[Release] Magic Home Wifi (Drivers) + MagicHome Manager (App)

Mine was kicking off the exact same log. But I had created a virtual device (incorrectly) somewhere along the way, and had two instances of the lights showing up in my Google Home app. They both worked manually, but neither worked with any automation.

I uninstalled the driver, unlinked the Magic Home app from Google Home, and removed all the devices. Rebooted, clean install on the HE, and was back in business. I never re-installed the native app on my Android phone.

Not sure if thats helpful at all or not, but thought I'd share in case it might provide any insight into what might be cookin'.

Ohhhh. So you're just changing the color/H/S/L/Whatever in your automation, and it's not turning on when you do that? Switch events work, though? I may have to roll back the method I'm using for Turn On With Changes to be more reliable. I also figure that's why the presets aren't working, because it's prefixing something to the byte array the driver sends and messes up the commands. Or, it's not properly checking inputs. I'll take a look at that.

Thanks for the good info!

1 Like

How can I trigger one of the presets from a dashboard or within a rule?

I'm working on a "party" mode and want the LED strips to strobe (slowly) but I can't seem to figure out how to set those values except through the web UI.

You’ll want to use the Create Custom Command function in Rule Machine, and create a command that executes whichever custom function you wanted in the MH driver. Then, you can use that custom command as an action.

2 Likes

You don't know what you don't know. I took the plunge and ordered some lights, a controller, and some right angle and extension wires. Everything was labeled 5050 so it should all work, right?

Today I learned that a $15 Wi-Fi LED controller may not come with a power supply. There isn't much documentation, so I stared at the brief description on Amazon and got up the courage to order a 12V 5Amp power supply. I guess that's a standard connector because it worked.

Today I learned that the water proof LED light strips I bought, do not easily work with right angle connectors and extension cables. They have a thick rubber cover; it can be scapped away; but... that's not for me. Buy the non-water proof ones for back of TV's and short runs that need tight turns. So I ordered a spool of non-water proof 5050 LED lights.

Today I learned that LED light strips come in 5-pin and 4-pin varieties. Tonight I'll be buying another spool of 5-pin indoor and a 4-pin controller, oh and a power supply.

Today I learned that the TV remote RF signal can be picked up by these LED controllers. Navigation down arrow turns it off, volume down sets the light to blue, channel up does green. You should consider covering the RF receiver on these if using near a TV.

Tomorrow I will likely learn something.

1 Like

Well, you should try to read more before buying, when I did my first buy of strips(from this thread by the way) I did not have all those problems!

1 Like

Sorry to hear about all the trouble! If you have any questions, I’d be happy to help where possible. I have a little experience with strips :wink:

If you want a real mind-bender; the 4-pin vs 5-pin (and 6-pin) are pinned out differently :joy: +RGB vs +RBGW. Today, I saw one that was R+BG and I was REALLY scratching my head there.

I'm seeing that. Are the 4-pin RGBW and 5-pin RGBWW? I was able to plug the 4-pin lights into the 5-pin controller and get all the colors but the RED channel. $10 and $15 dollar miss-buys are not trouble. Most of my spend so far has been with points on my Amazon account anyways. I wrote that post partially in jest, but also to help others know some of the in-and-outs of these lights, because like I said; I didn't know what I didn't know; so did not know what questions to ask.

Wow, right to RTFM:blush:. I thought I had read enough, looked pretty straight forward. I've never tinkered with this kind of stuff so I didn't know what to expect. If this were a Data Center full of hyper converged servers, storage, and switches, I would have been all over it. I'm learning as I go and like to share my mistakes so others can benefit.

3 Likes

Yea eBay and the Chinese sights are... great, but a gamble.
When it comes to my custom LED combinations, I've been lucky so far. Arduinoy purchases, not so much...

1 Like

RGBWW (RGB + 2 White Channels) is actually 6 pin.
V+, R, G, B, W1, W2

RGBW has 5, RGB has 4—one for each color, plus a positive voltage pin.

Digital RGB has 3 pins, however. That’s a whole ballpark that I can explain when I get it added to the driver.

Speaking of which... sorry there haven’t been updates in a while. I’m really trying to hammer out the fixes for slowdown and self-healing, and that testing takes a long time.

1 Like

I have a strip that is +GRBW. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Sorry, I re read my own message and it sounds in a way that is not how I want, english is not my first language, I got my strips on Amazon, there you see what other people got with an item, for example, I looked for the module, then I saw the people were buying the cable and the strip with the module, so this way I figured out what to buy. Sorry again.

And by the way, my strip had 2 colors inverted, I had to modify 2 cables swapping them with a soldering iron, so it not perfect anyway! I did not buy the waterproof strip because I read the reviews and they said the strip clear coat will turn yellow and I wanted them for the cabinets in the kitchen so I chose the non waterproof because the heat in some areas, they work great, RGBW.

Nice, I been using the old driver, I commented most of the debug on it, but still showing this and I don't know how to eliminate them.

Thanks.

Add a method into the driver as follows:
telnetStatus(status){}

... that’s it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you mean changing this area?

Thanks

Yes. Delete the log.debug "telnetStatus..."

You can also delete the entire socketStatus method.

1 Like

Thanks, I will try this now, later your new update :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I knew you didn't mean to sound harsh. After reading a couple hundred of your posts (easy) I feel like I know you. I haven't been hit with "read the manual" in forever and couldn't resist responding. I looked at the people who bought x also bought y recommendations and apparently those people also learned something that day. Because that's how I ended up with the 4-pin right angle connector kit and 5-pin lights. Had I looked closer at the connectors I would have realized the 4-pin/5-pin options sooner and maybe I would have bought the right lights the second time. This is a fun hobby buying the wrong parts goes with the territory.

2 Likes

Lol :+1: