[RELEASE] ZConnect Garage Door Controller driver

Mine arrived today and to my surprise it works great in my double brick garage as a acceleration sensor. I don’t have many Zigbee devices as most of my house is zwave.

Hopefully my door controller will arrive on Monday. I ran some cat 5 I had lying around from the security sensor, through the roof cavity, to the garage motor yesterday in preparation for its arrival.

@dazpad So I got my controller and paired it (non-secure mode not sure if this will cause issues or not) and wired it all up. I ended up using a 5v supply instead of my garage motor as I'm having some issues I don't understand and wanted to rule dodgy power out.

The issue I'm having is I don't seem to get any status from my wired security contact sensor - I've confirmed it's working correctly in "Normally open" via a continuity check with my DMM with the door both open and closed.

So in English; when the door is closed, the sensor allows circuit to complete. When the door is open, the circuit is broken (aka open).

Anyway, as far as I can tell, none of this is registering on the Controller - here is my config:

Basically default settings, however, I'm missing any options or status for Sensor 2 (Security Contact Sensor):

I have the 3 child devices I'd expect to see:
Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 3.50.33 pm

I can open/close the door but I'm not getting open/close status, any ideas?

The states of the child devices don't display on the parent. To see if your contact sensor is working open the child device in Hubitat and you should see something like:

The way the device driver works is that the first switch is controlled in the parent device. This is where you also set parameters etc.
The second switch and two sensors are setup as child (component) devices, which Hubitat treats as distinct devices, separate from the parent.
The firmware of the controller allows you to set up programmed interactions between the the devices, for example you can set a time delay before the door switch will operate, while the second switch can "flash" a light or siren.
In Hubitat you use the virtual garage door app to combine the door switch, the closed sensor and the tilt switch in the one device.

Ch1 and ch2 both show states but ch3 does not:

Im wondering if my unit is faulty - I might try excluding it and including it in secure mode later today.

Yep, that's exactly what im doing but the lack of a working open/close contact sensor are breaking it atm.

I assume you've installed the child drivers and hit the "recreate child devices" button in the parent driver, ending with something like:

To check the operation of the controller, bridge out the sensor input to the ground input and see if you get indication.

Yep, I've also deleted and recreated them a couple of times. It's on CH3 that isnt working - this is suggesting to me mine is faulty as CH2 shows "open" and i've never connected it.

That is effectively the current state with the door closed:

When you measured the sensor with your MM was it at the sensor or through the green and green/white wires at the controller?
Don't know whether it makes any difference but I'm running mine on 12v. I needed to power the IR beam devices at the same time.
If you operate the switch 2 child device does the status indication change promptly?

The open/close status of the sensor refers to the circuit condition. Channel 2 is not connected so - open (circuit). If you short out the S1 terminal to ground (-) it should change to closed.
The channel 3 indication is very strange. If you pull the wires out of channel 3 (S2) does it change to open?

That was what I expected - I bridged S1 to ground and it evetually changed to "closed" - however, nothing happens on S2. I think its cactus.

btw, should have more parameters to set? There's a stack missing that are listed in the manual.

I know. but imagine how big the driver page would be if included them all !
I just included what I thought were the most useful as a normal garage door control device.
If you need to set some of the other, less used parameters you can use the Basic Z Wave Tool device driver. This is also great for getting a log "dump" of all the current parameter values. You can them compare them to the documentation to make sure they're at he default values.
If there's parameters you really want included I can have a go at including them in the driver.

Through the wires at the Controller end.

I might switch it back to the 24v Motor supply and see if this helps.

The Ch2 device is slow to report a change, seems to poll instead of push status changes?

Btw, I tested both S1 and S2 to ground with my DMM and both report 3.168V across the terminals with nothing connected to them - so maybe something else is happening.

Should it actually show the parameters etc in the UI? The only way I can see them is via the logs.

That could just be the "floating" voltage in the unit. closing the sensor drags the voltage down and triggers the device.

I don't know of any drivers that show a list of parameter values through the UI. i may have seen some drivers where you can retrieve a single value for a specific parameter.

I might be getting my wires crossed on that one.

Btw, does yours have an LED on it? I noticed one mentioned at the back of the manual in the range test section, but have never seen any evidence of one on mine.

There's a red led inside the case. You can see it through the plastic when it's on.
I pulled the cover off my "tester" unit so you can see where it is.

1 Like

Cheers, it'd be nice if they used that during the inclusion/exclusion process too.

I think my inclusion might be the issue - I think it failed to include properly and I had to restart my hub and then "discover" it before I could use it. Im going to kick it out and re-do it as I seem to be having other z-wave devices now misbehaving.

Ok I'm really puzzled - I excluded it and re-included but with the drivers installed it would recognize it as a zConnect device and would get stuck on "initializing". So I deleted all the drivers and re-included it as a generic device, then added the drivers in and it's working better and as an S0 device.

I also switched back to the 24v Motor power supply and it doesnt make any noticable difference.

However, I cannot for the life of me get it to recognize my security contact sensor. If I remove it, the child driver will eventually recognize the contact as being "open".

I know the security sensor works, I know the cable works ... I even replaced it with new wire (dual twisted pair cat5e solid-core). I dont have any other cable that long but I might try removing the sensor and connect it with short bell wire.

:man_facepalming:

EDIT: I've sent the store an email asking if mine is faulty.

Argh, so if I use short bell wire to connect the magnetic sensor it works - takes ages to change status, but it works.

If I disconnect the magnetic sensor from the door end and twist the wires together, it works - takes ages to change status, but it works.

If I put the magnetic sensor back into the look, it doesnt work, despite the sensor being correctly aligned and passing a closed (yes) and open (no) continuity test.

@dazpad Btw, when I run cnfigure, I get this error in my logs:

dev:8332020-10-13 11:58:56.583 am errorjava.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property 'value' on null object on line 134 (configure)
dev:8332020-10-13 11:58:56.562 am debugExecuting 'configure'

and if I try to change Parameter 26 (time interval for S1) using the basic z-wave tool it shows the wrong value (i put in 60) and I cant change it. :man_facepalming:

dev:8332020-10-13 11:58:16.274 am infoConfigurationReport- parameterNumber:26, size:2, value:8
dev:8332020-10-13 11:58:15.149 am traceconfigurationGet command(s) sent...