[EOL] SimpliSafe Alarm Integration

I have not found anything yet.

I was looking for a python script (or something) I could run locally on a home Linux server that I could trigger via makerapi, but have not had any luck.

I understand SimpliSafe is fantastic at actual security, but in todays connected world it needs integration. Even if it was an extra $5/mo for api access. A battle that I don’t intend to fight.

Next time I’ll go with a more open roll your own security system. I don’t have serious security concerns where I am and don’t need Fort Knox.

@Bago can you share your scripts? I’d like to use my home Synology NAS winch is running python. Is a browser the absolutely the only method to authenticate? I am ssh’ed into my server and therefore can’t launch browser windows on my Mac from the terminal. Perhaps a method to send an email for auth rather than a browser tab?

Thx!!

I wonder if we could use Home Assistant or HomeBridge (which afaik have working integrations) and then use the MakerAPI or Node-RED as the bridge?

I already have the homebridge/homekit integration

I could add a virtual switch that homekit flips when it updates .. I dont know how to get homekit out of the equation, unless there is some node-red/homebridge thing Im not aware of @cjkeenan

found this homebridge to nodered module https://github.com/NorthernMan54/node-red-contrib-homebridge-automation/issues

looks a little unsupported, but would do what is needed

Yeah I just spun up the official home assistant docker container on my rpi and then added SS through that. Then I got this working inside NR talking to HA

For the time being this is good enough and it seems to be relatively responsive and we will see how it ages.

More Info

Home Assistant Setup
Raspberry Pi - Home Assistant

Simplisafe Setup
Just search for simplisafe in integrations

NR - HA Setup
Getting Started | node-red-contrib-home-assistant-websocket

This is what I ended up doing as well. The Home Assistant integration is great and uses websockets to update much faster than polling. I created some virtual switches to pass them back to HE for status indicators.

Use this to go from Home Assistant to Hubitat: [RELEASE] Home Assistant Device Bridge (HADB)

And this to go from Hubitat to Home Assistant: GitHub - jason0x43/hacs-hubitat: A Hubitat integration for Home Assistant

2 Likes

EDIT: FYI, Needed to enable 2-factor authentication. Working now. Thx!

Awesome. I have Home Assistant running on my NAS (implemented via Docker). I am able to get SimpliSafe to report its armed status (home, away, disarmed). However, for the dickens of me I can not figure out how to actually arm SimpliSafe in Home Assistant. I click "arm home", "arm away", etc, but no call is make to simplisafe and I cannot figure out to see logs, etc to see if those buttons are doing anything.

Any guidance appreciated!!!!

So far so good. As mentioned, I have Home Assistant running on my NAS (implemented via Docker). I am able to get SimpliSafe to arm, disarm, and report status back to HE. I am using some virtual switches in HE and "syncing them" with Home Assistant to kick off Arm/DIsarm services. I am only using [this](GitHub - jason0x43/hacs-hubitat: A Hubitat integration for Home Assistant 2) for the bridge.

I wonder, how long will the "new" SimpliSafe auth token/code be valid for? I assume every so often I will need to update the Home Assistant config with a new code..... :thinking:

My experience since switching in December has been every 30 days.

Cool, thx @gd_brock . I am trying to investigate a Home Assistant automation to trigger when the authentication fails, so that I at least get notified so I can update the token.

I wonder if interrogating the "state" of the alarm_panel, and if it does not equal "disarmed/home/away" then create a notification to manually update the token. I just do not know what happens to the state value when the authentication fails....

Does it stay at the last value, or will it change to "null" or empty or something....

I love annoying my wife with home automation - when it works she doesn't complain, and gets used to it. When it breaks, i hear about it pretty loudly!!

It's unfortunate that SimpliSafe changed their API and authenticating. As I didn't want to go down the HA or node red approach, I came up with my own approach. Grant it, this is all on batteries - but this has been working well for me as all I wanted was to schedule the damn alarm so my wife can't forget to set it when she comes to bed after taking the dog out. Ugh! That's another story...

