[DEPRECATED] Ring Range Extender/Contact Sensor/Motion Sensor/Smoke and CO Listener

ok will do.. i am hesitant as it now is an empty house.

I think it's very low risk, but I certainly understand your hesitation.

same firemware.. was wondering when i changed drivers what would happend to child power out switch but it is still there.. Weired like you say that it works there. i tested multiple times and it immediately senses reconnection on the exact same device handler as here since i copied the driver code..
I tried two differnt repeaters here and neither were showing reconnection messages.. whatever.. i will be getting accurate power out through my ups monitoring once i get that configured anyway..

as a side note i have a stupid wd500z dimmer switch that is not showing status updates.. now i have to pull it out and put a zwave plus in.. but it has the wires permanetly connected to the switch so now have to goto home depot and pick up some green white and black 12 gauge solid copper core wire..

How is the best way to include a generation 2 on a C7? S2 or force classic inclusion like suggested in another thread? Which driver and do you need it installed before you include? Thanks,

S2. Bryan Copeland (@bcopeland), who wrote the Built-In driver based on the community one he did before he joined Hubitat staff, reported that the Ring Extender 2 (I’ve got 4 on my C-7) would only report power fail status if it was paired S2, so that’s what I did, and it works fine.

I use the built-in Hubitat driver (Ring Alarm Range Extender) and the following two rules (our freezer in the garage is on a GFCI circuit that occasionally trips when a patio outlet on the same circuit gets rain):

Note that, if the Ring returns to mains power before the Hubitat boots, Hubitat will miss the power return event, thus the reason for the first rule.

1 Like

Good point.. I probably need to add an initialize that polls for this..

1 Like

Thanks for the very detailed answer and even including the rules you use! I have a range extender on the way and will use this info to set it up.

1 Like

They are tricky to pair. Read Bryan Copeland’s posts in this thread. It will take you a few tries. You must start from factory default reset state. Follow instructions on page 4 of product manual posted on Zwave alliance site:

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/ProductManual/File?folder=&filename=product_documents/3861/Z-WaveUserManual_Range_Extender_700.pdf

There are really no instructions in the box for use on non-Ring systems.

My experience with the Range Extender gen2 has been kind of the opposite. I've had no issues whatsoever pairing these. I scan the QR code using Z-Wave Options -> SmartSart in the iPhone app, and then plug the extender into mains. No other action necessary. Wait a minute or two and then look in Z-Wave details for the device. I've done a lot of them this way.

Btw, the Range Extender gen2 appears to do a full factory reset every time it is excluded. No special precautions needed. Unlike the Aeotec. :unamused:

1 Like

Ok, then that’s a difference from how I did pairing. I’ve never used SmartStart, always did it with Classic Inclusion on all devices. Perhaps SmartStart is the way to go now.

I have 6 of them on my C-7 and I paired 2 via smartstart and 4 'regular' S2 pairing... They all paired for me. And obviously no difference in operation post pairing between the two methods.

So beats me. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Can the LED control be added to the drivers?

While Ring documents that there is a parameter that can control the LED, I have not seen any documentation of values and meaning of the parameter...

Actually, it does seem documented. The manual says that the parameter has a min value of 0, a max value of 1, and a default of 1. Since the LED is enabled by default, I would expect that setting the parameter to 0 would disable the LED.

Seems like Mike Maxwell’s basic Z-Wave Tool driver could do the job to change that byte.

Couple of problems with this... the document says it is of type enum. I suppose that an enum could simply be true/false, but this would normally be referred to as a boolean. Also, once paired the LED is off by default rather than on. So something in the documentation is missing or incorrect.

One could start experimenting by setting various values and seeing what happens, but I'm not particularly excited about doing that. The parameter could do something else entirely. Also, if it has values like "flash on dropped frame" it's going to be pretty hard to detect.

Will RANGE EXTENDER diver work for hubitat C-5?

1st gen yes.. 2nd gen will repeat, but won’t provide power fail notifications without S2

2 Likes

Thanks so much.

1 Like

Anytime

This driver is now included and maintained as a built-in driver. You may continue to use this code, but for better experience, please use the built-in version.