[OBSOLETE] Zooz Double Plug

This topic was created for a custom driver that was needed for this device at one point, but users should be using the built-in driver now because it's fully functional...

Thanks for the DH @krlaframboise. I got my Zen25 in today and used your handler.

Couple of details for the next person who hooks up one of these. Make sure you load your DH and child before pairing this device. If you don't, Hubitat sees it as a powerstrip with 5 child devices. The only way I knew how to deal with this after the fact, was to remove the device, and then add it back. With your handler loaded it was discovered properly the second time.

Unlike some Z-wave devices this one will pair super fast even when it is a long ways from the hub. Mine paired 2 rooms and 30 feet away from my hub and it was seen the split second I plugged it in.

Also this plug is limited to 10 amps total for both outlets. It would be a great plug for a bedroom with 2 nightstands where there were lamps with dumb bulbs on either side of the bed. The manufacturer clearly states on the package
Not For ...
Heaters
Fans
Pumps
Chargers
Routers

thanks, I have 2 of these on order.

BTW: I expect some translation error with router on the DO NOT list, More like power tools or something.
If a TV and computer is ok so would a network router,

I thought the same thing so I asked and I got the response below, but I personally don't see how a router is any different than a hub or other small electronics. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry...

We found that routers and chargers damage the electronics in Z-Wave outlets, we assume it's because they don't draw the same amount of power at all times like resistive load but rather drop to almost 0W when the electronic switch still expects to have some load on the output when on and it causes failures.

thanks, thats disappointing sounds like they aren't using relays in these.
surprised they are ok with any transformer load.
I'll probably end up buying more leviton appliance modules.

I just looked up the Zen20 and it has the same restrictions and I know from reviews that it clicks when turning on. So maybe the people writing the docs and answering emails just don't know what they are talking about.

@krlaframboise thank you for your efforts on this driver. I received one yesterday and installed it to monitor the power consumption. One thing I noticed is that the event log is flooded with 0 value events every 30 seconds (based on reporting frequency setting).

I like to minimize event logging because the Past Logs only show so much. Could this driver be enhanced to only log an event if the actual value changes? I would prefer this for power, current, and voltage. Given I have my power reporting threshold set to 5W, is there a bug where a 0W event is being logged?

I noticed the outlet will immediately report power consumption as I turn on a device plugged into one of the outlets. What is the "Power Reporting Frequency" do?

I see I can disable power reporting. Could this be expanded to disable Energy and Voltage too?

On line 850, if you put // in front of "isStateChange: true" that will solve your problem.

Determines the frequency that the device automatically sends reports, but it doesn't limit the frequency of reports sent for other reasons.

That's a question for @agnes.zooz

This will prevent all logging which isn't what I want. I only want to log events IF the value changes. I just solved it by editing line 832 to:
if (child && child.currentValue(evt.name) != evt.value) {

1 Like

IsStateChange: true overrides the duplicate event suppression that's built into Hubitat. Commenting out that line makes it only create events when the event value changed so it should have solved your problem.

That being said, your solution also works...

We'll be adding an option to disable power reports for both outlets or just one of them, as well as an option to disable USB reports in the new firmware. It should be ready within a week so contact us about it with your order number and we'll provide you with an OTA file and update instructions.

5 Likes

Hi...assuming that this driver was added to Hubitat defaults, it appears that while the left and right outlets appear in the "devices" section, you can't set them separately in a scene or send them separately to Alexa (using the Alexa Skill) . Have I missed something?

If you use the built-in handler then the left and right outlets get created as child devices.

Name them whatever you want, grant them access in the Alexa skill, and you'll be able to use them just like any other device.

Thanks...I think I figured out what was going on. A new device does not always show up on applications like scenes or Alexa or whatever right away. I've had to go in and out and in and out of the app and it finally shows up. So it was not the driver at all. Sorry for the false alarm. The driver works great!

I'll ask about the delay in accessing a new device in another thread.

just used it works awesome thanks

Hi @krlaframboise
Am I correct that this is no longer needed? I am using it but think that an issue is due to me not using the stock Hubitat version. Can you or someone confirm this is not needed to use the Zooz SEN25?

It's needed to change the settings, but basic functionality probably works with the built-in handler.

What's the issue?

I moved to the built in handler for now. I now think I have a Z Wave issue. 3 Repeaters in the same room (2x Zooz Zen25, 1 Lutron outlet).

Thank you for the reply, I will will troubleshoot this issue.

Hubitat ended up adding support for the USB reporting to their built-in handler and I think it also supports all the settings in the latest firmware so you're correct, there's no reason to use this handler. (I forgot I wrote a custom Hubitat handler and responded from my phone thinking this was the ST forum)

That being said, unless the handler was increasing the number of reports sent to or from the device, which this one doesn't, there's no way the handler could be causing your z-wave issues.

The more reports it sends, the more z-wave issues it will cause, so set the frequency reporting to the highest setting for all the measurements you're not doing anything with. You should do this for all your metering z-wave devices...

1 Like

@krlaframboise - I'm having some issues w/the built-in driver so I was going to try yours. I changed the driver for the main plug instance to your Zooz Double Plug Advanced, but I can't change the driver for the two existing child devices, the option to select driver is greyed out, as is the option to remove.

Looks like I have to exclude it and try again -is that correct?

From device page for one of the child devices.

Correct, Hubitat doesn't allow you to delete or change the type of child devices so you'll have to remove the device and join it again.

1 Like