[RELEASE] Weather-Display With DarkSky.net Forecast Driver

[UPDATED]
V4.1.7
09/16/2019

• MOVED the code from my personal github to the HubitatCommunity github. The link in the first post has been updated. You should make sure you update the icon location to the new location here too. I will move/re-arrange my personal github so make sure you are going to the HubitatCommunity for any updates.
  • Added the updateCheck() routine (thanks @csteele) so you can see if the driver is current.
  • Added a second forecast 'polling' interval. There are now two. One will run the forecast poll interval selected during 'Daytime' hours and the second will run the forecast interval selected during 'Nighttime'. They can be set the same or differently. I did this because I use the illuminance calculation so I wanted the 'Daytime' calculation to run frequently. However, at night I do not need it to run frequently so I reduce the frequency. 'Nighttime' is defined as between Twilight end and Twlight begin.
  • Added an option to run the forecast poll every two minutes ... for those obsessed with current weather data.

[UPDATED]
V4.1.8
09/16/2019

Sorry. Moved icons to a location that can be used by multiple drivers to prevent duplication. Change your Icon location to here

[UPDATED]
V4.1.9
09/16/2019

• Added a log entry when schedule changes from Daytime <--> Nighttime.
  • Although icons remain in the same location (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/HubitatCommunity/WeatherIcons/master/), I have created a TinyURL that reduces the number characters in the path to about 40% of the direct path. This is important as the 'myTile' has seven icons and the full path to those adds to the character limit of a dashboard tile. The TinyURL is: https://tinyurl.com/y6xrbhpf/ . This is now the default for new installations. Existing installations will NOT automatically switch to this. Existing installations should change the preference setting for 'Alternative Icon Location' to this TinyURL.

[UPDATED]
V4.2.0
09/18/2019

• Randomized scheduled start times. This will now pick a random seconds, minutes and/or hours to initiate schedules. I did this so when thousands of users are all polling DarkSky with this driver :smiley: they will not all poll at the exact same time. It will still honor the polling frequency selected in preferences.
  • Added the 'Powered By DarkSky' attribution required by their TOS to both the myTile and the weatherSummary. There is also now an attrbute called 'DSattribute' with the logo and hyperlink. Since there is a 'Light' and a 'Dark' text option you can select your choice of which to use in the preferences. (if you have a light colored background the 'Light' text option may not be visible and if you have a dark colored background the 'Dark' text may not be visible) Four new icons added into WeatherIcon repository. If you copied these to another location you should refresh those files.

[UPDATED]
V4.2.1
09/24/2019

Many 'behind the scene' changes and some noticeable changes inspired by @nh.schottfam. (at least I think it is @nh.schottfam? The changes came from 'imnotbob' through Github. There is no user 'imnotbot' in this community, but my not-so-good stalking led me to believe that 'imnotbob' and @nh.schottfam may be the same user?)

• Optimized the update lux routine so it would check at least every five minutes to see if a daytime/nighttime schedule change was needed (without polling) even if long polling intervals were selected.
  • Re-ordered the Preferences to make it a bit more intuitive (I hope).
  • Corrected that some of the 'Grouped' optional attributes were not showing as available in dashboards and rules.
  • Created three 'Dash' groups for attributes that are required by some dashboard weather tiles (see details below). If your dashboards are not showing/updating information from this driver you think it should be, check these and turn on for the dashboard in question. You should only turn on what you need to minimize database utilization.
  • Changed the Dark Sky optional attribution to show both the light text and the dark text logos, if selected. You still need to select which of those you want to use in 'myTile' and 'weatherSummary' even if you do not have the Dark Sky attribute selected.
  • Optimized some coding to reduce the file size.

DASHBOARD ATTRIBUTES
(please provide feedback if you believe any of this is not right and I will correct ASAP)

2 Likes

[UPDATED]
V4.2.2
09/25/2019

• Added optional attribute 'wind_cardinal' (One to three letter abbreviation, e.g. 'N' or 'NNE')
  • Removed the DarkSky attribution logo/link at the end of the 'weatherSummary'. The html embedded in that was preventing 'weatherSummary' from being spoken (TTS) and caused issues when being used for Notifications.
  • More code clean-up, optimizations, and bug fixing.

