[RELEASE] Tuya Temperature Humidity Illuminance LCD Display with a Clock (w/ healthStatus)

Thank you for this app. Easily paired and installed a TZE200_LOCANSQN model TS0601. I set the temp scale to Fahrenheit and the app's reported temperature is F, but the display shows C and all the app settings are in C.

The website says the device will display in F, and it shows using the Tuya Smart app to change the settings, I have the Tuya app installed on my phone and working for another device, but can't figure out how to install this device to the Tuya app, apparently with wifi?

Any suggestions or ideas for getting the device and app to be 100% Fahrenheit appreciated.

1 Like

@Inge_Jones this seems like a hardware problem, but to be sure you can reset the device (probably by holding the pair/reset button for 20-30 seconds) and leave it working offline with the new batteries for a day or two.

@arnb I don't own exactly the same device, so we may need to make some trial-and-error tests.

Is there a button C/F on the device itself? If you press it shortly, does it change the temperature readings between Celsius and Fahrenheit on the LCD display?

If changing the scale from the device button works, please check if there are any debug logs sent by the device at this time.

I think we've discussed this before with @Inge_Jones and now I agree that it may be a good idea to simplify these temperature scale options. I can't think of a use case where someone would need to have a particular device temperature scale to be different than the Temp Scale that is already configured in the HE hub Settings -> Hub Details. So the 'Temperature Scale' option in this driver can be simply removed, and the C/F scale configuration can be send to the devices based on the hub scale setting.

Same for the maxTempAlarm and minTempAlarm attributes - these may make sense when used with Tuya Smart app to trigger automation there, but in Hubitat we have much more flexible and powerful means to trigger alarms from RM 5.1 or other HE apps, so these can be removed in the next diver update as well.

Please first confirm that your particular device can really change the C/F scale on the display. Often the advertising materials on Tuya products are wrong or misleading.

You will need Tuya Zigbee gateway in order to control the device from SmartLife mobile app. But let's hope we can get it working without it.

I am working on an alternative theory now, by virtue of having my second hub. I will know the results in a day or so...

2 Likes

The directions that arrived with the device use such a small font, some of it is unreadable using my cell phone to enlarge the info. It also implies most settings, including F or C on the display, may be done after the device is paired with a Tuya hub

I am planning using these mainly for humidity sensors with a personal app controlling my mini-split system's cooling function using Dew Point. The app works now using a single humidity sensor from an Ecobee thermostat and I was unsure how accurate that was for the whole house, so I purchased these three inexpensive devices.

The additional temperature readings will also get used but are not all that important for me. Having the display show F would be really nice, but not a deal breaker.

I have three of these devices, all with slightly varying temperatures and humidity readings. Based upon my experience with the Dew Point app, the calculation is very sensitive to the humidity reading. Having an adjustment offset similar to how temperature is adjusted in the generic temp/humidity app for the temp and humidity settings is important to me. Any chance this could be added to the app?

Also my HE system is defined to be using F, and while I could set things up with C, my brain prefers F. Unsure why the input settings remain as C when I set it's input setting the F.

There is one button on the top of the device, holding it for 5 or more seconds factoryresets the device. I've found no pin holes on the device, just some openings for the alarm

I don't really care about the audio alarms.

Also one other things keeps occurring, I set the humidity reporting % to 1, but it keeps coming back as 6. However the events show it reporting 1 and 2% changes, but that could be the 1800 second max reporting timer.

Update: Humidity reporting appears to be working more often than 1800 seconds and with variances less than 6%

1 Like

Here in Europe a lot of goods come with leaflets in 10 or more different languages, printed in such small font that makes these practically useless..

Try pressing this button shortly. Anything in the debug logs?
Next try clicking the same button 2 times quickly, Does the C/F display change?

This has been on my TODO list for quite a long, it is time now to add it in the next update.

Most probably there is a difference in the way C/F scale is coded in the different Tuya models. This issue will disappear when I remove the user selectable scale and use only the HE system scale setting.

I will temporary comment out these.

