[RELEASE] Z-Wave Firmware Updater

Ok.. Thats strange because the log is still showing the inovelli driver

Not to derail the discussion away from the firmware updater... but, @bcopeland I think that @scottgu3 is talking about the same thermostat I mentioned in the Drivers by bcopeland Bio thread.

I'm still fairly new and learning. It sounds like this means I will not be able to control the thermostat through HE, which is disappointing. Right now, I do have it added to my HE as a device because I assume it will act as a repeater. I don't have it running a separate zwave network.

I do see an option to "shift" it from being a primary controller to a secondary controller, but choosing that just makes it say "waiting for shift" and starts counting down. I don't think anything happens, so I assume it's still acting as a primary controller. Should I just exclude it from my network and pretend like it doesn't even have zwave?

1 Like

Yes.. But from the documentation .. It doesn't allow you to control it over z-wave.. It just wants to be a z-wave controller .. So the exercise would be pointless.

2 Likes

Just used the updater again today to update a few new ZEN 26s that i received in the mail today. They were open box units and had v2.1 firmware installed when I received them. The entire process took less than 5 minutes per switch.

Thanks Again.

2 Likes

It should join as a secondary controller. You might have to reset the thing back to default though.

Honestly I don't think it's worth the hassle having it on. When I can find an alternative that can handle my multi-stage AC and heating, I'm dropkicking this Nexia POS into next week.

It's absolutely galling that it has a Zwave radio that's tied to a service that charges you based on the number of Zwave devices you have connected...WTH?

Gack.

AS @bcopeland said, and as far as I was ever able to determine, it is indeed only a hub, and does NOT expose any of the Thermostat functions.

Junk.

S.

1 Like

:wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to look into it because the stupidity of "smart" thermostats is just appalling, and I really want to automate my HVAC based on both indoor and outdoor temps!
:thinking:
First world problems....

S

2 Likes

If your HVAC equipment is compatible, I recommend looking at the Honeywell T6 Pro z-wave+ thermostat. Works well with Hubitat, and @bcopeland has a driver that lets you configure everything from the comfort of your couch rather than standing at the thermostat.

2 Likes

For some reason, I'm thinking the new HVAC system isn't compatible. I seem to recall looking at the T6-Pro once before. It might work with my upstairs system though. Much simpler.

Thanks Ashok!

S.

2 Likes

If it is a variable speed compressor (outdoor unit), then it will not be compatible.

If it is variable speed indoor air-handler, then it is possible for those smarts to be directly controlled by furnace controller board. And the thermostat will work.

FWIW, have a dual-stage outdoor unit and variable speed indoor unit with 2 AUX stages - this configuration works okay with the T6 pro.

Not sure, have to do some digging...and...heres what I have:

Platinum 20 Heat Pump: 4A6V0024A1000A
(Up To 22 SEER / 10 HSPF)
(Inverter Driven / Variable Capacity / Super Quiet Operation)

Platinum TAM9 Air Handler: TAM9A0A30V21DA
(Variable Speed / Communicating / All Aluminum Coil Design / Vortica

• 10KW Electric Heat Kit

Yup, both halves are Variable speed. The system has 3 indoor stages and 2 outdoor stages.

Figures! Lol

S

Yeah, you're not likely going to have any home automation / smart options on equipment like that... High efficiency units are almost always vendor proprietary.

One of the reasons I still have lower SEER units. :wink: Although I may cave in on next replacement... Have 5 units across multiple homes, so replacement windows come up more often than I would like.

1 Like

Yeah I bet. I knew what I was getting into, I really wanted the higher efficiency and broader heat pump operating range. Unfortunately, the side effect is it's pretty proprietary.

It's so frustrating though. The Nexia has all the pieces, its just flipping crippled by design!

Off topic I know. Sorry Bryan!

Can one of the mods split the Nexia discussion off to a new thread please, perhaps in lounge? I can make a new topic, but can't figure out how to move the messages...

S.

1 Like

@robert.leh, my LZW31-SNs were paired S2 Unauthenticated, but I don't believe that was the problem based on the below results.

Since I don't have a lot of automation's set up on my HE yet, I decided to try the method documented on Inovelli's website. It uses a USB Z-Wave controller and Silicon Labs Z-Wave PC Controller 5 software and requires you to exclude each dimmer from the HE Z-Wave network. I have a HomeSeer SmartStick+ that I bought in a Z-Flash Z-Wave Firmware Update Kit days before discovering Bryan's updater. (FYI, I was never able to to get HomeSeer's software to update the dimmers.)

The SmartStick+ worked well with Silicon Labs software. My first attempt failed and I believe it was due to pairing using S2 Authenticated. Fortunately, the PC Controller 5 software allows you to specify which security protocol to use so I unchecked S2_Authenticated and left S2_Unauthenticated and S0 selected.

@bcopeland, I was able to update Firmware Target 0 using SwitchDim_WITH_BOOTLOADER_Advanced_V1_41.otz and Firmware Target 1 using A632_Advanced_Dimmer_of_Holtek_Firmware_V1_36_20200316.bin. To get the second image to show up in the file open dialog, you just need to change the file filter to All Files (*.*). Once you have selected the firmware image, you need to remember to click on the target to be updated to activate the Update button. Interestingly, the fragment size that was used was 28.

The only time I had problems performing the update was when I unwisely Included 4 of the dimmers at once. I know the old firmware can get rather chatty. Perhaps some of the other dimmers were getting impatient waiting to be updated or maybe network traffic was taking the long way home. :grinning: Once I went back to one dimmer at a time on the network, the updates went smoothly.

-- Mike

I successfully updated the firmware on 3 of the Inovelli Red Series Dimmers with no problems. I am now attempting to update a Zooz Zen16 and this is where I have been for several hours:

Suggestions?

Where did you store the firmware? It has to be on a web server

2 Likes

Maybe not as knowledgeable as I need to be. I just copied and pasted the URL from Zooz into the Firmware Updater. That's all I did for the Inovelli updates.
Example of a web server?

1 Like

GitHub (or anything else that will let you provide the updater with a URL pointing at the update file).

2 Likes

zooz normally sends the file as an attachment and doesn't host the file on a web server..

3 Likes

I was having difficulty creating a Google Drive downloadable link for Inovelli firmware. Came across this service that does it from a shareable link. Google Drive Direct Link Generator

4 Likes