[RELEASE] Z-Wave Firmware Updater

What’s the model on this.. And is it not paired with HE?

It's a platinum 850. I think, I'll look. It isn't paired, as it only wants to be a hub, and presents no command and control interfaces (as far as I can tell). I have it in it's own network, as I'm using a secondary temp sensor with it. If it exposed a control interface I'd LOVE it, but I don't think it does. Let me get you the exact model.

S.

1 Like

I just did some looking.. It is able to join HE as a secondary controller... but.. It looks like it doesn’t let you access any thermostat functions over z-wave :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yup, exactly. I had it set up as a secondary controller, but it was generally useless, so when I had it replaced (because it was "not right" -- imagine a thermostat, that can't keep the temperature) I added a secondary temp sensor...which runs on Zwave, and must be joined to the Nexia....

Platinum 850 Control (Nexia): ACONT850
(Color Touchscreen / Wifi / Dehumidification / Communicating / Onboard
Diagnostics)

Is the specific model.

S.

P.S. I hate it! LOL

PPS. The obvious thing to do with the first Zen21 is to go ahead and relocate the Hubitat closer (because I'd have to anyway to get it to rejoin after a success) and then run the firmware update when line of site is 8 feet and direct. Might work a lot better that way. Especially if I run a Zwave repair with the hub in it's temporary location. Another day. It's sunday and I'm tired of screwing with it...

2 Likes

Zooz didn’t add OTA firmware updates to the Zen 21 until version 3.0. I also have an old version 2 Zen 21 which is on firmware 20.15. When I tried to get the firmware update from Zooz, Agnes.zooz replied with that information. I am by no means the Zooz expert, but I am a fan.

2 Likes

@bcopeland I tried to update a new LZW31-SN Red Series Dimmer this morning. I followed the procedure as described. This worked perfectly for me in the past having successfully updated three other devices using your driver so I know it to work. Today I received MissingMethod exceptions in the log and nothing at all on the device page. I did confirm several times that the device indeed was set to use your updater driver (and the buttons displayed on the driver page look correct).

Now I am experiencing other strange driver code issues on my Hub. See this thread for more.

I was hoping that getting all my devices that used this driver updated to the same firmware would solve my other problem. But I cannot update the firmware at all nor probe the device for its firmware version using your driver. I've searched this thread and found no mention of MissingMethod exceptions so I believe this is something new.

1 Like

This is something in the driver provided by inovelli.. I don't maintain that driver..

Those exceptions look like ones from attempting to run commands with your driver (they're definitely not Inovelli's), but I don't think it's an issue with your driver. Given the symptoms @r.p.ulivella is describing in the other thread, my suspicion is database corruption. I know you (@r.p.ulivella) have contacted Support. Have you heard back from them yet? If not, a "Soft Reset" with a known-good (download it locally first) backup should be non-destructive and might help. (I say "should" because it's not if everything works right; it something is majorly wrong, no guarantees.) If you don't have much set up yet, a full reset would eliminate pretty much any cause except hub/hardware failure and would probably be what I'd try if I saw this, though I'd also recommend waiting to hear back if you aren't sure and haven't yet. In any case, none of the issues described look like a problem with this driver (here) or Inovelli's (from the post on their forum--changing a driver, adding or removing driver code, and similar should never cause data loss).

2 Likes

It says user driver InovelliUSA xxxxx

Ha, didn't see that. Don't know how those commands would be run from their driver, though (it's not wrong that they don't exist in it...). I think the hub is really confused. More evidence for DB corruption?

1 Like

No.. They have stuff in their driver to check the firmware versions

That would be my interpretation. As you've suggested, a soft reset will likely fix it (as long as uncorrupted backups exist).

2 Likes

@bcopeland I received those errors after switching to your updater driver, clicking Save Device, etc. I clicked "Get Version Report" and "Update Firmware" but was presented with these errors in the log and the entire column of outputs under "Current States" remaining blank. I don't disagree this looks like my Hub is confused and therefore calling the old driver instead of the one to which I switched.

@bertabcd1234 In the other thread on the Inovelli forum I posted that I tried copy-pasting the old driver code into a new blank testing driver. That test worked and confirmed that I could indeed use that driver code but not the one from a May 5th update.

I have LOTS setup on my Hub. Numerous rules, groups, etc. It would be incredibly painful to rebuild it all from scratch and error prone. I am in touch with support but no reply just yet. I have lots of backups. I do them as a matter of practice. I can reliably restore from any backup I have tried so far so I am hopeful that a soft reset or something else will get my Hub back on track. Otherwise I do not suspect that @bcopeland's driver is at fault here since I have been able to use it reliably in the past. The clue about the Soft Reset is helpful and I will attempt that as soon as I can.

Thanks folks!

2 Likes

In the event you've never done one before, here are the soft reset instructions from the Hubitat documentation:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Soft_Reset

2 Likes

Ok.. Thats strange because the log is still showing the inovelli driver

Not to derail the discussion away from the firmware updater... but, @bcopeland I think that @scottgu3 is talking about the same thermostat I mentioned in the Drivers by bcopeland Bio thread.

I'm still fairly new and learning. It sounds like this means I will not be able to control the thermostat through HE, which is disappointing. Right now, I do have it added to my HE as a device because I assume it will act as a repeater. I don't have it running a separate zwave network.

I do see an option to "shift" it from being a primary controller to a secondary controller, but choosing that just makes it say "waiting for shift" and starts counting down. I don't think anything happens, so I assume it's still acting as a primary controller. Should I just exclude it from my network and pretend like it doesn't even have zwave?

1 Like

Yes.. But from the documentation .. It doesn't allow you to control it over z-wave.. It just wants to be a z-wave controller .. So the exercise would be pointless.

2 Likes

Just used the updater again today to update a few new ZEN 26s that i received in the mail today. They were open box units and had v2.1 firmware installed when I received them. The entire process took less than 5 minutes per switch.

Thanks Again.

2 Likes

It should join as a secondary controller. You might have to reset the thing back to default though.

Honestly I don't think it's worth the hassle having it on. When I can find an alternative that can handle my multi-stage AC and heating, I'm dropkicking this Nexia POS into next week.

It's absolutely galling that it has a Zwave radio that's tied to a service that charges you based on the number of Zwave devices you have connected...WTH?

Gack.

AS @bcopeland said, and as far as I was ever able to determine, it is indeed only a hub, and does NOT expose any of the Thermostat functions.

Junk.

S.

1 Like

:wink:

1 Like