[RELEASE] Z-Wave Firmware Updater

[Wiki formatted] feel free to add, update or improve.

A few links to Zwave firmware resources:

Any hints / pointers to firmware repo’s are welcome while i scroll through a 1000+ reactions….

I found Aeon labs offers their Zwave firmware here (extraction from ,exe required);

I found Zooz firmware downloads here (account / login required);
https://www.support.getzooz.com/?login=1&return_to=/kb/article/1158-zooz-ota-firmware-files/

I found Innovelli firmwares here;

Qubino offers OTA firmware on request;

Edit: going through this thread i would like to make some remarks

1. A big thank you to the Hubitat devs, especially @bcopeland for his contributions.

2. It seems to mee mostly Zooz, Innovelli and some Aeotec devices have public available firmwares.

3. Would it be helpfull to have a pinned message somewhere linking to the companies firmware locations for easy reference?

4. Extracting the hex files from executables (Aeotec) is not for the faint hearted in my opinion. Would it be feasible to write a tool for this to do so? In my case i would like the hex file for the eu version of the gen5 recessed doorsensor that i had lying around, but i simply dont have the guts but i dont want to bring anyone into some legal liablities :sunglasses:

All support is appreciated :hugs:

If your in the UK, I have a hub for these updates, but you would need to send it to me and return. Fibaro stuff is get but it's a pain.

Aeotec is easier but you even need to connect it to a stick after removing it from hubitat or you have to download and extract the hex from their files. Once you know how to do it, it's quite easy. It's the getting there which is hard as you mentioned.

1 Like

Im across the channel, but thank you very much for the offer!

1 Like

Hello -

I am trying to upgrade a z-wave device over the air and the manufacturer has only .OTA files available. In the documentation of the firmware updater, it seems that the file needs to be .OTZ. Any idea how I can update the firmware with an .OTA file?

Here us the file I am referring to.

Thank you!

Linking @mike.maxwell and @csteele for possible advise

What type of device is it (brand and function?)
Wondering is you cant simply rename them, but that might be too easy

These steps work for Leviton .ota files, so they should work for whatever .ota file you have too.

2 Likes

Thanks for your answer. It is the Heating Thermostat HE-HT01 from Heltun.

I contacted them and they told me that my firmware 2.07 is actually the same as 2.7 and thus I have the latest version not yet available on their site... So I am not going to try crazy stuff for now.

I thought my firware was outdated as the built-in thermostat app (Heltun Heating Thermostat) does not seems complete : there is no reporting of the floor temperature, there is a useless cooling function, useless fan button... Does not seems right... But it is not the firmware of the device apparently.

Thank you for your answer. I received the info that on this device, firmare 2.07 and 2.7 are the same :thinking:... So I will not try this now. This being said, I will keep this link as it seems to be the solution for upgrading from an .ota file.

How long should the firmware update for a single device take? I seem to have one stuck at 2% after 15 minutes of start.

Depends on the device, if it battery powered and distance from the hub. They can take a while, for battery you need to keep it awake.

1 Like

Thanks @BorrisTheCat - 22 hours now and stuck at 39%.

Device = Inovelli Switch Red Series LZW30-SN
Hub = C-7 | 2.3.4.153

You should be using the built-in zwave firmware updater app on a C-7, and not this older driver that is meant for a C-5.

I remember this from my Fibaro battery powered devices when i was still on their HomeCentre.

They do a partial update in their wakeup period and it takes forever. If you can keep them awake however, this significantly should speed up the process.

For now, most important is that you see some progress at all, meaning the update is still running.

1 Like

@aaiyar - I am using this - Device Firmware Updater | Hubitat Documentation - which I think is the built-in zwave firmware updater.

@H_Local - Thanks! These are Inovelli Switches. They are always powered.

1 Like

In that case your connection to them might be just weak.
Dont touch them until they are done, but you might check the link quality and see if you need to improve that in your situation. If the device works reliable, dont touch it!

1 Like

OK! Here is something I found ...

• Same manufacturer and model (Inovelli Switch Red Series LZW30-SN)
  • Those that have S2 Authenticated - either fail to start, or start and take forever, and then fail
  • Those that are Security=None - succeed and take between 30-60 minutes per device

I am now on C-8 | 2.3.5.103

1 Like

So either the encryption is having an negative effect on the bandwith or the HUB has issues with the security part of Zwave. Ive seen many topics on the forum where solutions are suggestion by pairing zwave devices with S0 to solve issues. Shouldnt be that way, but it seems it is. Glad you found a workaround though

EDIT: not with S0 but pairing without security

1 Like

Never ever ever ever pair with s0 it's the worst. Pair everything but locks and garage door stuff with no encryption.

1 Like

S2 is with and S0 is without encryption, right?