[Release] Virtual Container Driver

Update: 11/19/18
v1.1.20181118

PLEASE NOTE THAT CODE IS IN A NEW LOCATION (SEE BELOW)
IF UPDATING FROM A PRE v1.1.20181115 VERSION, PLEASE HIT THE REFRESH BUTTON AFTER UPDATING

What's new:
Changes are only for developers who would like to create and manage Virtual Containers and their child devices with their smartApps. No changes in terms of functionality for those manually creating Containers using "Add New Driver"
Documentation can be found here:

I don't see a link to the actual code. Also, is the "check for update supposed to work? Because for some reason, I click the check for update but it's still finding v1.1.20181115 as driver on server.

@Ryan780 I forget to update the update checker json...lol. I see the problem and will fix soon.

Updated json. It may take a few minutes for the github to update its cache. Sorry about that.

No problem. Thought maybe I was doing something wrong at first. Glad it was you and not me. :smiley:

1 Like

That's why I don't put my json on github. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would love to put it on my own server but I don't plan to pay for a server to hold a json file :rofl:

1 Like

I have 5 servers I could put it on and I thought "why not put the price tag on the same shelf as the product?" Led me to put the file on github, one per. (vs combining into one.) I don't think it's better, just it's going to be consistent for everything that I hope to ever put out on github.

1 Like

I'd love to see a app written that will move existing devices into new VC's !!!

@Royski nudge nudge

1 Like

Trying this out now but "Create Device" doesn't seem to work. I used Virtual Dimmer to test this bit can't create the device.

Using Quick Create works fine though.

Please provide more details.
What do you have entered for label,type and namespace when you tried to use Create Device?
Were there any errors in the logs? If so, please share them.

Oh, didn't think a namespace was necessary but tried again just now using "hubitat" as the namespace and it works.
I originally put in some random letters as the namespace but that failed to create the container device. What should we really be using as the namespace?

That would depend on the driver. Every driver has a namespace assigned to it in the definition section of the code. Mine for example, is stephack. Hubitats namespace is hubitat.

1 Like

Ahh I see, thanks!

Is this code still available somewhere? The link to github is broken now, but I would like to use this to organize all my Amazon Virtual contact sensors. If there is a new way to do this with-in Hubitat, please share. Thanks in advance!

The location hasn't changed but I believe the forums changed how links are presented over the years. I have updated the link in the original post and also provided it below.

I don't know if this driver still works after all this time or if anyone still uses it :crossed_fingers:...but it should.

Virtual Container

2 Likes

The link works! and the first instance of this driver/child device is working like it should. Hopefully this helps to keep 30+ virtual contact sensors organized and together as I automate between Hubitat and Amazon echo. Thank you!

I still use it, one off my favorites!

1 Like

Still use it here too :wink:

1 Like