[DEPRECATED] Universal Ecobee Suite, Version 1.8.01

Ecobee Suite updated on 7 May 2020 at 11:05am EDT

I've been holding back several minor fixes to minimize the number of updates I release, but now I need to release them all.

Fixes include:

• Ecobee Suite Manager, version 1.8.42
    • Optimized stat.settings change detection
    • Better error handling for new installations
    • Renamed Smart Switch/Dimmer/Vent to Switch/Dimmer/Fan (see below)
    • Fix conversion error in setProgramSetpoints()
  • Ecobee Suite Quiet Time, version 1.8.08
    • Fix for multi-word Climate names
  • Ecobee Suite Routines, version 1.8.16
  • Ecobee Suite Smart Circulation, version 1.8.10
    • Fix settings descriptive text for minFanOnTime==0
  • Ecobee Suite Smart Humidity, version 1.8.09
  • Ecobee Suite Smart Mode, version 1.8.21
    • Fix label display for " (Cool"
  • Ecobee Suite Smart Room, version 1.8.16
    • Better active/inactive determinations
  • Ecobee Suite Smart Switches, version 1.8.12
    • Added status to app.label
    • Option to treat 'fan only' as 'idle'
    • Fix on/off/restore logic errors
    • NEW FEATURE! added native support for fan controllers
      • After realizing that not all fan controllers support the dimmer setLevel() command, I added support for the setSpeed() command.
      • Speed is one of: low, medium low, medium, medium high, high, off, on, auto.
      • Not all fanControl devices support all of these speed names, so you will have to choose based on your installed fan controller device.
      • The Helper will send the requested speed, followed by an on()/off() command if the fan controller supports the switch capability
    • changed the Helper displayName to Smart Switch/Dimmer/Fan Helper
  • Ecobee Suite Smart Vents, version 1.8.11
    • Tweaked minimumVentLevel type conversions
  • Eocbee Suite Thermal Comfort, version 1.8.16
    • Add missing function for Do Not Disturb
    • HOTFIX: Custom notifications page error
  • Ecobee Suite Working From Home, version 1.8.16

These updates are highly recommended for all users

2 Likes

Just loaded this in via Package Manager (brilliant). Everything looks great across four Ecobee 3s with extra sensors. I'd like to access the motion detection feature of the sensors as a dashboard button, but building a button of device "EcobeeSensor: SensorName" + template "Motion" results in an "unknown" state on the button.

What can I do with the EcobeeSensor devices on Dashboard?

I just double-checked my Hubitat installation, and the motion template indeed shows active/inactive for EcobeeSensor devices, as you are expecting. You probably just need to wait for the sensors to be updated. Check the device page for the sensor you are trying to use, and look at what the value for the motion attribute is.

By default, the Ecobee cloud is polled only every 3 minutes, and it can take a couple of cycles for all the attributes to be updated. I always suggest changing the default to 1 minute cycles, BTW - that's as close to "real time" as you can get with Ecobee...

2 Likes

Just a quick follow-up: yes, the sensors register "unknown" state if they haven't been triggered at least once after being registered by Ecobee Suite. Once the sensor has a state change, it registers a "occupied/active" state or a "inactive" state. I just hadn't triggered any of them before I started building the dashboard. Also, they show both the measured temp and the active state on the same button, nice!

I am not using any of the room sensors. Is it possible to access the motion sensor that it built into the thermostat? I have the thermostat in my mud room, and it would be nice when it detects motion to turn on my lights in that room.

Unfortunately, the Ecobee sensors are really “occupancy” and not “motion” sensors - they take up to 15 minutes to decide that the motion they see means “occupied.” So they won’t work for your use case.

Sorry...

Barry is there any battery reporting with the sensors? Been meaning to ask but forgot.

Sorry, no battery reporting, but you will see in Live Logging that a sensor has become disconnected. The problem is, they can disconnect temporarily and reconnect on their own, or they can disconnect when the battery dies.

Personally, I rely on the Email Alerts that Ecobee sends me whenever a Sensor's battery is low...

