[DEPRECATED] Kasa Plug, Switch, and Bulb integration

Hello fellow Page whos first name also starts with J...
The "Cloud" version of the app was depreciated a while ago and merged with the main app. Looks like you have quite the mess going on there. I would try going to "uninstall" and try to remove the Cloud version. It might fail if you have any devices attached to the app or drivers it thinks are part of that cloud version. Might also break part of what you have setup unfortunately.

Could also try to "Modify" the cloud version and deselect all the options.

If it thinks the devices are attached to it still, you may need to do a "Modify" on the regular one, and install any drivers you need. Then go to each device and switch the driver to the new one, not sure how to tell which is which though since they have the same names :confused:

Honestly its going to be tricky to clean up.

The easiest way if you don't have a ton of devices integrated into other apps is going to just be to delete it all and then reinstall it clean from HPM.

First, for clarification, the cloud version is the same code as the other version. (There is a reason for what I did). It is deprecated to preclude new installations from using the Cloud version but there is no impact on you.

Second, unless you have a lot of devices, I would recommend deleting all devices, uninstalling all apps, then deleting all drivers/apps through HPM and then manually for the third one. You actually installed two versions today within 3 seconds of each other?????

I'll do that.. I'm guessing maybe I manually installed this driver and then installed it via HPM.. that's the only thing I can think of. I've also used HPM's 'match up' feature before but not sure why that would install another copy of the driver. Anyway, I like the delete everything and re-install approach to keep things clean!

You actually installed two versions today within 3 seconds of each other?????

I updated via HPM.. guessing it updated both versions at the same time

1 Like

I recently bought a set of Kasa 125's and I was able to install them and get them working with Hubitat with no problem. They replaced a set of Sengled dimmable bulbs and they work fine with the existing scenes and simple workflows.

However, I was trying to do something fun with the color capabilities using Webcore and have hit some snags switching back to CT mode after they are in RGB mode. I can't figure out how to capture the Color Temperature in WebCore - everything seems to return 0. The Capture/Restore Attributes doesn't seem to work with Color Temperature.

I'm just trying to capture the state of two bulbs, flash each of them using two colors and then restore the original state of the bulbs - to the color if they were set in RGB mode or to the color temp if they were in in CT mode.

Does anyone have any hints on what I'm missing? Is this possible to do without WebCore?

Thanks,
KGB

@djgutheinz I saw earlier the mention about the EP40 which should work or you would add it if not. So, I just picked one up since it is way cheaper than anything else like it (wifi or zwave). I already have a couple Kasa devices so why not. Can confirm it does seem to work perfectly fine. Has an odd bug where the model number gets a ( at the end, not sure what happened there. But otherwise have not noticed any issues so far.

Model number is an old error in me parsing devices. Can not delete due to compatibility issues.

Glad to know the EP40 works!!!!!

Dave

After updating my Hubitat and Kasa Device Drivers to 6.3.3, Hubitat can't connect to the devices.

One example of the error :
`#### State Variables

• pollInterval : 30 minutes

• commsErrorText : CLOUD Error = org.apache.http.client.ClientProtocolException

• errorCount : 88

• deviceIP: {REMOVED}

• feature: TIM

• driverVersion: 6.3.3

• plugNo:

• model: HS103

• type: Kasa Plug Switch

• deviceId: {REMOVED}

• plugId:
    `

I had a weird issue perhaps similar to this yesterday morning I think it was, a number of kasa plugs showing up with commError's. I went into the app in HE and updated the devices and most came good. One was a bit stubborn and continued to report a comm's issue, even though I could turn it on and off via HE. It eventually came good as well.

Mine are local, not cloud, in case that makes a difference. I'm using HS110's and the mini equivalents, can't remember if any of the mini's had an issue.

First try updating preferences from the device's page. These are GENERAL instructions when updating a driver. Then, if this does not work -

Go to the app and if you use cloud, manually update the login. Then run an Install devices (which will update the device internal data).

2 Likes

Awesome integration. Clearing out my kasa/google link and running through hubitat instead.

My HS103 are working as expected, but the logs are showing and error:

app:2302021-08-11 03:17:14.952 pm warnunknownError: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toBigDecimal() on null object
dev:15232021-08-11 03:17:12.095 pm info[Plug Switch / 6.3.3 / Evans Hub Lamp]| setSysInfo: switch: off
dev:15232021-08-11 03:17:07.572 pm info[Plug Switch / 6.3.3 / Evans Hub Lamp]| setSysInfo: switch: on

app 230 is the native Google Home integration. Is that because I've got the same device connected through two apps?

