inch every 20 mins during rain storms, which has caused problems.

It's a phenomenon here that we release something new, and within a few minutes people want features we didn't include. We even make bets about how long it will take.

17 Likes

My head hurts :upside_down_face:

1 Like

You probably win a lot don't you....