[Release] Philips Wiz Color Light Driver

It looks like you've got it set up correctly. If you've got a color Wiz bulb, it is capable of displaying many colors. You can choose a color by clicking on the "Color Map" field below the "Set Color" button on the bulb's "Devices" page, or through a Dashboard.

** slightly technical explanation follows **
tl;dr: Use the Hubitat's interface for automation and simple things like on/off and dimming. Use the native app when you need a friendlier interface. (IMO, this applies to all colored bulbs.)

Here's what's up with the interface: A Hubitat driver does not replicate a device's native functionality -- it maps it to a common model for that device type to make automation easier. So no matter what brand of bulb you use, you'll see roughly the same set of controls for it in the Hubitat, plus or minus a few features.

The "Devices" pages are designed to provide access to all driver features and information. They're not particularly user-friendly. For one thing, all the controls are automatically arranged in super helpful alphabetical order. It's... kinda hard on any sense of logical grouping. For day to day use, it's better to create a Hubitat Dashboard exposing the device controls you use the most.

Anyway, back in "Devices", for all color bulbs, there should be a "Set Color" button somewhere on the page. If you click on the "Color Map" field below the button, you'll get Hubitat's color picker interface -- you can choose a color by clicking on it.

The effects settings are the same -- in the Hubitat's interface, effects can be selected by effect number, or by the previous/next buttons. There's an "Effect Number" button somewhere on the page that you can just type the number into to directly set an effect. Hubitat doesn't, to my knowledge, support a general "set effect by name" method right now, but I will look into adding something like that to the next driver version.

Thanks for the detailed response. I did find the color map.

I’ve connected all my Wiz bulbs now, and now going back through to replicate my scenes I had running from ST via Alexa.

I’ve ran into some color issues.

I have a Pico Remote and I used the Button Controller App to use a Held action to turn on a Wiz Color bulb. I set it to be warm white and soft white. However it just sets it to a deep sky blue color.

Also I set up a scene, and captured it, however when I wild run the scene the bulb color, hue, saturation, or level is off. I am using one of the Wiz effects, “Relax”, but Hubitat registers it as 2700k
I tried using the hue & saturation it showed (53.02 x 90.98) but does accept decimal, so 53x90 just gets me the deep blue sky

Also there’s no “Effect” selection in the Scene, so for instances we wouldn’t be able to create a “Party” effect / scene and successfully have Hubitat trigger it.

Thank you for the detailed description! I think we're very much in agreement that the Wiz bulb effects are the best looking colors the bulbs produce, and that it would be nice to have them in scenes. Even though the Scenes app doesn't support effects, I think we can manage to make it work with a little minor trickery.

If you're willing to help me test this, I've put the fix in the experimental driver branch in the repository below. Just install the code in HubitatWizColorDriverX.groovy over the old Wiz Color bulb driver and press "Save".

Here's what's going on behind the curtain:
Right now, the Scenes app (and other Hub apps) can't pick up a valid CT, HSV or RGB value from a Hue bulb running an effect because the effects are essentially separate animations in the bulb's firmware. If you query a bulb while it's running the effect, you just get the effect number -- you can't get a valid color or color temperature. So Scenes does something strange and random instead.

I fixed this by detecting when the bulb is running an effect, and using an out-of-range color temp value as a way to store the effect number and to fool Scenes into thinking it's getting a valid color. When a Scene is activated, it tries to set CT to this value, which is detected by the driver, and converted into the proper scene number.

So you can now use effects in your scenes. and it should work as you'd expect -- set up your bulbs as you want them, capture the scene, and you can activate it on demand.

If it works for you, let me know, and I'll roll it into the main branch of the driver. (And if there's already a standard way to deal with lighting effects in Scenes and I somehow missed it, please let me know! :slight_smile: )

Definitely...
Okay I installed it and tested it out.
It successfully “captures” the scene (effect), and then also recreates the scene when triggered...
... however, if you press “Adjust Scene Settings” it completely loses the effect.

I made a video demonstrating this but it’s not letting me attach a video so I uploaded it to YouTube here:

Okay I found another issues, related to capturing the simple colors, which also reminded me I’ve tried capturing light in “night light” mode which is under their “whites”, but when I play the scene they’re all red.

Hmmm... I know this is frustrating, and I apologize, but bear with me another day or two while I work through the complications. We're almost there.

