[Release] Reliable Locks

Hi @TechMedX, yes it will re-send lock/unlock commands several times. It doesn't keep sending it long-term, but it will do a couple retries.

I tired the app a few weeks and it didn't help lock the door. I could see refresh request in the log, but never saw it resend the commands. Is that something that needs to be set? Could there be an option to adjust when to resend commands, and when/if it stops trying?

Sorry to be a bother. Just trying to find someway to use these locks in HE without going back to ST hub.

Oh, you are right. That is a feature I put in my other lock app: Lockdown. I could add it to this one.

2 Likes

Downloading!!! :bowing_man: God I hope this fixes my locks! If it does tell me where to donate!!!

What would be the difference between Lockdown and Reliable Locks be if you add this feature? Why choose one over the other?

Seems like Lockdown is more to stagger the events using a virtual switch. I guess that is nice, and I could see myself using it, but in my case I would also need "Un-lockdown". For now all I really need is....

Truly "Reliable Locks" - (I never thought there would be anything I missed about ST. This is it!)

@jwetzel1492 I would be endlessly grateful if you could add this feature to resend lock AND unlock commands every 10 seconds until it locked/unlocked! If you do please let me know when to update and I will happily be a test dummy!

2 Likes

Any thoughts on when you might have a chance to add it? I am hoping to not have to put these locks back on ST, but planning a trip and need them to be reliable while we are gone.

Thanks for the consideration and your time.

1 Like

Good news! I've posted an update to GitHub. You only need to update the ReliableLocksInstance.groovy file for the child app.

There's an option: "Retry lock/unlock commands if the lock doesn't respond the first time?" I found that I had put comments in to explain what this SHOULD do, but I hadn't actually implemented it before I got distracted by something else. It is implemented now.

It will retry up to 3 times. (Though you can easily change that in the code. Look for the number 3 on line 180.)

(Sidenote: I would not rely purely on smart locks for security in a house. What I mean is that if I were leaving on a trip, I would not drive away with the house unlocked and then lock it on my phone. I would make sure things were locked before I left. However, I'm guessing maybe you're using it to let people in and out of your house while you're gone?)

3 Likes

Yes, but moreover, people have access. People are saposta lock doors. People are people :man_shrugging: Thank for very much!

I know, right? If I didn't have these got-dang people in my house, my automations would be so much easier! :slight_smile:

1 Like

A big thank you from me as well for this update.

2 Likes

I just wanted you to let you know this has made ALL the difference with my locks. I have not had to request a second "Lock/Unlock" since installing the update. :+1:

I will be recommending this to anyone I see that has any :lock: issues

It makes me wonder if other hubs implement a similar process by default which makes them better than HE with locks. Either way mine are truly Reliable Locks now thanks to your update. :hugs:

3 Likes

I don’t know about all hubs, but ST definitely does not do this. I had to come up with a similar solution for ST before I migrated to Hubitat.

3 Likes

The update has made a big improvement for my locks as well. This is an excellent app that I will definitely recommend.

1 Like

The app does not seem to be refreshing. It says it is going too, but does not.

settings

I did edit the retry count as you can see, but that should not make it stop, right? I will change it back to 3 and see if it helps.

EDIT: It does retry on the 30 minute mark, just not on "Command not followed"

Two questions:

• Is this entire log sequence from what you're trying to do, or just the end?
  • What command were you trying to send to the lock?

below are all today's logs for that lock (some overlap).

I had not given it a command just noticed it was "unlocked" but my Dash said "locked" so I looked (now that I think about it I did a manual "refresh") . It seems like "refresh" or 30 minute refresh does not "retry", but when a command is sent it does.

That might be by design, and my lack of understand the app.

My locks are working much better, but sometimes they stop reporting. No clue why. A reboot always fixes it.

Is there a way to base a rule, to reboot the hub, on when reliable locks does not get a response from the lock after x amount of minutes, or retries? Sorry I don't know how that works if this is a dumb question my apologizes.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Reliable Locks can now be installed from Hubitat Package Manager. This is the best way to make sure you keep up-to-date with bug fixes and new features.

3 Likes

I was hoping to create a option where instead of a virtual lock device, its a virtual switch? Lock and virtual locks are supported by google home,