[RELEASE] Smarter Humidity Fan

Heya Tomas. Have a look at the code. I think you’ll see we account for that possibility because of the need to surpass the minimum at a given velocity. I’ve never once had a flapping condition occur since using the app.

Hi Ernie,

Thanks very much for this app - this looks like a winning solution for me, so I'm really grateful!

I have a threshold/timer question/clarification please, and forgive me if I'm overthinking it or not reading something obvious right in front of me.

Let's say my threshold is 65 - 75, and my auto-off is 20 minutes...

If my fan kicks on and runs for 20 minutes but the humidity is still 80, that will reset my 20 minute timer and the fan keeps running - very cool.

But what if it's 70% after 20 minutes -- would that kick the fan off even though it's still in my range (but below my top end)? Or does my 20-min clock reset both above the range and anywhere within the range?

I think this was perhaps answered early in the thread, but I'm still not totally clear... If I manually turn my fan switch on, does that action trigger my 20-minute auto-off timer even if the humidity stays below the range that entire time (say ~55% using my example #s)? The good ol' stinky-bathroom scenario, in other words :slight_smile:

Thanks again!!

Correct, the only thing that will automatically extend auto-off is if your humidity is above the top part of your range. At that point it’s deemed just too high to accept. I’d suggest setting a generous auto-off time to allow to get a below or near your low end, if you set the high that high.

Thanks - that info clears up a lot for me (pun intended)!

Can you please answer my other question -- I should've made it more obvious as a separate question in my post...

If I manually turn my fan switch on, does that manual action trigger my 20-minute auto-off timer even if the humidity stays totally below my range that entire time (say ~55% using my example #s)? The good ol' stinky-bathroom scenario, in other words.

I'll pick better threshold & timer #s to use for real, but I stayed with my earlier example #s here for consistency's sake.

Thanks again!!

Aaaaand disregard my last post - I forgot that was a totally simple scenario to test myself! :slight_smile:

The stinky-bathroom scenario works great - even when humidity is well below the threshold range, a manual fan activation does indeed automatically turn off at the end of your timer range (20' in my example).

So much winning here - this app is really awesome - thanks so much!!

1 Like

Any interest in adding a humidity sensor that can be used in determining the baseline humidity range? I live in the Midwest and the baseline humidity in my house swings 10-20% between winter and summer months.

In my use case I would like to use my house thermostat as the baseline humidity level and then configure the minimum and maximum values based on the current humidity level of the thermostat.

Sorry for the delay!

I'm afraid I don't have interest in adding the feature. I expect that the desired behavior can likely be obtained by simply tweaking the sensitivity to account for when humidity rises rapidly during a shower. It's not really meant for more generalized humidity control.

A custom app specifically for your situation would likely serve better in this case.

Apologies to Ernie in advance, but @mjarends there are different community apps that have this feature. It is nice to have, like you say in January it might be 20%RH, and in June it can be 80%RH.

No apologies necessary at all! I hope everyone can find an app that works for their needs. I just happen to have built this one for mine. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

@erniemiller, great app -- thank you for creating it!

I have a couple of questions.

Background: I want to prevent the fan from automatically going on while we are sleeping, but still have it go off automatically after the "auto off" time if someone turns it on manually. I think I can do this using the "Disable Smart Mode with Switch" option tied to a virtual switch that is toggled by a couple of rules in Rule Machine.

Questions:

• Will the auto-off timer still trigger when "Disable Smart mode with switch" is turned on?
  • Is this the right way to achieve my desired outcome, or is there a better approach?

Thanks!

Marc

It will indeed! Any time the switch is turned on, it sets a callback for the configured timeout to turn it off. This happens whether due to auto-on or manual on.

This will certainly work, though you may also wish to configure to disable in a specific mode, vs having to mess with a switch. For similar situations in my own home, I use virtual switches to signal when a guest is present and is sleeping separately from the overall home mode, which controls the master and guest areas separately from one another.

For example: When I tell Alexa "good night" it triggers night mode in Hubitat and anything I'd like to disable (for me, my motion lighting) is configured to honor that mode. However, when I have a virtual "guest present" switched to on, then the "guest sleeping" switch is consulted for behavior in that area of the house. I give the guest separate instructions for the echo show in the guest room to control that switch.

This is because my daughter is typically the guest, and she keeps very different hours than my wife and I. :joy:

2 Likes

Good point -- I will be making that change.

Thank you for the detailed response to my questions and the great app -- very much appreciated!

Marc

1 Like

This works great. Is it possible to make an on or off option for the "Disable smart mode with switch"? If not I can continue to use a virtual switch that turns off when my shower light comes on.

Joe, sorry, I’m confused. What’s the request, exactly? If you just don’t want to have a switch disable smart mode, don’t set a switch for that option.

Sorry to confuse. These pictures may explain a little better. Example of an on/off option from a different app. Right now the only option for disabling smart mode is to turn the selected switch on, I was wanting to disable by turning the selected switch off. Thanks.

Hi.
Please add button activation option. Button, not switch.

I have a dumb question, but I cannot figure it out. How do I add a second instance? I have 3 bathrooms that I want to control the fans in. Thanks!

You should just be able to add another app, same way you did the first one. I never set it up to do the parent/child thing.

Feature request -
Hi @erniemiller - Been enjoying the fruit of your work for months now - I've let a few others know about how well it solves the need. Thank you!

Recently I ran into a problem that I think is worthy of your attention. The Device Name is hard coded (AFAICT) as 'Virtual Switch'. This causes an external report to be too vague. Can you mod the application to allow user ability to change name like other devices? I'd like have the flexibility to use the Label but at this moment, I can't so need the Device Name identifiable.

Maybe it's on line 270 - and it could be changed to:
Smarter Humidity Fan Virtual Switch - or some such?

1 Like

Heya -- appreciate the feature request, but the reason it has that name on that line is that I use the built-in Hubitat "Virtual Switch" vs a custom-built one, just for simplicity's sake. I don't get to name it, but just call it by the name Hubitat gave it.