[Deprecated] Xiaomi / Aqara / Opple Drivers with Presence!

@SmartHomePrimer / @aaiyar - I've queued up a change to Driver Capability List - Hubitat Documentation - I don't know who needs to review this in order for it to be published?

There's already a note on this in the doc.

"The unit of measurement for illuminance varies from device to device. Check the manual for the device you are trying to write a driver for in order to discover whether it reports Lux, w/m², or something else."

IlluminanceMeasurment means whatever the driver author decides it means.

1 Like

That's the change I just added, it's not showing up on the public site yet as far as I can see though even with a refresh?

1 Like

Ah right :grin: I'm admin so I'm seeing that. There have not been notes of that type in this doc before. Let me confer with them on that. It may not be the appropriate place.

Yes, it's Lux, at some point in the future we will likely note the default units in the capability list.
For the time being you can post similar questions in the community.

1 Like

Same, all 18 of my Aqara sensors report 100% battery, though I've only been on Hubitat for a few months. They were paired to ST for a couple years before that, though.

@mike.maxwell / @SmartHomePrimer - I'm aware that I've taken this thread off-topic, but is there a willingness within Hubitat to improve the available documentation for developers, and if so, can we start a new topic about it?

I don't have a huge amout of time to dedicate to it, but I'd love to see the developer documentation for Hubitat rival something like Requests: HTTP for Humans™ — Requests 2.25.0 documentation so there's a really low barrier to entry for new app/driver developers.

I've been trying to develop my own drivers recently and it's a real challenge without copy/pasting stuff from existing drivers, because although the documentation tells you the "what", it doesn't really explain the "how" or the "why" :slight_smile:

6 Likes

+1 on the request for better api documentation

2 Likes

Thank you for your hard work. You're drivers have worked well for me. I notices the Vibration sensor is not showing in package manager. Would it be possible to have that be available there? Apologies if I am not searching correctly.

Welcome to this forum! Unfortunately, the author of these drivers is no longer part of the community. If you look up in the thread, you should find the link to reach him.

1 Like

I just spent hours reading all 600 posts, ordering some aqara items from alibaba only to see markus had been suspended. Crap. This is the second thread today where I was super interested and it ended with the author either suspended or walked away with no communication. Sad to see.

At this point, I want to use Aqara Opple Wireless Scene Switch 6 Button, aqara motiom sensors, and aqara contact sensors. Are the drivers here at a place where these items will be reliable?

The drivers still work and as far as I know, Markus still maintains them... just that to reache him, another forum must be used.

3 Likes

The community is 60% the value of Hubitat. Seeing so many once active and well-respected members being suspended is concerning, not sure what it says about the Hubitat showrunners.

3 Likes

Agreed. Not sure what's going on.

Markus' departure was extensively discussed elsewhere on the forums... I don't think anyone outside of Markus and his cohorts and the Hubitat staff know for certain why the split happened. Markus still maintains his drivers and can be reached at the Oh-La Labs community forums page. While it's a bit bothersome to have to go to a separate location for some of my Hubitat needs (I use Markus' Sonoff motion sensor and Aqara contact sensor drivers), it's nice to know he's still contributing and maintaining his drivers.

5 Likes

Plus they are all in HPM so if there are any updates you will see them automatically. The only risk is that as his new venture gathers pace (assuming it will) he will be focused in that direction, of course.

1 Like

Oh that is good news too

What zigbee repeaters do y'all recommend to help make a stronger mesh network? I was thinking about getting the Ikea power plugs.

The power plugs are not good repeaters. Ikea has dedicated repeaters that work extremely well. I use them for one of my Zigbee mesh.

For my other Zigbee mesh, I use Sinopé zigbee thermostats which act as very good repeaters. (They just don’t like Xoaomi devices, hence my other mesh...)

5 Likes
2 Likes