[RELEASE] Z-Wave Firmware Updater

I tried to replace and put it into inclusion mode but it says it failed:

When I backed out of the page it says "Pending"

I don't remember if that was there before I tried the replace process. I'll try restarting the hub and bringing it closer to the switch.

Can Habitat do an OTA firmware upgrade on an HSM 200? . If the topic has been discussed - appreciate a link so i can rsearch further. thank you.
Mac

Hi @bcopeland can you please help me with updating leviton DZPA1? I cant find the bin file in that zipped file.

Thank you

Hi, could you please post the ZW117 hex file again? It is no longer at above location. Thank you.

Can you please provide more detail on how to do this? To be more specific, what does the start / end of the section looks like and exactly where to trim to/from?

1 Like

I'm new to Hubitat and I'm curious, now that the C-7 has a built-in Device Firmware Update App (with instructions here), are there any reasons an owner of the C-7 hub would use this Firmware Updater vs. the built-in one? I ask partly because Inovelli's firmware update instructions point to this Firmware Updater, and don't mention the built-in one, which seems like an endorsement of this updater, but it could just be that the instructions haven't been updated for the new app yet (or they wanted generic instructions for all hubs).

PS: I did skim through this entire thread, and didn't see a direct answer to this question, but I only skimmed, and I could easily have missed one of the 1351 posts before this. If that is the case, sorry.

Bryan wrote both this and the built-in updater app. Inovelli's instructions are older and predate the newer app; they should really be updated. I initially used this to update one of my Red dimmers, but I used the built-in app to update other 7 Red dimmers.

I have a Zooz Zen32 I’m trying to update. Does the target I choose matter? Zooz didn’t give me any suggestion on that. Thanks!

Target is the existing firmware on the device

When I run the firmware updater it asks for a target number from a drop down menu with options 0-5. I just didn’t know which to pick, or if that matters. I saw someone post for an Inovelli device to choose target 1 for a binary file. I didn’t know if that’s the same for the Zooz.

It's usually Target 0, but not always. Contact zooz support before attempting.

@bcopeland

By any chance could you still temporarily re-post the "Aeotec-ZW117_RangeExtender_Gen6_S0_US_A_V1_05.hex"? One of my Aeotec v6 repeaters is out-of-date and I've not yet figured out how to fully unpack the binaries from Range Extender 6 (ZW117) firmware update. (1/15/2018) : Aeotec Help Desk

Alternatively -- if you may not have the hex package still, might you be able to share any detail on how I can unpack it? I've tried tinkering with pev ( GitHub - merces/pev: The PE file analysis toolkit or https://pev.sourceforge.io/ ) without much success yet.

Thank you in advance. :]

He doesn’t seem interested in doing this via the forum now that he’s an employee of Hubitat. I’ve messaged him privately several times without a response, My guess is for legal reasons.

As a result I’ve emailed support to see if they can help.

2 Likes

Unfortunately we cannot help as Aeotec support doesn't share their files. Your best route would be to reach out to them directly.

2 Likes

@bcopeland knows how to extract the drivers from the Aeotec executable.

@Root @dJOS If you have the .exe of the firmware you need you can follow this post to extract the .hex.

7 Likes

Possible to find via the Wayback Machine?

1 Like

Thank you for that, I went looking for this but had never found the detailed version you linked to.

4 Likes

One of the firmware files I found by viewing an older commit at GitHub and compared it to what I extracted using the posted guide, verifying what I extracted matched. While on macOS I was having more difficulty ascertaining equivalent steps. I ultimately found success by just using a computer with Windows 10 and HxD Hex Editor. At some point I'd like to go through a few different hex editors on macOS to find which may offer an identical export option as it was the HxD export options I was having a harder time finding direct equivalents for via macOS counterparts.

2 Likes

Looking for some help with a Leviton DZ6HD. I've read through this thread and I'm not sure if I'm missing something but here's where I'm stuck.

Having turned on debug mode, and using the RAW github url for the 1.20 firmware version this is what I get in the logs:

dev:12022-05-14 11:53:53.996 am infoVersionReport- applicationVersion:0.7
dev:12022-05-14 11:53:53.988 am infoVersionReport- zWaveProtocolVersion:3.52
dev:12022-05-14 11:53:53.958 am debugparse:zw device: 02, command: 8612, payload: 03 03 34 00 07 , isMulticast: false
dev:12022-05-14 11:53:53.870 am infoFirmwareUpdateMd version:0
dev:12022-05-14 11:53:53.731 am debugparse:zw device: 02, command: 8614, payload: 7A 00 , isMulticast: false

The Application downloads the firmware and then just reports

Please wake up your sleep device

This isn't a sleepy device and I'm not seeing any error messages. My Hub is a C5 and the device is reporting firmware version 0.7 which seems pretty old if that's even accurate.

I'm not sure where to proceed from here. Without any errors. I've tried air gap the switch right before the update or during the firmware download with no change to the results.

Anyone have recommended next steps? Do I need to look at either a C7 device or a USB stick? Is it possible this switch is to old to update at all?