[RELEASE] Matter Advanced Bridge (limited device support)

Thanks for putting this together - worked like a charm for my Aqara M1S hub with a few door and window sensors, a single and a double wall switch. :clap:

1 Like

Has anyone got a G4 Doorbell camera running on a Aqara hub - does it offer itself up?

@kkossev,
I have noticed the the Zemismart bridge seems to lose communication (mainly motion sensors stop responding) when I cut the internet or unplug the router.

Also, not had any communication issues so far requiring either a re-subscribe or discoverall since I have allocated a fixed IP address to the bridge via my Mesh system.

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback, @iEnam !

Configuring a DHCP reserved address for the Matter bridges is a very good idea! I have missed doing this for my Matter devices, but I will do it and see if there is any difference.

2 Likes

I don't have any Aqara camera, but for sure there is no cameras support in the latest Matter specs 1.2

It is a pity that Aqara Hub does not provide a way to create virtual switches (similar to what Hubitat does). If virtual switches could be created in the Aqara app and then exported via the Matter Bridge, many other device types could be exposed via Matter. The same applies for Tuyaβ€”no Tuya scenes are available via Matter, unfortunately.

1 Like

I agree, and then I got to thinking about doing this via HomeKit, and having that move a virtual switch on motion detection (to trigger some rules/Webcore pistons), but I don't want to buy the doorbell to find out that HomeKit only passes a video (that Hubitat can't handle).

May be I'll go shopping anyways...

I've just installed my M1 hub. I detached the zigbee tuya blinds from my c-8 and added them via the M1. They work fine in the smartlife app, but the direction is reversed in Apple Home and when added to Hubitat using the Matter Advanced Bridge. I guess I could change things around in the Smart Life app but then that would be wrong and the other potentially reporting correctly. Any ideas how I can get these all to agree on the curtain/blind state?

For my curiosity, you already had working setup with direct connection to C8. What the reason to add a potential point of failure (M1)?

Tuya has brought the Zemismart blinds oddities into the Matter Bridge as well... :frowning:

Use the available options in the child device driver :

For my curiosity, you already had working setup with direct connection to C8. What the reason to add a potential point of failure (M1)?

Ah now thats a good question and I have several reasons. So the blinds in question are in my outside office, which is about 40 meters from the house and outside the zwave/zigbee range of the primary hubitat hub. So I had to get a second c-8 (and use hub mesh) just for two zigbee blinds in the cabin (I have a similar requirement in another outbuilding). The cabin already has a thread/Matter hub and the new door sensor supports matter over thread directly (so its just the blinds). If I can shift the blinds to matter then I wouldn't need the (comparatively expensive) second c-8 hub as I can just add them as matter devices on my super dooper new c-8 pro in the main house. Ultimately I'm on a journey to use Matter and thread as much as possible (using my TBRs that are already scattered around my house and outbuildings), but that's a way off given the amount of existing z-wave and zigbee devices I have but I've started the process. You can pick up a M1 hub for 33 UK quid right now which is a 1/4 the price of a c-8 so connecting these zigbee device via an M1 is a lot cheaper than multiple c-8 and hub mesh. The c-8 pro can handle more devices so I now longer need multiple hubitat hubs. Plus I get to use Apple Home which is growing on me. And thats my second point being able to use Siri, Shortcuts and Apple Home as well as Hubitat is excellent. Matter is great if you want to use two management platforms. And I have to say that the Matter devices perform MUCH better in the apple eco system than they are currently on Hubitat e.g. lets say a door opens, or a motion sensor is triggered then this gets reported in Apple Home every time. But seeing/reporting the same matter events on Hubitat is inconsistent which is annoying when the lights don't some on. Quite often Hubitat just doesn't report it. It comes and goes but is pretty annoying. The solution for me has been to move some of these automations over to Apple Home (at least for the time being).

2 Likes

Our friends in Korea made a very good and informative YouTube video:

The audio is in Korean language, but you can use the YouTube Auto Translation feature to generate subtitles in English.

One of the issues mentioned here is that when there are a lot of Zigbee devices bridged, it is currently rather difficult to identify them all in HE. Tuya (Zemismart) Matter bridge is not exposing the device labels, but Philips Hue (and seemingly Aqara) are providing the device labels as defined in their ecosystem.

So this (better identification of the child devices) will be one of the next planned improvements.

4 Likes

Use the available options in the child device driver :
Thank you @kkossev The wonderful options in the Matter Advanced Bridge solved the inverted direction reporting on the Hubitat side (was secretly hoping someone would have an answer on the Apple Home side ;-)) Now I just need to remember that when its closed Apple reports it open. And when its open Hubitat reports it open. Not sure I have the heart to integrate with Alexa as that will probably report the blinds 50% humidity.

1 Like

Bringing it back to the MAB I have a couple of questions on how/when it detects the child devices.

So you can see my two blinds that have been detected and I know you said that each function would be added as a separate child device. Now I'm not sure whether I noticed the battery child device when I first added it or whether it arrived 'later'. I have just added the second blind (exactly the same type) now and notice it has detected the battery (yet). Is this the expected behaviour?

So the other thing with these blinds is, yes, they are not mains powered. They have internal batteries and both have a small solar panel attached for recharging. Just for reference the driver is unable to correctly report the battery status:

Lastly as we've discussed above currently it doesn't pull through the real device name(s) which makes all this somewhat complicated. Its fine when only adding one device at a time (and then manually renaming as I have done), but lets say we were adding 10 devices each with three child devices then it may get tricky to work out which one goes with which right? For instance its not clear in my case above which device that battery child device relates to.

At this moment, the SwitchBit Curtain motor and the temperature/humidity sensor were tested to be working with this driver.

Just a few observations. My setup: 15 mmWave sensors on Zemismart that utilize this bridge for HE.

(1) Every 3-4 days, they all stop reporting to HE at the same time. I implemented a quick reSubscribe on MWF mornings as a work-around. Interestingly enough ...

(2) WebCoRE does not recognize the Zemismart driver in its drop-down list for selectable devices for Actions, even though it was added via WebCoRE settings (and the driver shows WebCoRE). I utilized a WebCoRE http request to a MakerAPI endpoint, which works just fine (after remembering to add the port to the IP address).

(3) The HL0SS mmWave sensor only reports inactive updates to HE. To be specific, it does not report anything for the active events (i.e. silence, as opposed to reporting inactive for active).

Overall, I'm quite happy with the driver (thanks!). Only request is one that I already made and is not urgent: subscriptions ignore disabled child devices to prevent Matter traffic. For now, I just delete the children (e.g. illuminance) after every discovery.

1 Like

Next in the line :

Coming soon :

Looks like the new Aqara M3 Hub is being released May 8th.

Sorry, I have forgot to document this :

• simply disable the device from HE device page, it will be filtered out at early processing stage :

I have it for quite a long time now, but it is the Chinese version,
In Aqara Home app I have to switch between the European and Chinese accounts, in order to be able to view the paired devices.

No matter which region I have currently active in Aqara Home, the bridged Zigbee devices are operational!
But switching regions is not very convenient, so it is better to wait for the Global version.

1 Like

I read about people buying the Chinese version but I wanted to wait on the US one. Great to hear everything is working with it. Definitely looking forward to getting one as soon as I can to play with.