• Purchased a SimpliSafe key fob @ Best Buy
  • Purchased two SwitchBots and Mini Hub @ Amazon
  • A small amount of woodworking with my son. He loves this stuff! :wink:

IMG_2103

I then integrated the API from SwitchBot into Hubitat using the "SwitchBotAPI Driver for SwithBot Bot" that @Toffehoff shared (Thank you for that). From there, I simply set up my rules.

This has been working very well so far. Really not the way I wanted to go, but this is different approach to further have the same functionality that I was using before.

Time will tell on the batteries though!

Cheers!

3 Likes

I didn't take notice when it last happened but I intend to next time to see how to trigger off the error sending out a notification.

Cool. Likewise. I will report back to here when I have a solution.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Love it!!!!

And now we're paying $3 more per month... Really need expanded integration ASAP

My solution (perhaps permanent) has been:

I set up a boolean hub variable "SimplisafeArmed"
I set up Tasker on my android phone to monitor notifications from the SimpliSafe App. (Works even if phone is in "do not disturb" mode.)

When Tasker catches a simplisafe app notification containing "System Armed" it calls a cloud endpoint. If it gets a "System Disarmed" notification it calls a second cloud endpoint.

The cloud endpoints trigger setting the hub variable accordingly.

I have some Hubitat apps that monitor the variable for changes to do stuff like send pushover reminders to set the alarm if not set, change the color of a lightstrip so that everyone knows the armed/disarmed status etc...

You could really avoid using the hub variable, but I tend to like to add that layer for future simplicity when adding related but not directly connected functionality.

Could also easily monitor for other messages for simplisafe errors, triggers, updates, etc and do similar messaging / color light changes for those things. (Blinking red Hue lights if alarm was triggered?)

Pros:
Super easy setup, and simple apps (Tasker is a bit of a learning curve, but this is one of the most simple sets of tasks.)
Easy to change if SimpliSafe changes their message structure.
Pretty dang fast response time.

Cons:
Phone has to be on all the time. (Do people turn theirs off??)
May not work properly if you use the phone app to turn on/off the alarm - may not get app notifications when IN the app - I hardly ever use the app to arm/disarm -- will investigate further. EDITED to add: Does NOT work when USING the SimpliSafe App to arm/disarm, as there is no notification message created when directly using the SimpliSafe app. I've since added an "Armed" and "Disarmed" Tasker app Icon so that I can manually flip the Hub Variable if necessary. Not a huge deal to me, as I probably only use the app to arm things once a month or so...

Pro/Con?: Can't arm/disarm the alarm using this method. I personally prefer this. (Now that I think about it, though, I wonder if you can use Tasker to manipulate the SimpliSafe app...)
Have to have SimpliSafe App on your phone. (Not really a Con for me...)

Unknown:
iOS - no idea what works like Tasker on iOS. Maybe something?

Been using the scheme for about a week now, and it seems mostly flawless. Only operational error occurred when I accidentally deleted the relevant scenes in Hubitat (Changed from Sengled to Hue lightstrips, and deleted the wrong scenes -- need better naming convention QC.)

So that syncs SS status into Hubitat, do you have a system for Hubitat to control SS?

No, I don't have a method to control SS - I wasn't really searching for a method, though as I actually prefer to keep SS isolated from outside of their direct control.

I suspect that it would probably be possible to "reverse" the process using Hubitat messaging and Tasker though:

Things I know would work:
1 - Send a message from Hubitat to the Hubitat app or SMS on your phone.
2 - Intercept the message with Tasker on the phone to trigger Tasker routines.

Things I don't know would work:
3 - Use Tasker to control the SimpliSafe app to arm or potentially disarm the alarm system.

• Tasker lets you do all kinds of crazy stuff with your phone, but I'm not sure if that kind of control is directly allowed -- there ARE ways with Tasker to emulate things like user screen input (tapping a location on the screen) So if I were going to build an interface, that would be my first approach -- make Tasker open the Simplisafe App and tap the Arm button. No idea if that works when the phone is locked/etc, but that's where I'd look. (And if SimpliSafe changes the app, you'd have to potentially need to update the Tasker routines.)

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.