No, not necessarily. For some reason the Google Home integration has an internal error. There is no where in my code where I use the method toBigDecimal (in the app error).

Are you seeing any errors in the Kasa log pages?
In the HS103 event log (from the device edit page) are there any events with a NULL value being sent? (The events are how the Kasa Device may communicate with the Google Home integration.)

Dave

Kasa logs seem pretty clean.

"PowerPollInterval" is the only null I see.

Some errors in the device events:

All the errors are in Google Home

My HS103s are working mostly as expected, despite the errors I'm seeing. They seem to lose the connection sporadically, but will still work from the Kasa app.

I've managed to get rid of the BigDecimal error (at least for the time being) by taking some rarely used devices out of the Google Home integration. I'll need to see why that was happening, but seems that its a Google Home problem and not a Kasa issue.

The lost of connection may be solved by assigning STATIC IP addresses to your Kasa devices. When this occurs, you can also use the Hubitat Kasa Integration App and run the Add Kasa Device / Update... function. This updates the IP address within the driver to the current driver.

1 Like

I had reserved IPs for them assigned by the router before installing the app and devices.

They were awake this morning after 12 hours of not being called, so maybe the network just needed to get used to them. :wink: Dunno.

When I ran the update, I saw that things went smoothly in the logs. I was a little confused at first because I expected to see the app let me choose which plugs to update, the same way you can choose which ones to add or remove. I wasn't sure it was working until I checked the logs.

The other oddity (or maybe its expected behavior by everyone except me) was when I was removing the TP-Link Service from Google Home. Even though I had only added the switches to GH through the Hubitat service, all of my switches went offline, the same as when I deleted the switches in the Kasa mobile app. After everything was in place, I needed to re-connect them to the wifi.

Still need to reconnect one more.

All in all, though, this is a fantastic integration. Thanks for the great work. Hoping to be more helpful once I'm up and running.

I tried to manually update the login but it didn't work. So I deleted the devices (tried this with one first) and then added them back as local, not cloud. This seems to work!

Is there a benefit to having it connected to the cloud vs local?

No. The cloud is there in case TP-Link changes the device firmware to disable local; as they have done on the HS100. If this happens, you just log into the cloud and set the affected device to the CLOUD interface.

Dave

1 Like

@djgutheinz I spoke to soon.....but this is the only error in 24 hours.

dev:15282021-08-12 03:01:05.988 pm warn[Plug Switch / 6.3.3 / Coffee Pot]| setCommsError: Four consecutive errors. Setting commsError to true. ErrorData = null. Polled all IPs on segment 192.168.0.

app:16442021-08-12 03:01:01.026 pm info[KasaInt/6.3.3]: updateDeviceIps: updated IP for device 68FF7B5C387F to 192.168.0.68.

app:16442021-08-12 03:01:00.965 pm info[KasaInt/6.3.3]: updateDeviceIps: updated IP for device E4C32AC6520C to 192.168.0.66.

app:16442021-08-12 03:01:00.962 pm info[KasaInt/6.3.3]: updateDeviceIps: updated IP for device E4C32AC65970 to 192.168.0.65.

app:16442021-08-12 03:00:59.168 pm info[KasaInt/6.3.3]: fixData: Update LAN data

that said, the device responded when I turned it on and off through the Google Home app.

dev:15282021-08-12 03:06:57.713 pm info[Plug Switch / 6.3.3 / Coffee Pot]| setSysInfo: switch: off

dev:15282021-08-12 03:06:55.362 pm info[Plug Switch / 6.3.3 / Coffee Pot]| setSysInfo: switch: on

But the same switch threw the same error after I updated from the app:
dev:15282021-08-12 03:12:23.909 pm warn[Plug Switch / 6.3.3 / Coffee Pot]| setCommsError: Four consecutive errors. Setting commsError to true. ErrorData = null. Polled all IPs on segment 192.168.0.

What is the device model?

• Open a logging page.
  • In preferences,
    • verify that the "Kasa Cloud Binding" is deselected.
    • select "Enable description text logging.
  • Do a Save Preferences
  • Copy the top entry in the log, starting with bolded "System Data Summary" (I added this to support providing me information for troubleshooting).
  • Paste as TEXT and send to me via private message.

I just found some Kasa devices in a cupboard I bought a couple of years ago. I am wondering if this is the recommended driver for Kasa bulbs and plugs. Is it still possible to have local control of Kasa devices with this driver? I remember reading that the newer firmware broke the local integration so shall I refrain from updating my devices.