[RELEASE] Z-Wave Firmware Updater

I'm working on some Inovellis as well. LZW31-SNs are flashing without issue. LZW-30/-SN are bricking (loss of physical function) when I update. Updater tool says this:

firmwareFragmentSize : 40

Logs say that:

FirmwareMDReport: FirmwareMdReport(manufacturerId:798, firmwareId:1025, checksum:19745, firmwareUpgradable:false, numberOfTargets:0, maxFragmentSize:null, firmwareIds:[])

Tool stops on Sleepy Device message. Open to any suggestions.

UPDATE1: LZW30 switches seem 'bricked' after any firmware update attempt. Power cycling (little interrupt tab below switch paddle) restores manual operation ('de-bricks' them). Unsuccessful using firmware updater 1.0 or experimental force-fragement-size=40 version.

EDIT: These required a hard power cycle to accomplish the exclude/include process. All are working normally after that. --- Also, updated four Zooz with same tool and all are working manually but ignores HE commands.

1 Like

You likely need to exclude and include the Zooz switches. Every single Zooz device I've updated required the exclude/include process.

S.

4 Likes

Bryan,

OK tried it again:

Current States

• currentFirmwareVersion : 20.16
  • firmwareUpdateProgress : Please wake up your sleepy device
  • lockedBy : None
  • firmwareUploadPercent : null
  • firmwareTarget : null
  • manufacturerId : null

Log (2 times, 1 without Debug, the other with)

dev:16012020-05-10 07:26:44.002 pm infoVersionReport- applicationVersion:20.16

dev:16012020-05-10 07:26:43.971 pm infoVersionReport- zWaveProtocolVersion:4.5

dev:16012020-05-10 07:26:43.751 pm infoFirmwareUpdateMd version:0

dev:16012020-05-10 07:26:36.279 pm debuglocked by:

dev:16012020-05-10 07:25:55.491 pm infoVersionReport- applicationVersion:20.16

dev:16012020-05-10 07:25:55.489 pm infoVersionReport- zWaveProtocolVersion:4.5

dev:16012020-05-10 07:25:55.205 pm infoFirmwareUpdateMd version:0

dev:16012020-05-10 07:23:14.555 pm infoDeck Light Switch Zen21 switch is off

dev:16012020-05-10 07:23:13.616 pm infoDeck Light Switch Zen21 switch is on

State Variables

• configVal1 : 0
  • configVal2 : 0
  • configVal8 : 0
  • configVal9 : 0
  • refreshConfig : false

Loaded the file from my local webserver:
http://192.168.88.224/ZEN21_V304_slave_enhanced_232_OTA_ZW050x_US_WD_027a_b111_1e1c_304_20200226.otz

I've updated a couple of Zen26 and Zen27s this way, but so far, no joy with Zen21's. Going to try my other Zen 21 and amend this if I get any different results.

Edit

The other unit is on "Version 3.0" firmware, and is reporting this:
dev:3862020-05-10 07:32:14.258 pm warnUpdate process is currently running

dev:3862020-05-10 07:32:14.249 pm debuglocked by: 51

Current States

• lockedBy : Deck Light Switch Zen21

Scott

1 Like

Ok.. So it got the version report.. But it looks like the device didn’t respond to the firmwareUpdateMDGet request which is what is needed to match the firmware IDs.. The next step after that would be downloading the firmware file

can you send logs

Yeah, I had a terrible time with that switch yesterday getting it to exclude and re-include.

I ended up moving my hub nearer and excluding it/re-including it that way.

I had a similar problem with a Zen26 even further away from the hub.

I'm starting to think my Zwave mesh has an issue or 5. I'm really beginning to think my Nexia Thermostat (running it's own Zwave network) is "grabby" and is interfering with my main Zwave mesh.

Scott

1 Like

Could very well be..

Yeah, the Nexia is "Near" both of my Zen21's, and in Line of Sight between the Zen26 I had issues getting to rejoin the network and the Hubitat.

