[RELEASE] Patterns Plus - Create custom patterns with the Lifx Light Strip (and more)

*** BPTWorld apps are no longer being developed or maintained. Thanks ***

Introducing 'Pattern Controller for the Lifx Light Strip'
Create any pattern you want using the zones associated with the Lifx Light Strip..

Note: this can be used with ANY color bulbs, not just Lifx. Results may vary when using non-Lifx and/or Hue devices.

• Set your light zones
  • Create Groups if needed
  • Import/Export/Share patterns
  • Parent/Child App structure
  • Create as many child apps as needed

Also Note: As with ANY app, sending many commands too fast can and will slow down your hub. This is not meant to turn your house into a dance party but rather as a visual status system.

ie. door was opened, laundry done, motion warnings, sports team scores, etc.

Apps can be found on my GitHub or by using Bundle Manager.
(HPM is highly recommended)

When reporting problems...

• Be sure you are on the latest version. I won't troubleshoot an older version.
  • Turn on debug and screenshot the issue happening in the log. One line or just the error doesn't cut it. I need a log.
  • Post the screenshot of the log with an explanation of the problem.

Thanks

5 Likes

I've uploaded a few Patterns to my GitHub. All of my personal patterns are based on 8 zones.

p-1to8.txt: Pulses across from zone 1 to zone 8

p-arrowin.txt: Uses groups, lights up zone 1 and 8..then 2 and 7..then 3 and 6..then 4 and 5 and flashes 4 and 5 a couple of times

p-backandforth.txt: Think nightrider or the cylons in Battlestar Galatica. Pulses across from zone 1 to 8 and back to zone 1

2 Likes

@bptworld
What would be interesting is if you could also treat bulbs as "zones". So lets say you have 4 bulbs in a room, each bulb could be treated as a child device like a 4 zone light strip... So you apply an animation to that set of bulbs (lets say for a party) or rotate the colors on a single bulb/strip

1 Like

This is the next step!

I don't have any Lifx bulbs (all Hue here) but it should work, there isn't any 'special' code just for the Lifx devices. In theory, a 'zone' could be any device.

Edit: just selected my Hue bulbs and it works great!

Give it a try and let me know how it goes!

I'll also be putting up some sample patterns later this afternoon.

3 Likes

Looks promising, I've tried to make it do something but no go. An example from start to finish would help.

thank-you

I have an explanation and examples in the information section. I even uploaded txt files (that can be imported) to my GitHub. What more do you want!?

Bryan, I'm not familiar with Lifx. Got a link to the strip you're using?

Sure, LIFX Lightstrip, 3.3' Starter Kit, Wi-Fi Smart LED Light Strip

2 Likes

Does your Pattern Control use the Lifx Integration? Does this make the Lifx strip local only?

Yes, to use this with Lifx, you must use the built in local driver.

2 Likes

Ahh! Found a related thread;

Ok, i didn't go on your GitHub... found the files, uploaded to hub using manager. When I hit "Test Zone" in the parent app. The light turns ON for a second and then turns OFF. I guess I have that right.

Now, when I upload the pattern file, I can see all of the commands loaded from Z1 to Z30. But when I hit the "Test Pattern" in the child app, I can see the little wurly thing in the top right corner (loading ?) but then nothing happens.

Time for "Debug Options" ? :wink:

Post number 2 in this thread directs you to where the sample files are.

Reread the 'Information' section.

My guess...

Nope, not for this version. What started out as a different way of entering the patterns has turned into a rewrite of several modules.

Got It ! Not always easy to see the logic of something new.

So I need a Pattern Controller instance for EACH light.

Thanks for your patience Bryan, great new app !

1 Like

Not sure what you mean here? In the parent app, put all your zones (up to 16). Each zone can be a Lifx strip zone or really any color bulb should work.

• So one instance of the parent app handles 16 'devices'.
  • All child apps have access to the same 16 zones ('devices').
  • Each pattern needs a different child app.

Hope this helps.

And the 40 inch Lifx strip has 8 zones?

yes

1 Like

I attempted different options but could not make it work, using a single instance with one light.

Here is my configuration:

Thanks for looking into this. I'm sure I'm missing something or just don't understand the proper way it works,

Okay, screenshot 1 - parent app. You only have zone 1 setup. Select each child device created by your Lifx light strip into these slots. Zone 1 is closest to the power cord. If you have the 40", then it will have 8 zones. If you have a longer strip, it will have more zones.

In Screeshot 2 - child app. Since you only have Zone 1 configured and the pattern you have in the screenshot uses other zones first in the pattern. I assume it's crapping out because there isn't a device to control (ie. in your screenshot the first zone it wants to use is 'z5'. You don't have zone 5 configured in the parent app).

1st step is to configure all zones needed in the parent app, test them and make sure they work...Then go on to the child app.

I'll be back later today for the next step. :wink: lol You'll get it!

Ok, that works. I had done that yesterday and it worked fine. But that means that I can only use 2 meters of strips (16 zones) most of my stripes are 3 meters (24 zones).

Also, The parent app can only handle a single strip of 16 zones, but I have many more strips. So I should use more instances of Pattern Controller for the other strips ?