[RELEASE] Tile Builder - Build Beautiful Dashboards (Grid 2.0 Released)

When designing a table the onscreen table only updates whenever you do a refresh of the Table. It should update the dashboard when any monitored attribute changes, subject to your Publishing controls. The other Tile Builder child apps work this same way.

I think your variables must contain the word "variable" in order for them to show like that. Here are mine: Look specifically at myVariable in each.

Check and see if that is the case. If not let me know and I have another idea for you.

Not right now. It is my intention to add some date \ time formatting options in the near future as an available Cleanup.

My intention was that the dashboard tile (not the onscreen table) does not get updated even when the variable gets updated and it has new values. I can also see the new events in the variable device connector page.
For example:
Hub variables page:

Summary

and the dashboard tile:

Summary

My screen looks different and I think this is because I am using the device group option. Any way my variables do not include the word "variable" in their name and the device page for the variable connector looks like this:

Summary

Can you send me a screen capture that includes the template columns like this please.

FYI That Grid can read directly from the variables and they do not need a device connector for the purposes of Tile Builder.

I added some logic so that a null value on a non-populated attribute would default to 0.0 until it gets populated. It's in an update I just pushed out for Attribute Monitor and Activity Monitor.

Gary when I saw this I automatically thought this is a great way to group different Tile Builder tiles into a room specific Grid.

For example: status of multiple motion sensors, multiple temp/humidity sensors, multiple switches, multiple bulbs.

One could easily change and rearrange the Tile Builder tiles in the Grid without having to change each tile on the dashboard.

I was starting to think along similar lines but you have to be careful with any tiles that regenerate frequently. A motion sensor that fired 300 times a day could cause the "Summary" tile to also regenerate at least 300 times a day and together might use more CPU than you would like.

1 Like

FYI I found a typo on line 969 of Grid this AM that cause a crash. I've already released version 1.0.2 to address this. That is the only change in this version.

1 Like

Here is my table of tables for Batteries.

I have some devices where the battery goes from 100% to not reporting with no stops in between so monitoring Inactive battery devices helps me find those.

Hi @garyjmilne ,
Please see attached as per your request.

Summary

Thanks, I figured it out. The word "variable" is the name of the last event (what changed) which I was concatenating with the value. What I did was break out %lastEvent% to be the name of the last event and %lastEventValue% (new) to be the associated value.

Sorry it took me so long to figure it out. Had it been any other name than variable I might have recognized it earlier.

I'll send out an update no later than tomorrow, and possibly tonight.

1 Like

Hi @garyjmilne ,

Would naming the storage device "." (just a single dot) cause issues? It seemed to work fine when I renamed it, but sometime during the last several days two problems developed.

Problem 1 is where trying to edit the storage device yields a blank page, yet there is nothing related in the log (I did enable info, trace and debug logging in the parent app:

Maybe related, maybe not, problem 2 is that my multi-attribute monitor tiles appear in the app list, but not inside the Tile Builder parent app:

Finally, when I click on any Activity Monitor tiles, a multi-attribute setup screen comes up! Weird...
Still, noting interesting in the log:

Is there anything I can do before rebuilding everything?
Thanks!

Yes, the names of the storage devices are hard coded in there. The good news is the storage device only contains the published tables.
If you delete the storage device and then recreate it with the original name, reconnect it in the app you should be able to just republish each of your tiles without any redo.

I see the issue with this. I forgot to comment out a line with yesterday's update. I will push out an update tonight that will fix it and the MAM issue too.

Sorry about that.

1 Like

If you run the update it should take care of #2 and #3. For the renamed Storage Device see my earlier advice.

I pushed out an update tonight. If you change your Template Column 2 to say %lastEventValue% you will get what you want. The inline "Text Fields" help is updated but I have to add to the online doc.

1 Like

Thanks for the update! Activity vs Multi-Attribute tiles are back to normal.

Editing the storage device, however, is still an issue.
I need to edit it in order to delete it (unless there is another way to delete a device?)
I found that the page isn't really blank - it has a source, but the actual browser page is blank, and in the dev console there is the following message:

So I created storage device #2 and this time didn't touch it at all. Went to edit it and got the same result as above...

Also having a problem with the Multi Attribute Monitor.
I wanted to make another tile and instead I get this error...

Error 404

App type not found for namespace: garyjmilne and name: Tile Builder - Multi AM

If you are seeing this screen repeatedly, please visit support.hubitat.com.

Looking in apps code, it is there and my original tile is working.

If HPM shows an available update then do that. If not do a repair. That will take care of it.

You can force a device deletion using this technique:

The message "The new child element contains the parent" sounds like it has a circular reference.
A period (.) in some operating systems means the current working directory and (..) means the parent directory. So that might be confusing it.

I just created an empty Storage Device and it came up as expected. Sometimes CSS\HTML elements can be transient in memory so a reboot might clear it.

1 Like

Hi @garyjmilne ,
Thanks a lot. Much appriciated and I can confirm that this is now fixed and using the %lastEventValue% fixed this issue.

As for the other issue I am seeing, this is not yet working as expected. The dashboard table does not update when the variable value has changed. It keeps the old values till you go back to the child app page and click Publish and Subscribe.
I tries using the 'more options' to try and see the logs and see what is going on but I have to admit that this is beyond me. If you could instruct me which logging option to turn ON I could attach the relevant lof file.

1 Like