[DEPRECATED] Universal Ecobee Suite, Version 1.8.01

I was thinking individual room control. So if Ecobee sees a room is hotter/colder than the others/avg it would change the fan to high and once temp avg is achieved reset fan back to original state.

Thoughts?

Did you update without noticing? Those look like the new versions.

His post was 2:54. I didn’t update until 3:30. Not sure.

I do know that GitHub caches read requests, but I don't know if there are more than one cache.

Perhaps the Package Manager needs to do a noCache HTTP read request to get the packageManager.json files it uses.

1 Like

Try the Smart Circulation and/or the Smart Vents & Switches Helpers. Even though they seem focused on opening/closing vents, they can also be used to control ANY switch. The former tries to increase the minimum minutes per hour that the HVAC fan runs, based on temperature deltas across multiple rooms. The latter turns on "vents or switches" when a room is too cold (HVAC in heat mode) or too hot (HVAC in cool mode). Try it with your fans - it MIGHT work...

Note, however, that running a ceiling fan won't cool down the ambient temperature - it just moves air. If you are under the fan, you will feel cooler, but the temperature of the room won't change noticeably.

NOTICE: As of 5 August 2020, Ecobee Suite now supports Ecobee's new authentication scheme

See here for more information

# IMPORTANT WARNING ABOUT ECOBEE 2-FACTOR AUTHENTICATION

Over the past couple of weeks, several users have reported that they are unable to authenticate with Ecobee.

Ecobee Support has acknowledged that there is a problem with 2-Factor Authentication that breaks 3rd party application authentication. Apparently, once you turn 2FA, you won't be able to authenticate any new applications, even if you turn 2FA back off!

Existing applications that are already authenticated seem to continue to operate properly.

Therefore, I recommend to my users:

DO NOT TURN ON ECOBEE 2-FACTOR AUTHENTICATION, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!!

NOTE: You may have to authenticate again due to an Ecobee server outage, so please don't turn 2FA on even if you have already authenticated.

Ecobee Support says they are working on the problem - I will post an update once I hear that they have fixed their issue.

5 Likes

FWIW, and more data points, I had an existing data connection which stopped working because of the data outage but I didn't know and ended up getting disconnected and had to reauthenticate. I was able to disable 2FA temporarily, reauthenticate, then turn 2FA back on again.

I've been running Ecobee Suite Manager for 6 months or so and love it.
I am having an issue that has been ongoing the whole time, however.
About once or twice a day, I get "]and [ has been open for 10 minutes, Downstairs Thermostat and Upstairs Thermostat are now off" from the Open Contacts App. Looking through the logs and system events, I have not been able to correlate this to any event or see any particular problem, it just seems to happen randomly. However, it is a major issue for the usability of the app because it is randomly turning off my HVAC when a "phantom" device opens. I have to manually turn the hvac back on every time this happens, or wait for another legitimate open/close event to reset it. For a while I just had the helper paused because it was getting too annoying. I really want to be able to use this app because when it works, it works well!
Any idea what could be causing this?

Btw, I am on ecobee Suite Open Contacts version 1.8.12 and
Ecobee Suite Manager 1.8.21 which is about a month old, but I don't see any update notes that mention this issue since then.
Also, should mention that I do not have any contacts open when this event happens.

Usually this is caused by a faulty or low-battery condition in one of the contact sensors that you have configured.

You say that you haven't been able to find anything in the logs - you may need to set up Live Logging and just let it run until it catches one of these events...or maybe if you go to the Log page on your Hubitat and select "Show Past Logs" you might be able to find some clues. The Open Contacts Helper logs every event that it sees in sensorOpened() and sensorClosed() (so long as you have debug and info logging enabled), so you should be able to find out the offending device fairly easily...

Ecobee Suite updated on 7 May 2020 at 11:05am EDT

I've been holding back several minor fixes to minimize the number of updates I release, but now I need to release them all.

Fixes include:

• Ecobee Suite Manager, version 1.8.42
    • Optimized stat.settings change detection
    • Better error handling for new installations
    • Renamed Smart Switch/Dimmer/Vent to Switch/Dimmer/Fan (see below)
    • Fix conversion error in setProgramSetpoints()
  • Ecobee Suite Quiet Time, version 1.8.08
    • Fix for multi-word Climate names
  • Ecobee Suite Routines, version 1.8.16
  • Ecobee Suite Smart Circulation, version 1.8.10
    • Fix settings descriptive text for minFanOnTime==0
  • Ecobee Suite Smart Humidity, version 1.8.09
  • Ecobee Suite Smart Mode, version 1.8.21
    • Fix label display for " (Cool"
  • Ecobee Suite Smart Room, version 1.8.16
    • Better active/inactive determinations
  • Ecobee Suite Smart Switches, version 1.8.12
    • Added status to app.label
    • Option to treat 'fan only' as 'idle'
    • Fix on/off/restore logic errors
    • NEW FEATURE! added native support for fan controllers
      • After realizing that not all fan controllers support the dimmer setLevel() command, I added support for the setSpeed() command.
      • Speed is one of: low, medium low, medium, medium high, high, off, on, auto.
      • Not all fanControl devices support all of these speed names, so you will have to choose based on your installed fan controller device.
      • The Helper will send the requested speed, followed by an on()/off() command if the fan controller supports the switch capability
    • changed the Helper displayName to Smart Switch/Dimmer/Fan Helper
  • Ecobee Suite Smart Vents, version 1.8.11
    • Tweaked minimumVentLevel type conversions
  • Eocbee Suite Thermal Comfort, version 1.8.16
    • Add missing function for Do Not Disturb
    • HOTFIX: Custom notifications page error
  • Ecobee Suite Working From Home, version 1.8.16

These updates are highly recommended for all users

2 Likes

Just loaded this in via Package Manager (brilliant). Everything looks great across four Ecobee 3s with extra sensors. I'd like to access the motion detection feature of the sensors as a dashboard button, but building a button of device "EcobeeSensor: SensorName" + template "Motion" results in an "unknown" state on the button.

What can I do with the EcobeeSensor devices on Dashboard?

I just double-checked my Hubitat installation, and the motion template indeed shows active/inactive for EcobeeSensor devices, as you are expecting. You probably just need to wait for the sensors to be updated. Check the device page for the sensor you are trying to use, and look at what the value for the motion attribute is.

By default, the Ecobee cloud is polled only every 3 minutes, and it can take a couple of cycles for all the attributes to be updated. I always suggest changing the default to 1 minute cycles, BTW - that's as close to "real time" as you can get with Ecobee...

2 Likes

Just a quick follow-up: yes, the sensors register "unknown" state if they haven't been triggered at least once after being registered by Ecobee Suite. Once the sensor has a state change, it registers a "occupied/active" state or a "inactive" state. I just hadn't triggered any of them before I started building the dashboard. Also, they show both the measured temp and the active state on the same button, nice!

I am not using any of the room sensors. Is it possible to access the motion sensor that it built into the thermostat? I have the thermostat in my mud room, and it would be nice when it detects motion to turn on my lights in that room.

Unfortunately, the Ecobee sensors are really “occupancy” and not “motion” sensors - they take up to 15 minutes to decide that the motion they see means “occupied.” So they won’t work for your use case.

Sorry...

Barry is there any battery reporting with the sensors? Been meaning to ask but forgot.

Sorry, no battery reporting, but you will see in Live Logging that a sensor has become disconnected. The problem is, they can disconnect temporarily and reconnect on their own, or they can disconnect when the battery dies.

Personally, I rely on the Email Alerts that Ecobee sends me whenever a Sensor's battery is low...

Ecobee Suite Updates posted on 16 May 2020 at 7:40am

Fixes include:

• Ecobee Suite Thermostat, version 1.8.15
    • Eliminate duplicate resumeProgram() when changing programs/climates
  • Ecobee Suite Open Contacts, version 1.8.22
    • Display current program in label display
  • Ecobee Suite Routines, version 1.8.17
    • Fix getThermostatPrograms()
  • Ecobee Suite Smart Mode, version 1.8.22
  • Ecobee Suite Smart Room, version 1.8.17
    • More room activation improvements
  • Ecobee Suite Smart Vents, version 1.8.12
  • Ecobee Suite Thermal Comfort, version 1.8.17
  • Ecobee Suite Working From Home, 1.8.17

These fixes are recommended for all Ecobee Suite installations

I just installed this for the first time and see this error in my logs for the Contacts & Switches helper:

java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method capitalize() on null object on line 1521 (updated)

Has anyone else seen this?