[RELEASE] Hubitat Rental Automator (for AirBNB)

This Hubitat app provides a direct integration with AirBNB and control over changing modes and programming door locks without the use of any other services, such as the Maker API and/or other applications.

I wrote this app for a non-profit organization which I serve on the Board of Directors as the Vice President. We operate a 49 acre property in Ohio, called the Minton Lodge, that we offer to families who have gone through cancer or military journeys for completely free as a therapeutic and relaxation retreat. I originally outfitted the Minton Lodge with SmartThings because the mobile app interface was easier for my fellow Board members and volunteers to learn, and we used the famous Rental Lock Automator from RBoy. But, since Jan 2022 when SmartThings stopped supporting the Groovy-based apps platform and RBoy didn't provide any path forward, we started inputting door lock codes manually and carefully arming/disarming the lodge.

This app only works with the AirBNB calendar at the present time. I am committed to continuing to update this app with new functionality and review all pull requests submitted.

11 Likes

Just looked up the Lodge... I gotta say thank you for supporting us veterans as well !!

4 Likes

@daniel.t.healy There is a google calendar Hubitat integration (available in HPM) that could potentially work with this. I don't know if that helps you on your journey to make this a bigger app... :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! I wasn't aware of that. What do you think that'll help with? At present, I'm parsing the iCal from AirBNB to obtain the AirBNB specific data, just as RBoy and some others have done. That process would be repeated for other services, like HomeAway. The hard part is over now, which is the parsing commands.

Was thinking you could parse icalendar for the same thing for home use. Lets say, cleaner is comes on weds, fri, sat, set codes. Hmm... After several weeks I've decided to cancel cleaner. Delete repeat calendar entries (which deletes codes). Just an idea.

That's a great idea. I'll add that as an issue for improvement so I don't forget. If you have any more, feel free to also create an issue in GitHub so I can track these.

1 Like

Hows it looking for VRBO?

I haven’t put any thought into VRBO yet. I don’t use VRBO and would prefer to improve the reliability and functionality of the app first before expanding it past AirBNB. I’m just one man :slight_smile: happy to work on it with some more people if they want to contribute.

1 Like

So this scans the airbnb calendar and then you use that to program the lock but how are codes generated? are those embedded in the airbnb calendar? asking because I am interested in using this for VRBO and I don't see how I get the codes to the renter.

The last four digits of the guest's registered phone number is in the calendar appointment for their stay. What I do is download the calendar file and then scan each appointment for a start date which is the current date. Then, if there's a match, I get the four digits of their phone and program it into the door lock. I'd like to enhance this Rental Automator app to work with VRBO's calendar in addition to AirBNB, but I don't have a VRBO account for our rental. If you have a VRBO rental with active bookings, we could work together and I could use your calendar to enhance this Rental Automator app.

I have an active account. Would love to see this work.

Created an issue on Github, happy to connect on there...

@daniel.t.healy Unfortunately, I cannot get past the configuration page. Get these errors in my log:

2024-02-05 04:09:34.281 PM[trace] installed()

2024-02-05 04:06:33.920 PM[error] The iCalendar data could not be parsed. java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: params cannot be null

2024-02-05 04:06:33.909 PM[debug] Getting URL null

2024-02-05 04:06:33.905 PM[info] Testing the iCalendar data

2024-02-05 04:01:26.576 PM[error] java.lang.NullPointerException: null on line 140 (method appButtonHandler)

2024-02-05 04:10:05.622 PM[error] The iCalendar data could not be parsed. java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: params cannot be null

2024-02-05 04:10:05.618 PM[info] Testing the iCalendar data

2024-02-05 04:09:52.927 PM[error] java.lang.NullPointerException: null on line 140 (method appButtonHandler)

2024-02-05 04:09:51.722 PM[error] java.lang.NullPointerException: null on line 140 (method appButtonHandler)

2024-02-05 04:09:49.822 PM[error] java.lang.NullPointerException: null on line 140 (method appButtonHandler)

2024-02-05 04:28:38.877 PM[trace] installed()

2024-02-05 04:28:35.722 PM[error]groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: user_app_thedanhealy_rental_automator_Rental_Automator_152.testDoorLockProgramming() is applicable for argument types: () values: [] on line 319 (method appButtonHandler)

2024-02-05 04:27:50.284 PM[error] The iCalendar data could not be parsed. java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: params cannot be null

2024-02-05 04:27:50.276 PM[info] Testing the iCalendar data

Running the latest Hubitat C-7 firmware 2.3.7.146.

Any ideas?

Hi @raider123, welcome to the HE community! I'm happy to help o f course. Can you create an issue in my GitHub repo? I don't want to fill this thread with troubleshooting details. We'll get it fixed together. Issues · TheDanHealy/hubitat-rental-automator · GitHub

1 Like

Thanks. Will do.

New release of Rental Automator v1.0.5 to fix the above error.