I will check if the minimum and the maximum reporting intervals for the humidity can be really configured for your device TZE200_LOCANSQN or not. If no way to really configure it for your particular device, I will hide these settings from the device web UI.

Is your device branded HAOZEE? Any brand printed on the box the device came with?

1 Like

Set Debug logging and descriptive text logging to true prior to testing

Nothing in logs, no change on device's display

:+1:

Agreed although it's trivial (imho) to have the HE input selections correspond to the user's temperature scale no matter which scale the device's reporting.

No identifying information on the box, device, or packaging

I pulled power to see what would occur. The device went back to factory settings, reconnected, however the app reset my input settings with factory settings
Humidity Sensitivity changed from 1 to 6
Temperature Sensitivity changed from .25C to .6C

It also appears that some of the now in use factory settings did not show as changed on the input setting
Time for Temperature and Humidity went to factory 120 minutes but show as 1800 seconds on the inputs

The log is quite long

Summary

1 Like

Tried an experiment by breathing into the holes on the side of the device. Humidity quickly went to 99% and I kept it there for a while, but it was not reported in the event log.

Also the temp and humidity settings are randomly resetting to .6C and 6% respectively then remaining there.

1 Like

I've checked a lot of information on this device, but couldn't find any proof that the C/F scale can be controlled from the Zigbee channel.

I have another device (the device on the third picture, _TZ3000_qaaysllp) that has two physical buttons on the top - one is for pairing/reset and the second is for switching C/F. When pressing the C/F physical button, the temperature and the scale symbol changed between C/F on the LCD display.

However, when the same device is connected to Tuya gateway and is controlled by Tuya SmartLife app, it does not switch between Celsius and Fahrenheit on the LCD display, All it does is to change the scale inside Tuya mobile app. The display shows the temperature in the scale that was selected with the physical button before. So event Tuya app can not control from the Zigbee channel the temperature scale mode, just changes the readings inside the app.

All information available on GitHub shows the same problem, C/F settings on the LCD display can not be changed. BTW, I can not find a single picture that shows temperature shown in Fahrenheit ..

For your device - please try what I suggested before - quickly double-press the only physical button on the top. I remember that I read somewhere this may change the C/F scale on the display. You can also ask the seller if there is a way to change the scale from the device button. Tell them that SmartLife app does not change the display.

Appreciate the time you expended researching this device.

Does not work, tried that many times.

Do you have a link to this information?

I did find this on the customer reviews. Guess I missed that :man_shrugging:

"The only reason I'm giving it 4 stars instead of 5 is that I can't switch the LCD temperature display to Fahrenheit. To be fair, I'm using this with a Hubitat C7 hub"

1 Like

I was experimenting with my device (different model) paired to Tuya GW and using Tuya SmartLife app. So this 'Celsius/Fahrenheit' option affects only the app UI, but not the LCD display. So if even a device that is capable of switching the LCD display to F (by a press of the physical button) can not be switched to F from Tuya app, there is zero chance this functionality to be working for device that even does not have a C/F switching button...

Anyway, at least the conversion to F in the info logs should be correct, so I will fix this in the next update. Also the temperature and the humidity offset.

1 Like

While you are into the code, please check this out. It appears some settings may be sent as 0. Also noticed that minimum time is not set for temp and humidity reporting.

1 Like

Please update the driver to the latest dev. branch version (the link in the second post). The changes in this update are:

• removed degrees symbol from the logs;
  • temporary commented out minTempAlarm maxTempAlarm minHumidityAlarm maxHumidityAlarm; removed temperatureScaleParameter,
  • Max Temp and Humi reporting time for 'TS0601_Haozee' is converted to minutes;
  • humiditySensitivity and temperatureSensitivity bug fixes;

This device (_TZE200_locansqn) does not have a configurable minimum reporting time for temp and humidity, only the maximum reporting period can be set up. So I would expect the T and H to be updated as soon as the change is greater than the sensitivity threshold values. As there was a bug in this setup, please try to change the configurable parameters again.

