[RELEASE] Status Avatar

I knew I should have tackled the dot colours first....

For those who share similar enthusiasm to those who have looked at this already, download a copy of this driver from HPM / Git and enjoy the capabilities it offers. All feedback is welcome.

For those who want to play with having a pop-up when clicking on the avatar image, similar to the advanced iFrame driver, you can play with the avatar driver code below, with the emphasis on playing with the code. This part is frustratingly close to working how I want, with sizing of the avatar image and sizing of the popup causing the most frustrations.... Enough about my weekend... :slight_smile:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sburke781/hubitat/avatar_popup/StatusAvatar/StatusAvatar_Driver.groovy

I'm thinking I might leave this to one side and tackle setting dot colours either through the week or next weekend (famous last words...). I may include a reduced version of this where clicking on the avatar loads the URL in a new tab rather than an overlayed iFrame.

Simon

1 Like

I'm back to playing around with this and have a question. Can you explain the iFrame Counter state variable?

This is what I envision:

Wife and I are away at work. We could use this to send the kids pictures, messages etc. It would be really cool for them to be able to a unique notification on the echos that they have a message from mom or dad. They tap their picture and it loads the message.

Of course this would require some sort of hosted site for this to go to, loading the address of that location to a variable string, then a trigger of change to that variable to run a rule to turn the switch on......etc

Lots of stuff to work out but I feel like this is possible with this app as the base.

The iFrame counter is just there to make sure the iFrame is updated on screen since the source changes, but only by something irrelevant. I could dig out the post where I saw it as a tip.

I expect what you may be asking about are the numbers in each dot? Those are in the status num attributes / variables.

I haven't touched it for a couple of weeks now, I got frustrated with sizing of the images, positioning of the dots and making it react to resizing of the tile. I may just need to accept there are some limitations and move on... But I will need to clean up a few quirks before saying it is in a stable state.

Always open to ideas on how it could be expanded, it can be used for any number of scenarios I expect. I have been messing around (in a very small way) with notifications and setting up Tasker to intercepts and provide buttons to respond. I do have visions of maybe storing them in some way so that I can record that I have acknowledged a notification. What you are describing may be able to merge into something that we could both use.... Who knows...

All fun ideas to contemplate...

1 Like

So I have a basic sense of what I can do. I hope it's ok if I share it.

For messages, I can make unique mobile dashboards for my wife and myself. In them, there can be field to change a string variable unique to each of our dashboards.

There can then be a button for each child. Whichever one is pressed the variable gets set to the kids unique variable string. That would allow a rule to announce "Adalynne has a message from Mom" for example and turn on here switch to indicate message. Clicking the image would then open an overlay (also reset the switch) displaying the variable string.

2 Likes

Something I noticed. I set up a second dashboard and put the URL in the preferences for when the image is clicked. When I did that and click the image it's still just went to the default HTML file. But when I put that URL in for number one then when I click the image itself it loaded that correct URL.

That is a nice idea for the personalised messages. Took me a couple of times to digest it, but I get what you mean now, and it sounds good. Always happy for people to share their ideas.

I'll need to look at the issue you raised about the URLs, thanks for letting me know.

Simon

1 Like

I have updated the driver slightly to ensure the dots appear on top of the avatar image. I thought I had replicated your issue @markbellkosel84, but then rolled back my changes and did not see the same behaviour..... Try the new version and let me know if you still see the same issue.

While I was looking at the driver I did notice that if I want to open a URL from the top right dot (dot 1), but am only using the on/off switch, the URL for dot 1 will not open, as you need some text for the link to work. It should be relatively easy to get some text of the same colour as the dot, which I'll look at next time I am updating the driver code.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.