Ecobee Suite Updates posted on 16 May 2020 at 7:40am

Fixes include:

• Ecobee Suite Thermostat, version 1.8.15
    • Eliminate duplicate resumeProgram() when changing programs/climates
  • Ecobee Suite Open Contacts, version 1.8.22
    • Display current program in label display
  • Ecobee Suite Routines, version 1.8.17
    • Fix getThermostatPrograms()
  • Ecobee Suite Smart Mode, version 1.8.22
  • Ecobee Suite Smart Room, version 1.8.17
    • More room activation improvements
  • Ecobee Suite Smart Vents, version 1.8.12
  • Ecobee Suite Thermal Comfort, version 1.8.17
  • Ecobee Suite Working From Home, 1.8.17

These fixes are recommended for all Ecobee Suite installations

I just installed this for the first time and see this error in my logs for the Contacts & Switches helper:

java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method capitalize() on null object on line 1521 (updated)

Has anyone else seen this?

My bad - it's an initialization error that has probably cleared itself up already.

If not, try this (development) version - I'll post it generally a bit later, as I have a couple other Hotfixes to post: Ecobee Suite Open Contacts Hotfix

1 Like

Thanks! I decided to migrate this app to ST, instead of keeping it on HE. This hotfix worked great over there, though.

Ecobee Suite Updates posted on 22 May 2020 at 1:10pm EDT

A few minor fixes and enhancements:

• Ecobee Suite Thermostat, version 1.8.16
    • Handles bug in Hubitat Dashboard's thermostat template that sends " on" instead of "on" when trying to set the thermostatFanMode
  • Ecobee Suite Manager, version 1.8.43
    • Optimize zipCode, timeZone, sunRise/sunSet
    • Since Ecobee no longer keeps track of the Zip Code for each thermostat, I had to deprecate the code that was allowing for different thermostats to be in different zip codes. Now prefers geographic coordinates for device-specific matters
    • If a thermostats' location has not been set, then there will be no weather data; fixed code to ignore weather in this case instead of failing. Also logs an error noting that the location needs to be set.
  • Ecobee Suite Open Contacts, version 1.8.23
    • Fixed initialization error with new label display
  • Ecobee Suite Smart Switches, version 1.8.13
    • Changed so that deactivations only occur outside the 'disabled' time window - by default, switches will be left in the state they were. If desired, you can force the switch state to be "deactivated" when the disabled time window starts

These updates are minor in nature

1 Like

I am having an issue with using Open Contacts and Smart Mode together. Maybe I am not understanding how both of these function but it seems that if I use open contacts and close all of the open contacts that the smart mode will never take back over and turn the furnace back on to cooling even though the temperature threshold has been met. I am attaching a couple of shots of my logs when this occurs:
Open Contacts Log

Smart Mode Log

I don't know why but it seems to think that Open Contacts still has a modeoff request when I believe it should not.

Any help in understanding this would be greatly appreciated! I really like this software and hope I can make this work.
Chris

Try this:

1. open the Open Contacts Helper, turn on Pause and then click Done. This will delete all of its reservations.
  2. Make sure ALL of the Contacts are closed,
  3. Make sure that your HVAC is in the normal mode you want
  4. open the Open Contacts Helper, turn off Pause, and click Done.

The two should work fine together - I have 2 such setups, one for the upstairs zone and another for the downstairs zone. The trick is getting everything to the proper state when you open and save the Open Contacts Helper...

I think my problem with this was that I had smart mode set to turn the furnace off when it was between the high and low temperatures. I set it to auto and it seems to be working now. I will also keep the steps above in mind in case something gets out of sync in the future. Thank you for the information!

Chris

Since updating, I keep getting this error in the logs:

*** INITIALIZATION ERROR *** PLEASE SET POSTAL CODE FOR LOCATION 'Home'

Please where should I set the postal code?

Thanks

Hubitat Main Menu, Settings, Location, Postal Code.

Also, set the Latitude and Longitude for your location on that same page.

1 Like

Anyone find a workaround for 2FA issues?

I suggest you report them to Ecobee - last person who did reported that Ecobee acknowledged their problem. Not sure if they fixed it, or if you have to turn off 2FA to get authorized...