[Release] Virtual Container Driver

Well, that's sweet! Somebody figure out how to do this without re-pairing my devices please. I would love this, but don't have the time to futz with pairing temperamental devices all over again unless forced under duress.

1 Like

Great to know, thanks @mike.maxwell. Could you advise what namespace the Hubitat drivers are using, if thats ok? I have a load of bulbs using the "Generic Zigbee Bulb" driver which I'd also like to do the same way. Cheers.

Edit Doesn't matter, I sussed it. :+1:

hubitat should be the namespace for all built in drivers.

1 Like

My mistake was "H" :wink:

Yes, it's sorted by label....so it will cycle in the order displayed in the device list. Same with setLevel. And as an FYI, the level is reset to 0 if you do a refresh.

1 Like

I am unfamiliar with xiaomi devices, is this something that will only work with these devices. Or can we get all of our zigbee devices to group like this?

If I understand. You created virtual devices with the same settings as your physical devices. Then when removed and repaired they joined in place of the virtual devices you created?

Copied the Zigbee ID to an XLS.
Removed my Xioami devices, then installed the Container, then added each device and set the type accordingly. Performed a reset of each device and performed a search. Each device I’d added were then found and the dni was updated and they’re working as required.

I’ve not had the same success with my TRÅDFRI bulbs though. Even though the dni is updated, and they’re found, they don’t respond to commands, which is a shame. So I don’t think this will work for all devices, or maybe there’s a better way.

1 Like

I just gave it a shot with an iris plug I had sitting here. I see the same thing you do. It looks like it paired up, but then pushing configure throws errors in the log. I tried another driver with same results.

Is too bad. This is a great way to clean up the device page.

1 Like

Yeah agree. Love to have had the 15 TRÅDFRI bulbs all grouped :disappointed_relieved:

Now that we have Groups and Scenes it seems like it would be possible to select a device from a Group page much like you can choose an App from the link at the bottom of the Device page.

Hi. The objective was to group the devices in a Container in the devices page, just for organisation purposes. They all work fine if grouped :+1:

Is it possible to have one of my apps automatically create an instance of this device with my apps name and then generate all of the custom virtual devices it creates? I have an interface I've ported that creates all of the virtual devices from my AT&T alarm system.

I'd like to group them like this.

In the original version of this driver when it was in ST, that's exactly how I used it. In the HE version, I dumbed it down for simplicity.

I have been slowly re-adding these capabilities but I havent had the time to really focus on building it in a way that is easy for others to use. It's not hard to do, I just want to do it right the first time. For instance, I can easily add code that will pass on and off statuses back up the chain to your app. Where things can get tricky is catering for the other device types. Not sure I want to maintain code for every possible variation.

If you look in my github device type section there is a testing folder. Feel free to use what I have done so far and PM me any questions you have.

I'll try to add a couple of basic childOn childOff functions sometime soon.

The HE staff have also hinted at upcoming UI changes so I plan to wait and see what they have up their sleaves before devoting too much time to this.

2 Likes

@patrick, are these UI updates coming soon? No rush...was just curious if this might be around the corner or quite a ways off.

1 Like

You know we never commit to timelines, but it is soon.

2 Likes

Is it possible to get your Sonos preset app? I tried the one in your Git, but 1) it didn't create the child devices, and 2) it didn't show the Pandora stations that I want as a playlist options. Maybe include some way of capturing the currently playing URI? Thanks!

I think I need to relocate that code :smiley:

It is not functional in HE. See my copy and paste response for others who have asked about it.

It's something I had setup in ST...primarily to control my Sonos Speakers with my pico remotes and Alexa. It let me create a virtual device for all my Favorites/Playlists/Stations and cycle/control them easily. Unfortunately the way HE stores the uri's is very different and unpredictable. I got it to work in general, but if you save certain types of radio stations it flakes out. It turned into a real time suck and every time Mike updates the Sonos driver, more things flake out. I'm not sure if I'll ever go back to trying it.

FYI...this was the main reason I initially created Virtual Containers. They were a bit more complicated but essentially the container was the Sonos device and each child was a favorite/playlist. This made controlling through Alexa easy in a variety of ways...all with one app. Sadly I doubt I'll ever release it on Hubitat.

@stephack

That's why I pay for the 'private' repositories on GitHub :slight_smile:

Andy

3 Likes

the new update has seperated all of my devices :frowning:

1 Like

Me too. :frowning: