[Release] Magic Home Wifi (Drivers) + MagicHome Manager (App)

Haha these ones are on a physical switch --- too many issues of people turning them off in the app, and then having someone else hit the switch. It's a temporary solution, thankfully :laughing:

It would be a good prank, done lightheartedly. The dark side of automation is spooky!

In this case — I really pranked myself!

I also just learned that MagicHome devices send unsolicited messages to ALL devices with an active TCP connection to them. It's pretty cool, actually, and very fast!

Edit: Looks like that's just for power, though.

Yes I've given myself a good laugh with some of this stuff too.
It gets me every night with my daughters room.
She used to always turn the lights on at night so I put a GE swtich in and if my virtual switch that means the kids are sleeping is on the lights go right off after being turned on.
If she goes to bed too late (it automatically turns on) I try to turn the light on to settle her into bed and the light flashes on then off.
I sigh and kind of chuckle. Then fumble in the dark. :joy:

Alright. For those who are looking to get their parse() function back.. 0.83 has been released :slight_smile:

This version also introduces a setting for how often to send heartbeat or keepalive/refresh packages. I recommend keeping this under 250 seconds, as some devices will unexpectedly close sessions when they don't receive a ping.

You will need to hit initialize in the settings of each of your devices to get them talking properly in the new driver, or reboot your hub if you have a ton of these devices, like I do, and it will initialize on boot :slight_smile:

I haven't been seeing any slowdown, and I've been running my hubs with packets every 2 seconds with a lot of devices for several days. If you see any, please let me know. Fundamentally, nothing has been edited outside of the parse() method in this update.

2 Likes

Here’s something funny :laughing:

I came home today—my phone couldn’t connect to WiFi. All of my devices were still connected on our network, so something must have happened with a soft-lock on the router. The MagicHome driver was still working perfectly—and still, no slowdown :cowboy_hat_face:

Edit: in retrospect, if this had happened with SmartThings, I’d have come home to a dead house. What a relief!

2 Likes

Are these controllable with your driver?

I just updated my 2 devices to 0.83, the odd thing is my hub was slow again when I entered to update the drivers, between 8 to 10 seconds to enter to each device when the normal is less than 3 seconds. I have those lights in the second hub with no apps or rules, just the link to hub app and 12 devices total, not sure why is getting slower, anyway it works, I let you know how it works now.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, miLights use a different protocol over UDP. I think someone had a version of LimitlessLED working for SmartThings back in the day—I used to use it before I switched to MagicHome.

It may be possible to find that and port it over.

Interesting—and thank you for that note. Was this on 0.82? I wonder, if in some cases, the default refresh time is too high. If you notice this in 0.83, would you be willing to set the refreshTime in settings to 250, and see if the issue persists?

Yes, with 0.82. Sure I can try 250 the refreshTime

Thanks

1 Like

Hi Adam,

I noticed this error on the logs after updating to 0.83, but this logs are from the master hub, the second hub where the controllers are installed has no logs.

Thanks

rgbw? I’ll take a look. Sorry about the bug!

Yes, RGBW controllers. Thanks

1 Like

My RGBW controller didn't turn off this morning. :confused:

Thank you for letting me know! Did you hit initialize when you installed the new driver? I’ll take a look at the RGBW driver more heavily

So I was going to post, huh it's not even responding, but then I hit initialize again and it works now.
Don't worry about my comment for now, we'll see if it goes off in the morning.

The bulb is working great.

1 Like

Some kind of lighting convention going on in our dining room today. Grateful that my fiancé is so patient :joy:

3 Likes

Are you using the RGBW Controller driver?

1 Like

Hi Carl!

What app are you using that is giving you some trouble? From my understanding, it works fine with the manual controls, but doesn’t in a certain app?

Anything in the logs that might be useful? Is debug logging turned on, as well?

Thanks!

Interesting. I’m using it with RM on my hubs without issue, so I’d love to get this figured out for you :cowboy_hat_face:

Any errors thrown in your rule logs? You’ll have to turn those on, as well.

Thanks, Carl!

Let me see if I can replicate this at all. Do any other apps work? Simple lighting, etc?

Showed this to my wife - she says hi to your fiancee and says
she understands - feel free to reach out as needed!