These are all instances of the same problem -- the Scenes app doesn't support lighting effects, and I'm trying to trick it into doing so. (Night Light, and everything other than the whites and "custom color" in the Wiz app's list are effects, not colors, and will have to be treated in this way to be included in a scene.)

In the meantime, the driver you have will actually do the right thing if, after capturing, when you go to Adjust Scene Settings, you change the color mode to CT for lights that are running an effect.

An effect will show up in the data as a color temperature of 6001-6032. This is 6000+ the effect number, so you can set it manually if you want to change an effect without recapturing.

True enough, I just tested this out and yep, I did see how it retained the #

Thanks.

I've just updated the main branch of HubitatWizLight Driver to v1.1.2 in the repository here.

You can now use all Wiz lighting effects with the Hubitat Scenes app. Configure your lights from the bulb's Devices page or from the Wiz app, then capture the Scene as you normally would.

(If you're using the Wiz app to configure your lights, remember that changes won't be immediately available on the Hubitat -- the default polling interval is 10 seconds -- you may need to wait before capturing your scene. If you want faster response, you can lower the polling interval, although in the interest of minimizing traffic, you may want to set it back when you're done.)

Effects settings are saved in a range of color temperatures that the bulb won't use but that the hub can read and store. So if you use effects in your scenes, you may see an unusual looking saved CT value.

This is normal and expected. The encoded CT value will be 6000+the effect number. You can use this value to manually change effects when you're editing scenes. To set effect #1, for example, you'd set the bulb to CT mode and enter the color temperature 6001.

1 Like

Thanks for updating the driver to work with Scenes and Effects!!

Thank you for finding this issue and sticking with it while I fixed it. I appreciate the help, and my office/workshop/gameroom has nicer looking scenes now too!

Hi, thanks for making this driver! I have a couple wiz colour bulbs and want to use the circadian setting that adjusts throughout the day. It doesn't seem like it is an effect or scene, but I'm wondering if there's a way to use it with the hubitat driver. Thanks in advance!

Hi! Glad to hear you can use the driver! Wish I could be of more help with this issue, but here's what's going on:

All the Wiz app features that are tied to a room rather than to a bulb - rhythms, schedules, and so forth - use encrypted MQTT to talk to the Wiz cloud via their app. They're not handled locally, so the driver can't see or talk to them.

This means that if you want to use those features as given, you've got to use the Wiz app. However, it's really a pretty simple feature, so if you want to keep things purely local, you could build your own circadian rhythm feature using Rule Machine.

The HE tracks time of day and sunrise/sunset times, so just make a rule or two to change brightness/color temp over the day in a way that you like, and you've got the feature without involving anybody's cloud.

So, I have tried the driver, and it lists the current effect from the Wiz app, and all effects that are available, but is there a way to set the effect in a scene within Hubitat?

Hello,
To capture Wiz effects for a Hubitat scene, set them first using either the Wiz app, or by using the "Set Effect" or "Previous/Next Effect" buttons on the light's Device page. You can then go to the Groups/Scenes app and capture or recapture the scene to save the current settings.

You can also directly edit effects in a scene using "Adjust Scene Settings". To select an effect by number, simply set the bulb to "CT" mode, and set its color temperature to 6000 + the effect number.

THanks!
so, 6000+5 (fireplace) or 6005, or 60005

1. 6000K is the maximum color temperature the bulb can render.  Anything above that in the range 6000-6032 is interpreted as an effect code.

Got it.
Still having issues incorporating it into a scene.
Will do some more experimenting.

Can't figure it out.
Set scene, captured it.

Show it in the scene list:
When I activate the scene, it defaults to no colour. (no effect)

Any ideas?

Here are a few of things to try:

Make sure the Wiz Color Light driver version is v1.1.1 or later.

The Scenes app has an extremely cranky UI. Be sure that you've clicked "Done" both on the "Adjust Scene Settings" page and on the "Recapture. Activate, or Adjust Scene page."

Also make sure the HE is actually controlling the bulb. Go to the "Devices" page and turn it on and off, set the color etc., just to make sure you can. If you can't, either the local network isn't talking to the bulb, or somebody has "helpfully" turned off the light switch to save energy.

If the light is in a group, try disabling "Enable on/off optimization" in the group's settings.

I think I got it. The driver version wasn't updated correctly, and I had two light drivers.
Now I am able to turn the scene on and off.

Thanks for the help!

One other thing...shouldn't there be a way to create a dashboard tile that allows to change the Effect attribute? I can set the tile to display the effect, just not change it.