[RELEASE] New beta version for Android and iOS mobile apps

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I have never experienced false presence. Sometimes it's very slow to change but was accurate. and once it said I was home, or away, it stayed that way until I physically changed location.

I think a lot of it might be phone related. From what I read different phones react differently. But I really don't know.

As I have been messing around with several presence solutions, I have to say I have had a GREAT experience using the homebridge/homekit to trigger presence for the two iPhones have triggering actions. Once I setup automations within Homekit, I have them triggering a pair of virtual switches. Two days of coming and going and no issues what so ever.

1 Like

I will second that! Sometimes it takes a minute to trigger, but it has been very reliable, and doesn't seem to impact battery life. Also, on my wife's iPhone, it doesn't pop up asking if you want Apple Home to keep using location. She never knows what to hit and ends up shutting off presence for everything else except Homekit.

1 Like

I actually manually entered my home address so I could play with the range of the proximity so that the timing worked out better for my garage to be open as I'm pulling in. :stuck_out_tongue:

It's the little things that make me happy.

1 Like

I ended up using the combined presence app along with the wifi presence driver (just for arrival) and she now has good arrival sensing with the combo and departure with just the Homekit sensor.

Justa thought for a small cross section of users:

Currently (well, I just installed 1.0.6 build 68) I have a lot of problems where I'm sitting at my desk or just sitting on the couch, and the phone goes "away" mode. If I open the app, it immediately comes back to "present". I'm assuming this is the sleep mode.

I also have an Apple watch (with Cellular and GPS).
If the Apple Watch had it's own app, the combo of the two devices (which can operate independently) can offer some redundancy so I don't have the device keep going "offline".

Not sure what it would take to make the iOS app "watch aware", but I suspect it could solve quite a few problems.

Good thought! I wanted to do that and actually set it up, but I was seeing serious issues with my google wifi where the phones would seemingly disconnect from the network for 5 minutes or more at times. That is a whole other problem I need to solve now :stuck_out_tongue:

I use it in the combined presence app for arrival only, and don’t pay attention to it by itself.

Not sure if this is a problem or not.
Are these auth failures a result of the new beta app?
I did also upgrade the hub yesterday to the latest.
I did stop getting exit/enter notifications, but I suspect that’s not because it was fixed, but maybe because auth was broken?

So I noticed with the latest beta and latest iOS version that presence isn’t updating on my phones.

I have two phones but my girlfriends phone needs to get updated. I think her issue is the aggressive killing of background apps on the previous dot release.

However on my phone that is fully up to date and running the latest beta it no longer updates presence unless I open the app.

The app is set to run in the background, has access to the gps and everything else it needs to run properly. It was working fine but just stopped when a few of the last few iOS dot releases.

If I open the app it updates presence right away. So it works. Just not when it’s closed.

I had to log out of the app and then log back in to make things "work" again.

2 Likes