Irritating piece of crap is the Nexia -- Has a Zwave radio, but wants to be your Home Hub, and I think it's radio might be a bit too hot compared to the Zstick on the Hubitat. Grabby. LOL.

Anyway, the second one failed a little differently:

Edit. SUCCESS!

Initially, I had the Wrong firmware file selected -- operator error.

S.

1 Like

What’s the model on this.. And is it not paired with HE?

It's a platinum 850. I think, I'll look. It isn't paired, as it only wants to be a hub, and presents no command and control interfaces (as far as I can tell). I have it in it's own network, as I'm using a secondary temp sensor with it. If it exposed a control interface I'd LOVE it, but I don't think it does. Let me get you the exact model.

S.

1 Like

I just did some looking.. It is able to join HE as a secondary controller... but.. It looks like it doesn’t let you access any thermostat functions over z-wave :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yup, exactly. I had it set up as a secondary controller, but it was generally useless, so when I had it replaced (because it was "not right" -- imagine a thermostat, that can't keep the temperature) I added a secondary temp sensor...which runs on Zwave, and must be joined to the Nexia....

Platinum 850 Control (Nexia): ACONT850
(Color Touchscreen / Wifi / Dehumidification / Communicating / Onboard
Diagnostics)

Is the specific model.

S.

P.S. I hate it! LOL

PPS. The obvious thing to do with the first Zen21 is to go ahead and relocate the Hubitat closer (because I'd have to anyway to get it to rejoin after a success) and then run the firmware update when line of site is 8 feet and direct. Might work a lot better that way. Especially if I run a Zwave repair with the hub in it's temporary location. Another day. It's sunday and I'm tired of screwing with it...

2 Likes

Zooz didn’t add OTA firmware updates to the Zen 21 until version 3.0. I also have an old version 2 Zen 21 which is on firmware 20.15. When I tried to get the firmware update from Zooz, Agnes.zooz replied with that information. I am by no means the Zooz expert, but I am a fan.

2 Likes

@bcopeland I tried to update a new LZW31-SN Red Series Dimmer this morning. I followed the procedure as described. This worked perfectly for me in the past having successfully updated three other devices using your driver so I know it to work. Today I received MissingMethod exceptions in the log and nothing at all on the device page. I did confirm several times that the device indeed was set to use your updater driver (and the buttons displayed on the driver page look correct).

Now I am experiencing other strange driver code issues on my Hub. See this thread for more.

I was hoping that getting all my devices that used this driver updated to the same firmware would solve my other problem. But I cannot update the firmware at all nor probe the device for its firmware version using your driver. I've searched this thread and found no mention of MissingMethod exceptions so I believe this is something new.

1 Like

This is something in the driver provided by inovelli.. I don't maintain that driver..

Those exceptions look like ones from attempting to run commands with your driver (they're definitely not Inovelli's), but I don't think it's an issue with your driver. Given the symptoms @r.p.ulivella is describing in the other thread, my suspicion is database corruption. I know you (@r.p.ulivella) have contacted Support. Have you heard back from them yet? If not, a "Soft Reset" with a known-good (download it locally first) backup should be non-destructive and might help. (I say "should" because it's not if everything works right; it something is majorly wrong, no guarantees.) If you don't have much set up yet, a full reset would eliminate pretty much any cause except hub/hardware failure and would probably be what I'd try if I saw this, though I'd also recommend waiting to hear back if you aren't sure and haven't yet. In any case, none of the issues described look like a problem with this driver (here) or Inovelli's (from the post on their forum--changing a driver, adding or removing driver code, and similar should never cause data loss).

2 Likes

It says user driver InovelliUSA xxxxx

Ha, didn't see that. Don't know how those commands would be run from their driver, though (it's not wrong that they don't exist in it...). I think the hub is really confused. More evidence for DB corruption?

1 Like

No.. They have stuff in their driver to check the firmware versions

That would be my interpretation. As you've suggested, a soft reset will likely fix it (as long as uncorrupted backups exist).

2 Likes