[DEPRECATED] Kasa Plug, Switch, and Bulb integration

Porquepine,

Welcome to the quagmire. Since I do not know your expertise, I may seem to be stating the obvious. Provide answers to all of the following:

Kasa App - Are all devices installed with and controllable through the Kasa Application? If not, they will probably not work here since both rely on the same IP addressing scheme.

IP Segment - Are all the devices on the same IP segment (i.e., 192.168.1) as Hubitat? If not, correct and try again.

Separate WiFi network (i.e., guest). If on a guest WiFi network, It may not work - especially if the network is not set up to share data with other devices. Make sure no devices are on Guest WiFi networks or assure that the WiFi network is set to share data with normal WiFi network.

Device Type - I have most plug, switch, and bulb device types coded. There are two filament bulbs that are currently not available. What are the device types you can not see?

Think about these and we will find a way forward.

Dave

1 Like

Dave,

Should this work with this app? TP-Link KP303 Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Power Strip 3-Outlets 2 USB Ports | eBay

Thanks Mike. That was going to be my very next question. :grin:

I'm hoping it follows the HS300 and should be pretty compatible.

1 Like

Mike,

I just updated the Application. KP303 will install as a multi-plug.

Note: the product is not on the US TP-Link website yet, but is is in Australia.

Dave

2 Likes

Thanks Dave, I just purchased one, so I'll give it a shot next week when it arrives. Mike

Ditto

The device looks interesting. It is not available in the US, only a six-plug bar, which I really like.

Dave

I got the device today, installed it, and it's all working well, after I updated the app.

Thanks Dave. Some sweet action there.

The device is very well made too, as are most TP-link devices, from my experience.

2 Likes

hey @djgutheinz , question are you able to remove the cloud integration on these plugs at all? It would be cool being able to lock them to my local network only and restrict all external cloud connectivity. I did it from a firewall standpoint and the app then said "local only" but the HE integration was then broken so I had to open the firewall backup.

Yes. Use my Kasa Tools application. It will unbind the device (make it local only in the Kasa Application). To return to cloud control, you can use my Kasa tools or the Kasa application.

I am thinking of adding this to the "options" for the drivers. I need feedback prior to doing this.

3 Likes

Thanks for that mate. Yesterday I placed the plug on a different VLAN which worked fine however I am unable to change the IP on the device in HE without removing it all together. I have also tried to update using your Kasa device application however it cannot find it and seems to be stuck on old IP e.g. wrong VLAN. I was able to see it with your Kasa tools application because it allowed me to input it's new ip manually and remove it from the cloud which was good thanks for that.

My question to you now is there a quick way I can manually input the new IP either at the device or application level so I don't need to remove this completely and then fix my rules?

If you uninstall the device then do a manual installation, you can enter the IP manually on that installation. The application can't find devices not on the same VLAN as the Hub.

1 Like

Hi there, after much research I'm leaning toward using Hubitat for my smarthome. I will be losing internet connectivity next month (since satellite internet is my only option and I'm tired of paying 70/month for 20gb of data...) and need an offline solution for my already established smart home. I have about 10 tp-link light switches and the rest are Lutron. I know Hubitat already has support for Lutron but see that tp-link isn't really officially supported. My question is do you need a local network to use the tp-link integration? I'm planning on dumping my routers since they won't have a connection to any ISP come next month. Will I be able to use Hubitat to connect directly to my tp-link switches? TIA.

The TP-Link devices require a 2.4Ghz network connection which a WiFi router provides (not Hubitat). You would also need the router to communicate to the Hub (lan connected) and to the Smart Bridge Pro if you’re using clear connect devices. You’re going to need Internet for the initial setup if you want the latest software, and if I remember correctly, you’ll need to have whichever router you will be using (and internet connection) to connect the TP-Link devices initially using the TP-Link app. After this is all set up, you will only need the router with WiFi as long as you have a time server on the network. I believe Asus makes a router with this capability. You can search the forum for more information on going off the grid.
Dashboards can be used over WiFi or ethernet locally without internet access to control devices, and the web ui is all local as well for setting up rules, devices, etc.

2 Likes

I am having a similar problem. However, I am unable to even discover the Hs105s in tp-link integration app. Though I am able to discover them in Kasa App. Any Solutions?

@ken4

The Hubitat Hub to Lutron Caseta Pro Hub connection is wired so you only need an ethernet switch for that portion. I believe you will need an internet connection to setup the Lutron and, of course, if you want to use the Lutron App. I don't think you need a connection once setup except for software updates which, so far, seem fairly infrequent. I have never tried pulling the plug on the internet to see what happens to the Caseta devices . . . I suppose that's a test I should perform!

I could not find any of my devices until I removed the alexa app connection to tp-link. Once alexa was removed, the devices appeared.

Do you have the kasa skill for alexa installed?

Do a manual installation of the devices. They may not be on the same LAN segment as your Hubitat device.

Dave

Thanks for the response. I was actually able to solve my issue with discovering my Kasa mini HS105 plugs last night. They wouldn't connect to my standard Home wifi network, while they had no problems connecting to my Guest Wifi and being discovered through the kasa app. I discovered this to be an issue for hubitat. It wasn't very happy about those IP addresses coming from another network. As for why they wouldn't connect to my Home network for 3 hours, I'm still not entirely sure what was going on with my router. I power cycled the router and played with some of my router's settings. I Was able to finally discover them through hubitat integration, but only once the HS105s connected to the same router as the ethernet LAN port on the HE. Seems to be working without any issues. Loving it so far.

1 Like

Update to 4.5.12. Updated the drivers to 4.5.12. Main changes:

For quick refresh on Switches, The driver will not send an event unless the new state is different than the old state.
For the Energy Monitor functions, same exclusion based on Power level.

This should eliminate all of the spurious events being generated in smart apps and reduce system overhead.

Dave

1 Like