[DEPRECATED] Kasa Plug, Switch, and Bulb integration

Technically you can also execute custom commands through RM rules in HE, if that is what you want.... But as Dave warns, adjusting the polling interval will impact hub performance... So if you decide to automate this in any way.... proceed with caution....

On a random train of thought, I look at this in a similar way to automating (or not) the smart plug for my iron. I don't feel like I want to automate that to turn it on or off in case it is turned on and through some communications or other issue outside of the control in the driver, is not able to be turned off. Along similar lines... Including automations to mess with the polling interval (I would think) could be fraught with danger if not setup without enough safeguards to cater for different circumstances.... I'll admit I am being quite risk averse and overly dramatic with the possible situations, but I feel that is relevant if you want to have a home that is predictable, safe and enjoyable. Just my 2c....

2 Likes

I have achieved the results I wanted without increasing the polling. Warning, heeded :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Will the bulbs turn on with power outage and restored? Thank you

The bulbs will restore in accordance with the power defaults set in the Kasa Application Device Settings "on From Power Source".

Thx, if cloud control is off, will they still communicate with the bulb?

Yes. The Settings are internal to the bulb (independent of the cloud).

Thank you, and how are these bulb, general reliability? Do the respon fairly quick to picos? How about 4 in 1 room? Go they all turn off and on at the same time?

I have 6 with three for more than years. No failures. Command response to local commands is very fast. To cloud (typically) is also fast. Synchronization is based on your method of turning on at the same time, but, generally very good.

Great! Thank you. My method of control would be picos through Hubitat. Is that good for syc?

Someone said you can’t set them to off. Only really dim but on, that true?

No. They turn off just fine. The few I purchased several years ago still work as they did when new. I just removed them from HE when I had issues with my hub and never added them back. This is mostly due to the fact that I have all Zigbee bulbs and like things all behaving the same way. Dave's integration is excellent, and if you're adding a handful of TP-Link bulbs, you should be fine. I have over 70 ZigBee bulbs, mostly Hue and some Sylvania, and wouldn't recommend doing that to your WiFi router. Just remember to assign static IP addresses to each bulb when you add them, that way the app doesn't have to hunt for them every time the router loses power or needs rebooted.

It looks like TP=Link announced several new devices including an EP40 outside multi-plug. The EP40 seems very similar to the KP400 that I have used successfully with this great app. Does anyone have any comparisons or comments on these two devices? Does this app support the EP40?

The current Application is designed to recognize properly installed (via Kasa app) devices). Since it is new, not currently validated. You must try and if it fails, create some logs so I can fix. Should not have to do this; however, who knows what Kasa does to their code.

Dave

Is using the Kasa switches as triggers supported? I am trying to set some automations based on physical switch pushes on the Kasa dimmers. The automations do not trigger when pressing the physical button or using TP-Link's Kasa android app.

The automation does trigger when I operate the switch through the Hubitat interface.

Pretty sure the driver polls the plug periodically, rather than the plug sending details of changes...

These are not button interfaces - per se. However, at user request, i did create quick polling (user selectable down to 5 seconds). It works with the Kasa App or physical switch activation of the device. When they are used, the device turns on immediately. Hubitat polls the device every user-selected poll interval (5 seconds minimal) and if a change is detected, the attribute switch is changes - which will trigger actions in rule machine.

With 5 second polling, the average latency from physical switch activation to hubitat detecting is slightly more that 2.5 seconds. Add to that the processing of the rule - so expect a three or so second delay for follow-on actions (average). Not instantaneous - but all I could reasonably do.

1 Like

Thank you for the great explanation! I was able to use that polling option to get it done. Is there any downside to polling say 10-20 of these switches every minute 24hrs/day?

Also unexpected behavior: when selecting 5 seconds, it sets it to 1 minute for some reason. I am using most for implement auto-off in closets/bathrooms so 1 minute is fine for my use but did notice it doesn't set to 5 seconds

0ne minute polling should never cause a problem for only 20 devices given a average hub installation.

5 seconds going to one minute polling. This should only occur if you are using cloud control of the device (i.e., the Kasa Cloud integration.

Just fixed my issue with losing static IP addresses (Kasa devices added as "Smart" device in TP-Link Deco app will lose its static IP configuration, who knew?). D̶e̶c̶o̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶o̶w̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶s̶s̶i̶g̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶I̶P̶ ̶a̶d̶d̶r̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶ ̶d̶e̶v̶i̶c̶e̶,̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶l̶e̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶e̶r̶v̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶u̶r̶r̶e̶n̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶s̶s̶i̶g̶n̶e̶d̶.̶ Is there any way to update the IP of the device in Hubitat without having to delete it and re-discover it?

Edit: I was premature on my statement regarding the ability to choose a static IP for reservation. Turns out you need to enable reservation with the current IP address and hit OK, then go back into the device configuration a 2nd time before it will let you select a different IP address... The Deco app is a little too "simple" for my taste but I can't complain how rock solid the hardware performance is with 30+ devices and counting. I've had this Deco for 2 years and I just rebooted it for the first time simply to get the new Static IPs to take, that's not hyperbole.

No need to change the IP address in the Hubitat configuration. I'll leave this up here for anyone who runs into the same issue using TP-Link Kasa and TP-Link Deco in the same household...

I'm trying to add a KP200 outlet to my existing integration. In the app, add/update devices, both plugs in the outlet show up. Click them and hit next, and back to the app screen.

but I'm seeing this in the logs when that happens: Any ideas?