Just switched to this driver and am getting

A setting error ?

Thanks

?? The error line number is cut off so I can't tell.

This is the Weather-Display driver ..... you do have Weather-Display software generating a clientraw.txt file from your Personal Weather Station .... right? And you have entered the location of that file into the preferences?

I may have misundertood this driver, isn't this an alternative to apixu for the switch to weatherstack ? I did get a new API key.
Thanks

Close .... but, no. I have another driver that does NOT require a PWS with Weather-Display software as this one does that you probably want. It is here:

Apologies
Thank you very much

1 Like

[UPDATED]
V4.2.3
09/26/2019

• Corrected an issue with myTile when there is a weather alert.

[UPDATED]
V4.2.4
09/26/2019

• Prevent 'myTile' and 'weatherSummary' from exceeding 1,024 characters so they will always show in dashboards.

On 'myTile'
Will show default 'with icons' and 'with html formatting', if possible. If not:
--> Will show 'myTile' with icons removed but with html formatting, if possible. If not:
----> Will show 'myTile' with no icons and no html formatting, if possible. If not:
-------> Will show 'myTile' with no icons, no html formating and text truncated to 1,024 characters.

On 'weatherSummary'
--> Will show 'weatherSummary' text truncated to 1,024 characters.

[UPDATE]
V4.2.5
09/27/2019

• Enhanced 'myTile' handling of greater than 1,024 characters:
    -> Will show default 'with all icons' and 'with html formatting', if possible. If not:
    --> Will show 'myTile' with as many icons as fill fit with html formatting, if possible. If not:
    ----> Will show 'myTile' with all icons removed but with html formatting, if possible. If not:
    ------> Will show 'myTile' with no icons and no html formatting, if possible. If not:
    ---------> Will show 'myTile' with no icons, no html formatting and text truncated to 1,024 characters.

FYI:

I just tried the upgrade 2.1.5.120 and the myTile dashboard tile does not display properly. It appears to be forcing all icons to be a on a row by themselves and left justified. (sorry, I didn't take a screen-shot). I reverted back to 2.1.4.130 all is good with that version.

@jabecker found a fix for 'myTile' in a dashboard with Upgrade 2.1.5.130.

In the dashboard options, under Advanced --> CSS, add the following:

img {
  display: inline;
}
1 Like

[UPDATE]
V4.2.6
09/27/2019

• updated coding so 'myTile' shows correctly without adding Advanced --> CCS as described above. (@jabecker Thanks for the clues on how to fix this!)

I am not certain that my latest code changes 'fixed' the myTile dashboard issue. The good news is that @jabecker 's fix (a few posts up) does work. I say this because I went to a different PC and called up the dashboard with the new code and the spacing was still wierd (Icons on therir own line). I put on @jabecker's fix and it immediately corrected. I deleted the fix and the dashboard stayed fixed .... so that indicates to me the Advanced CSS is retained in the browser cache (maybe?). I think that is why in my testing everything looked good with the Advanced CSS coding removed.

I will keep looking for a better fix on my end.

[UPDATE]
V4.2.7
09/28/2019

• I believe I do have the myTile dashboard fixed now (I hope :crossed_fingers:). I cleared the browser's cache and it looks good WITHOUT the Advanced CSS fix described above. I even went to a different PC that has never displayed the dashboard and called it up and it looks good there.

Let me know if you have any issues.

@Matthew -

I have been using your new WD With DarkSky driver since you released it a few weeks back. It seems to be working well and it's reliably pulling in my station data. I've been keeping up with the various updates you've rolled out (I'm currently using v4.2.7).

I don't know how long this has been going on but noticed today an issue with the driver. I'm currently seeing this in my Hubitat logs (see screenshot). It's some kind of issue related to the ultraviolet index. Note that I am NOT using a UV value from Weather-Display, and have that option turned off accordingly. Can you advise on this issue?