[DEPRECATED] NOAA Weather Alerts

Loaded the new app a few hours ago and noticed it threw an error in the log. Not sure what the problem is but you may want to check it out.

1 Like

I experienced that today as well. The weather.gov api is not responding 100% of the time. I will need to add a try/catch to remove the error. Shouldn’t be a problem as the service usually responds on next poll.

1 Like

2.2.8 - added customization for introduction to alert for TTS devices to cleanup PushOver and NOAA Tile notifications, catch potential API service availability issues

Note: If you use this feature please delete the "Attention, Attention." at the beginning of your alert message option.

@aaron When the app announces the counties I notice it mentions some of the towns. The app used to say our town name but it no longer does so. Is there a variable to get it to say all the towns involved? It does mention our county. Also I noticed it pronounces i's as e's. For instance it says k....eeee....owa instead of k...eye...owa. Not a big deal at all just mentioning it. I'm on latest. thanks

{alertarea} is the variable to add. :grin:

@aaron thanks. I noticed after the upgrade that just now it said the towns. So that is all good. Just the e's and i's which makes some pronunciations funny.

Yeah not much I can do about that. That is your TTS voice translating the message from NOAA. LOL!

2.2.9 - fixed some confusing wording, customized look and feel to match NOAA color theme, added ability to set log debug disable timeout, added donations link

@aaron
You could do something with this to ‘catch’ the bad pronunciation
You could always do a replace..

Like...
Assuming ‘msg’ is the alert content variable..

If (msg.toLowercase.contains(“eye”)){msg = msg.replace(“eye”,”I”)}

Or something similar.
I do a bit of that with Message Central to try and pronounce things properly
You are welcome to steal that code from MC if you wish.

Andy

2 Likes

Thanks Andy! I appreciate the assistance on that. I will look at MC and see how I could incorporate some of this logic accordingly. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No probs.
If you need some help with it send me a PM

Andy

1 Like

@aaron I just noticed something about the speaker volume on the announcement. I just had a severe weather alert and the first announcement I noticed the volume was at 60 which is where it is at normally, but I have the setting in the app at 70. On the second repeat announcement I noticed that the volume was much louder which I assume is at 70. At the end of the second announcement I can hear the speaker chirp which indicates a reset of volume back to 60 but I never hear the chirp before the first announcement that would indicate a volume change which should be 70.

What are you using for speakers?

@aaron All of my speakers are GH Mini's.

Forgive my lack of proper terminology. The minis seem to "hibernate" after a while. I noticed they would miss initial commands when coming out of that state. I've been using a RM rule that sends an hourly initialize command to my mini and this seems to keep it "awake" and volume commands before TTS messages are honored. It also has the added effect of clearing out the queue so the Chromecast app doesn't choke.

Can you run a test message and watch the Gmini's for their volume level adjustments. Just curious if you see them going up to 70, then back down to 60. Also make sure to change the Speaker Volume Restore value to what you want. If you leave it blank then the app does nothing with it.

@aaron No problem, I will run a test and see if it changes at the beginning and end of a message. I have the notification set to 70 and the restore to 60.

@aaron I ran a test and the volume stayed at 60. I wasn't sure if the test would repeat or not but it didn't. Not sure it is supposed to on the test.

@aaron Ok, we just had another announcement. The speakers were at 60. No chirp indicating a volume change. On the second announcement the speakers went to 80. (have them set to there) and heard the chirp, when the announcement was over the second time and heard the chirp and they were set back to 60.

ok my apologies if I am misunderstanding. Long day of work today. :upside_down_face: So is it working as expected?

@aaron No it is not adjusting the volume to 80 on the first announcement just on the second announcement.

Sometimes the GH miss the first command if they have been ‘asleep’ for a short while.

@aaron I would send an ‘initialise’ command before speaking for GH devices

speaker.initialize()

That would probably fix the issue

Andy

1 Like