[RELEASE] Z-Wave Firmware Updater

The solution ended up being to include the Multirelay with no security at all. That wasn't a huge issue, but i can see how that could end up being a problem for some.

I also experienced a similar issue with a Inovelli Fan+Light controller i just installed. When I tried to upgrade it the first time with the built in zwave updater if was only progressing about 1 % every 30 min. I ended up aborting it the firmware apply, air gapped the switch, excluded and paired it without security, and then applied it with the old tool. It completed the whole process in probably less then 30 min.

It is a shame that having S2 security tanks the upgrade process. This is double issue since by default with smartstart that seems to always happen.

I am trying to update my iBlinds firmware and I keep getting the wake up your sleepy device instruction. I have activated it locally and by Z-Wave but it still reports sleepy.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

https://support.myiblinds.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/iBlinds_v3.06_US.gbl

Have you tried disconnecting the battery, this is how I got mine to update.

Thanks for the reply!

Trying that now.

Nothing seems to be working for me.

I guess I will just be content with 3.01 for now.

Did you try with the charger connected? Also, I was able to get one to start by pushing the charge adapter right before I sent the command to upgrade firmware

I will try with the charger connected.

I will also maintain an expression of disgruntled skeptitude as I invoke the update. I have heard that helps as well!

:blush:

2 Likes

Did you have to add "raw=1" after copying the link from the iBlinds support page?

https://support.myiblinds.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/iBlinds_v3.06_US.gbl/raw=1

I tried the link with the /raw and it is no good leave the /raw=1 off and try. Do you have a web server you can use on your network
. Keep us posted. Often I just have to pound my head into the wall and it will go. :exploding_head:. Sometimes it goes no problem other take what seems to be a lifetime. Kind of lost as to what else to do.

OK.

Setting up an Apache server on a Raspberry Pi 3.

If you're on recent hub firmware (version 2.2.1 or later, released June of 2020), there's no reason to do this: you can use File Manager to host it locally on the hub, then get the URL from there. Add port "8080" (alternative to the default of 80 which you'll need if you're hosting and updating on the same hub), so something like http://yourHubIP:8080/local/yourFileName.gbl.

That being said, I have one of these and think I just gave up trying to update it from Hubitat and used PC Controller instead. Similar problem IIRC where it insisted it was sleeping but shouldn't have been, but I can't recall anymore...

2 Likes

I tried PC Controller as well.

No go.

:confused:

All my blinds are working perfectly.

I just have one blind on 3.01 so I will just live with it.

Thanks for the help!

:slightly_smiling_face:

@nkyspike i followed the same procedure without success........started the update, it did not even finish getting the current version, it just went straight to "wake up your sleepy device"........... any suggestions?

I received an update firmware file from Zooz for my Zen27 (v 3.03). I went through the update and got a successful confirmation. However, when I go to the device page the it shows current firmware of 3.00. When I asked Zooz they asked me to factory reset the device or exclude/re-include which I don't want to do since I've already integrated the device into various smartapps and automations within Hubitat.

Is this a device issue or a something related to HE not refreshing the correct firmware on the device page?

If you can still control the device from the hub then you should not need to exclude it and re-include it. Test by trying to turn it on and off from the hub. If that works then try running a configure and it should refresh the firmware version (this can depend on the driver you are using).

If you do need to re-include it, there are ways to keep your rules working. One is to do a zwave "replace" which is finicky and sometimes refuses to work. The other way is to NOT exclude it, do a factory reset on the device and then include it again creating a second device, then swap the DNI's so that the old device now has the new DNI listed. The new device must have the original DNI so you can delete it. Then you should be able to force remove the newly created device (which now has the old DNI attached).

1 Like

Wouldn't it be easier to do as I have seen others do and create a dummy virtual device and use it to replace the current device in the rules using it? Then exclude and reset and put the original device back in the rule(s). Still potentially lots of editing, but maybe less error prone than the DNI approach?

1 Like

If you only have one or two things tied to it maybe. But even a dashboard, a rule, and a scene or two and that would get annoying having to edit them all twice. Less risky though if you are not comfortable doing the other trick. Swapping the DNI is pretty painless once you understand how it works.

2 Likes

Great idea. I had never thought of this before. Will probably take this approach next time I have to factory reset something.

@agnes.zooz What are the latest firmware revisions for your 500-series switching devices? The support web page still shows 3.01 is the latest for the Zen27. Would be nice to see the changelog updated so we know whether or not there's something useful in a later release. For example, I have occasional (less than once per month) events where a device in my house will just stop responding to paddle presses or Z-wave commands and needs a hard power cycle to get working again. Always the same 3 devices... 2 of them are Zen27s and 1 is a Zen26. Nothing in the HE logs indicates trouble, and everything else in the house (> 60 zwave devices) continues to work normally. The problem is so infrequent that it's almost impossible to troubleshoot... I'm curious to know if there are zwave-specific improvements made in more recent firmware versions that might help solve the annoying lock-ups.

1 Like