[Release] Logitech Harmony Hub Driver v0.1.20230311

This would indicate that the Device for your projector was not defined correctly in the Logitech Harmony device database. I’d recommend you manually define the Harmony device for your projector so that its inputs are available during the creation of the Harmony Activity.

This integration is focused on control of Harmony Activities, not individual devices.

I'm having an issue with the "power off" command where its just not turning off my projector. I've changed the setup on the projector to only require one press of the Power Off button to shut down, but every time I run the "power off" activity, it fails to turn the projector off the first time through.

So I added a second "power off" command in my rule, and that seems to have solved the problem, but I don't understand if / how the "reverse logic" would fix the problem. I also tried using a momentary switch so the rule could just toggle the switch rather than just turn on or off specifically. Didn't help.

Feels like the Harmony is just being flaky and has nothing to do with HE, but figured I'd ask the smart people regardless of what forum they were hanging out in.

Any reason why this wouldn't work with a single press of Power Off?

It appears you’re attempting to “turn off” the Harmony “PowerOff” activity. This won’t do anything. Instead, if you’re attempting to turn off your home theater system, you should “turn on” the “PowerOff” activity. This will turn off any activity that is on.

Thats what I thought, except that when I "turn off" the power off activity, all of my devices except for my projector turn off. On the 2nd time it is turned off, the projector turns off as well.

Its weird, which I why I wasn't sure if I was understanding it correctly. I'll try it both ways and see what happens. Thanks for clarifying @ogiewon.

Actually, I just looked through my code and it doesn’t matter if you turn on or off the PowerOff activity....doing either will turn off the current activity.

Sorry for any confusion.

1 Like

I appreciate you double checking.
I was messing with the momentary switch and also a virtual button to press, but I kept getting the same results. At least now I know I'm not losing my mind.

Out of curiosity, why not make an exception to the rule rather than setting up separate rules to keep them off? Or create a "movies" mode that includes any/all of the Harmony activity switches? I want to set up the same thing and just trying to understand the logic.

I currently have similar setup working with Plex, so the lights go off when I press "play" rather than when Harmony runs the action to turn on the device. They go back to dim when I pause the movie and then go on brighter when the movie is stopped. But it only works for Plex, not when I'm watching Netflix or anything on my Roku or bluray player.

Theater starts by lowering the projector, Harmony turns on the devices, and then dims the lights. I'm using Google Assistant to trigger a virtual switch to start the rule.

then for when I'm watching a movie from my Plex server:

and

Going to test out your rules right now.

@ckronengold

I've only been using HE/RM for about 6 months, and to me RM is like a car with manual transmission and I only know how to drive an automatic. :flushed:
Software has never been my strong point, I'm more of a hardware person.

I would really love to create complex Rules, in order to reduce the multiple simple Rules I have going on right now. But when I see complex Rules (to me) I have no idea how or what steps were used to get things to work together.
To a lot of people making Rules in RM, they understands how the logic flows to create an end point. To me, when I see someone finished Rules with multiple different options and conditions and try to replicate it. I'm like a deer looking into a cars head lights, I'm totally lost on what steps they actually took to create the Rule. And usually after spending a hour creating half broken Rules, I give up and move one to multiple simple Rules.

Hopefully I'll understand more as time moves on, but my luck they will replace RM to a more complex method and I'll have to start over again. :crazy_face:

I'm with ya 100%. I've made a few feature requests for Simple Lighting, for example, that seemed pretty simple, but have gone unanswered (light turn on at sunset, off at a specific time, not sunrise, example.)

Turns out, I should have done some more digging before asking my question. The restrictions in simple light are pretty (forgive the pun) restrictive. The answer to my question is "because you can't, dummy!"

1 Like

I was just playing with this tonight and it is working but have a weird issue I'm not finding in the thread. Volume up/down doesn't work with Increase/Decrease Volume by # of repeats = 0 (the default). If I change it to 1 it then goes up by 2 everytime. Anyway to get no repeats but for it to work 1x?

Sorry for the delayed response. I was away for the holidays and this questions got buried in my inbox. I'll take a look at the code.

UPDATE:
@awagsii - I have made some changes to the Logitech Harmony Hub Driver that should make the volume control more robust and easier to use. The Volume Control setting now forces a numeric value between 1 and 100, and it is the number of 'volume button presses' that you'd like to have sent for each time either the volumeUp or volumeDown commands are called.

So, entering a "1" will simulate a single volume button press on your remote control. Entering a "3" will simulate three volume button presses on your remote control.

I also tried to make sure there is no way to enter an invalid value in the input field, and I defaulted it to "1" in case nothing was entered at all.

Please update your driver code and let me know if this works correctly for you now.

Thank you for your feedback!

2 Likes

Thanks for your work. I have tried the new code out and weirdly it is still the same behavior. I checked debugging and it is clearly only calling your volume change routine 1x but volume changes by 2. I also tried changing repeats to:

1 => changes by 2
2=> changes by 4
3=> changes by 5
4=> changes by 7

When I use the remote is does only go up by 1 so don't think its a remote setting. Isn't a big deal either but weird.

Hmmm, that is a little strange.

Not sure what else it could be other than the harmony hub just sending too many IR pulses when called via the webSocket interface. As a test, if you use your smartphone as a Harmony remote control and click volume up and volume down on the phone's touchscreen, how much does your volume change?

I also have a lot of difficulty with complex rules, but if you can accomplish the task you need to with multiple, smaller rules, there’s nothing wrong with that!

2 Likes

Tried that out sorry to say I have no good news for you lol. It changes by 1.

Got this set up last night. As a recent convert(ish) from SmartThings, and a user of the man in the middle server, what's the effective strategy for getting individual device control, and not just activity control through Hubitat?

Glad to hear! If I recall correctly, the official SmartThings to Logitech Harmony Hub integration only supported Harmony Activities as well, correct? It did also support mapping ST devices to Harmony to be able to use those devices in Activities and map remote control buttons.

You could give this KuKu Harmony port a try. I have not used it, so no firsthand experience to share with you.

Thanks! Dead on. Official integration exclusively used activities, while the XMPP integration gave granular control.

I actually stumbled on the port of KuKu Harmony a little while after posting, initially it wasn't showing up despite searching. Seems to be functional as well. It would be great if this or another app were able to fold both in together, though I know that's not a small feature request XD. Personally the activities are rarely what I need given the range of devices controlled (TV, HT, Aircon), since only one can be active at once. I'd rather not turn off my AC just because I'm watching TV, or get stuck when the TV needs to cycle inputs to resume displaying from my PC (how Vizio is able to claim that's normal use is beyond me).

All,

I have just released a new version of the Logitech Harmony Hub Parent Driver. This new version includes the addition of the "Switch" Capability to the Parent Device. I have also added a new user preference for a "Default Activity". Together, these allow the Parent Device to be used to Turn On (the Default Activity) and Off the system without needing to use a child device. Thanks @yototogblo for your request and for helping to test this new feature.

Please let me know if you have any feedback.

Dan

3 Likes

Thanks for very quickly adding this feature. It works great!

For everyone, the beauty of the switch capability is that if any activity is running (i.e. the remote isn't powered off), the parent device would now reflect that. You can then add the parent to your dashboard and quickly see the status of your TV and turn it off. In my case, I called the parent activity "Living Room TV" and so, can easily control my Living Room TV from my dashboard. It also works great using Alexa or Google Home of course.

1 Like