There is one big uncertainty, however... As this is a battery-powered device, It is not known at this time whether it accepts the parameters changes at any time, or only when it is 'awake'. If simply changing the settings and clicking on 'Save' does not have any effect, please try pushing shortly the pair button at the same time when you change the settings. Some AA/AAA batteries powered devices accept the incoming Zigbee commands all the time, but we don't know for this one.

1 Like

One more clarification for the others that may be following this thread:

When a preference parameter is changed outside of the user input (change the value and then click on the Save button), HE web page is not updated immediately. The same applies to the State Variables values. The user must often press F5 in the browser to update the currently shown values.

In this driver, 'preferences' like temperature and humidity sensors, maximum reporting periods, etc.. are updated also when the device itself reports these parameter values - usually when the batteries are removed and reinserted again. You will need to press F5 to refresh the device web page to be sure that the parameters shown on the screen are the actual values at the moment.

If you change a parameter from the device WEB UI, and after refreshing the page later you see that the old values have returned back - this means, that the parameter change was not successful for some reason (most probably the device was not awake at the time of the parameter change). When and whether the device will report back the parameters to HE depends solely on the device firmware and the behavior is different for the different devices. As said, the best chance to detect such a discrepancy is after battery removal and reinsertion a few seconds later.

Using the production version I noticed the temp and humidity values always revert to .6 and 6% respectively, but the max reporting time retains my settings.

Installed the development branch version, then had to redo the temp and humidity values again. Hopefully they will hold this time.

Just wondering when the device sends the settings values and they differ from the user defined values, could resending them at this time help make them stick? Also rather than replace the user settings put out a paragraph that the settings are inactive.

My hub is set for F, and two devices are reporting events in F, one is on C. Any ideas?

Update: one device already reverted to default setting, however this time both reporting times changed from 1800 to 7200

Update2: the device reporting C changed to F, All devices reverted to default settings.

1 Like

Try changing the parameters now, while pressing the button on the device at the same time.

Holding the button for 5 seconds factory resets the device and it requires a re-pairing. However I will give it a try

Ok held the button for less than 5 seconds, clicked save preferences, First time temp setting immediately reverted to 6, second time temp max reporting time, they all held on the third try. Will check later.

1 Like

I have just uploaded an update of the dev. branch version 1.0.8 2022/08/08 8:59 PM, where you can check also the offsets for the temperature and the humidity readings.

This is an option that I can explore, but I foresee problems in this approach, There is no guarantee that the second transmission will be successful, I must be sure this will not create an endless loop.

A better working approach would be to implement something similar to what I did in the "Zigbee Reporting Configuration" driver a long time ago, although it became rather complex and I never finished it the way I wished to be.

A much simpler to implement configuration option is to make sure that the configured parameters are sent to the device in the moment when it is re-paired again to HE. I will test this later tonight, usually, all Zigbee sleepy devices accept configuration commands that are sent immediately after the pairing!

1 Like

Installed, the offsets are a great addition will set them later

Perhaps set a state field with a terxt message when there is a settings mismatch, then display it on the device page as a paragraph rather than override the user's settings.

Agreed. Should a loop be possible it must be controlled, limited and ultimately ended. I guess this would depend on how often and when the device sends its current settings.

That would be a very good solution, but the code that overrides the user's settings must be removed.

Updated the settings on two devices that were not done earlier today. Like the first device, a few rounds of updates, clicking the device's button, and changing the overridden settings was required to get various settings to stick on the device page.

The first device I did earlier today was holding it's settings

@arnb last update for today, timestamp 2022/08/08 9:50 PM
Now the preference parameters are sent very quickly when the device is paired to HE.

I tested it with another thermometer and it works for me 100% now.
Set the preferred parameters, press Save, and the changed values are stored.
Pair the device again to HE, the stored parameters are sent to the device and accepted.

I prefer to keep it this way for now. Removing the code that overrides the 'desired' parameters with the actual/real parameter values that are sent by the device will bring another problem - the user thinks that the device will operate as configured in the Preferences section, but it will not, because the parameters were actually not accepted and are not in effect.