[RELEASE] Tasmota for HE - Auto-detecting Tasmota drivers + Tasmota firmware 7.x/8.x for HE (for use with Tuya, Sonoff and other ESP devices)

Then this bootloader probably doesn't have that feature.

This is the driver from AC to DC, the chip must be on a different board.

I was afraid of that, it certainly just looked like a PSU to me. I have now confirmed that when I stick 16v on the red and black leads (which was the voltage that I was reading when 240v was on the mains side), the wifi starts up. This means that the brainbox is inside the body of the light. Definitely going to do a teardown video/post for this one! Next step, figure out how to open the case. I think that I will try to remove the plastic difuser from the front.

2 Likes

All fixed now:

Was looking for a configuration that was not there. Flashed it over serial and now all good.

2 Likes

Nice, at least it was all marked on the PCB, that is not always the case... Good job! :slight_smile:

Yes, and super easy to solder some resistor leg offcuts to the pads so that I could use the pin jaw probes from my logic analyser. I am really enjoying playing around with hardware again. Most of the Tuya type devices that I have converted have had some challenge or other.

The Tasmota for HE firmware is very nice though, has been super reliable, once I figured out the "auto-bricking" that happens when you flag the wrong button and it thinks that it is being reset :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Abhijeet_Ghosh for the updates to work with my Tasmota drivers you need to run my modified version of Tasmota, as stated in the installation instructions.

@markus it just says add emulation of hue Bridge if you want auto discovery. I don’t want this. Where is the bin file for the custom firmware? If it will work, then I will happily switch my dimmer to your app

It's all in the docs, but here it is:

Don't forget to run "reset 5" after switching firmware to mine. You can end up with very odd behaviour if you don't.

@markus what does reset 5 do? I don’t want to break anything. I have some led settings and power on settings, as well as I disabled MQTT. Will this all go away?

This will all go away. You will need to set up the device from scratch, which would just be a few commands anyway. MQTT is off by default in my version. My HE drivers control some other sensible defaults.

@markus last question, thanks for being so helpful

In my router, I have set the MAC address of the plug to be a certain ip. I have many webcore scripts that send http requests to the smart plug. Will this still work (the regular integration). Also, will the smartthings integration continue to work with your firmware? I am sure the iP will not change

I have a couple of Sonoff's that are running Erics code. I upgraded one with the Tasmota HE code, and after uploading the file the web page said 'upload success' and it advertised the tasmota wifi, etc... all working.
My second one will copy the file - it counts to 100% but then does nothing. I've tried about 8 times. Any suggestions?

Also another question... I have 3 Feit bulbs with 8.3.1 - not the HE version. They work fine with HE, would you suggest I reflash them to the HE version? Thanks

It will, you can also use the "Send Command" action in the Parent to send whatever you want to Tasmota.

If it is just about getting commands sent from Smartthings directly, then no problem. If it needs updates sent back for commands issued outside of ST it would have to be through MQTT or you would need custom rules.

You probably have to change to the minimal version of that firmware (6.7.1?). Once on the minimal you can go for the full version of the target firmware.

If you want the state to be always correct in HE I would change them to my version, if that doesn't matter to you, then no need. It can make certain commands behave oddly when HE doesn't know the right state, but in general it should be fine.

1 Like

Thanks, I just updated one of the Feit bulbs, and I see what you mean, it now instantly updates from when I web to it and change it as a test.

Awesome! Thanks so much for all you are doing!

@markus it still doesn’t work for me

What exactly doesn't work? What did you setup? Did you run "reset 5"?

@markus I ran reset 5, clicked disable MQTT, and changed the friendly name. I also set up the module configuration in the configure module section. I still can’t get it to report it’s values if changed manually.

Show me screenshots of Configuration and Configure Other, please.

Did you put in the IP address of your HE hub in the HE section of the config?

@markus

Is this what you wanted?