[RELEASE] Tasmota for HE - Auto-detecting Tasmota drivers + Tasmota firmware 7.x/8.x for HE (for use with Tuya, Sonoff and other ESP devices)

Hi @markus. I received my TTL dongle and am ready to attempt to flash. However, when following the wiki, I get a 500 error on your github page. Please see Introduction to Tasmota for Hubitat Elevation (T4HE) · markus-li/Hubitat Wiki · GitHub

For which URL? All is working for me.

It was for Installing Tasmota Devices into Hubitat Elevation · markus-li/Hubitat Wiki · GitHub but it's working now so I guess github had a temporary issue. All good now.

1 Like

FYI that I followed the instructions and was able to flash my Sonoff 4CH relay and got the drivers/apps loaded in HE and all is working great!

@markus, thank you for all the work you did on this. I can see it was a lot of effort and it is appreciated.

Since my test just worked, now my next step will be to drill holes in the side of the garage and mount the flood lights on the outside and romex them into this relay... First time for everything. Fun stuff :slight_smile:

1 Like

@markus how to fix the timeout issue

Yes, the device you linked to is the one I have. Feit Electric DIM/WIFI Dimmer Template for Tasmota

I reviewed the settings from that page and applied them to the device. My settings were definitely not correct when I compared them. It still didn't work, but then I did a hard power cycle by flipping the circuit breaker.

I had noticed in this thread that one user said they had to power cycle it, by which I interpreted it to mean to completely remove power from the switch. It started working after the power cycle.

Tested and it's working in Hubitat for on/off, but I don't have any dimming functionality. The dimming functionality does work if you go to the Tasmota device web page. Well, two steps forward, one step back I guess.

[EDIT]I got dimming working in HE! Changed the child device type to "Generic Component Dimmer" and now I can control the dimming on my dashboard object for the dimmer!

I flashed another device, a Merkury WiFi LED strip I got at Walmart. I have full color control in the Tasmota web interface, and it seems like also in Hubitat.

Used the template from here:

Parent device set as Generic RGB/RGBW Controller/Bulb/Dimmer
Child device set as Generic Component RGBW.

Success!

Ok, so the colors are just as off in Tasmota/Hubitat as they were with the Merkury/Geeni software. Not the fault of Tasmota or HE. This device, if you set it for 2700K, it looks like 5000K. I'm glad I got it working, but if you want an LED strip and don't already own one, I would suggest looking elsewhere if you care about color accuracy.

1 Like

Great to hear that you got it working! Bummer the colors are so off. I haven't played with any LED strips yet but I would like to get a couple to try and accent a couple things.

Are there any LED strips you have tried that you would recommend?

If you can wait for them to be delivered this strip and controller was great until my dog decided to chew the strip.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion @at9. Yes, I can definitely wait. 5050...ok. I don't know much about led strips yet. It's better to go with 24V, is that right? I thought with 24V then you don't need a repeater or booster to keep the leds bright towards the end of the line. Sound right?

I don't have enough information to really help, did you run Configure inside the Device Parent of each device? Is the IP correct, do commands from HE to the Tasmota devices work? Is the HE IP set in the Tasmota device? It should be if the Configure command was completed properly.

You could try to adjust it with the command RGBWWTable and White Belnd Mode. You might at least improve it a little bit.

When only doing 5meters it shouldn't matter. Voltage drop shouldn't be a problem over that distance. Beyond that it very well could be and 24V gives you more leeway.

Backing up what @markus said there was no issue with voltage drop over the 5 metres.
It really just comes down to what power supply (12v vs 24v) you want/can get.

1 Like

I will be ordering this for a project I am working on. Is it pretty straight forward to convert it to Tasmota?

It's really simple as the GPIO pins are easily accessible and no soldering required.

Do you happen to know if it can also be converted over the air? (Otherwise, I will have to learn something new... I have never done an update via GPIO...)

Oh, I almost forgot about the power supply.
How is THIS Power Supply?

It looks like I would have to get the 8A version because the 5A version only supplies 60W and the controller needs 96W... Is that right?

@markus I found the issue.

On the two non working devices, I forgot to delete their clones in pgux s integration. After I deleted them, they said available.

Now everything is working! :+1:

1 Like

Congratulations @Abhijeet_Ghosh :+1:

1 Like

I'm pretty sure they cannot be done over the air. I had sonoff code on mine and tried to OTA to tasmota minimal and it is now dead. I can probably GPIO reflash it back to life, I just never got around to it yet.

Well, good to know! I bought an extra one, so I may give it a try and if it dies, I’ll get what I need to flash it via the connectors.