[Deprecated] - Lighting Effects

Introducing Lighting Effects.

Most features in this app have been merged into Event Engine - Automate your world with easy to use Cogs. Rev up complex automations with just a few clicks!

• Designed to make static holiday lights dim or flicker randomly.
  • Randomly change colors on color change bulbs, completely separate or all together.
  • Slowly dim a set of dimmable devices, great for night time routines.
  • Slowly raise a set of dimmable devices, great for morning routines.
  • Set up a loop to continually raise and lower dimmable devices.
  • Create a spooky, sparkly or party effect
  • Parent/Child App structure
  • Create as many child apps as needed

Fast Dim and/or Flicker:

• For each Child App, multiple devices can be selected. Each device will run sequential, Device 1, then Device 2, Back to device 1, then device 2..etc.

• To create a random effect, put each device in a separate Child App, using the same switch to turn them on.

Fast Color Changing:

• Designed for color changing bulbs. This section can control lights individually, or all together within the same child app. Used to change colors between 5 sec and 5 minutes.

• Lights can be completely random or cycle through the chosen colors.

Slow Color Changing:

• Designed for color changing bulbs. This section can control lights individually, or all together within the same child app. Used to change colors between 5 minutes and 3 hours.

• Lights can be completely random or cycle through the chosen colors.

Slow Dim, Raise and Loop:

• Designed to slowly raise or lower any dimmable device. Great for morning or night routines. Also has the ability to setup a loop to continually raise and lower a dimmable device. Note: The dimming is not smooth but rather done in steps.

Important:

• This app is designed to work with Hue bulbs, any other brand may or may not work as expected. Especially the color options. If the color is not what you are looking for, you will have to edit the child app and replace the color values to work with your devices.

• Be sure to turn off 'Enable descriptionText logging' for each device. Can create a LOT of log entries!

• Remember that the more devices you add and the faster you send commands, the more you're flooding the network. If you see 'normal' devices not responding, be sure to scale back the lighting effects.

Apps can be found on my GitHub or by using the Hubitat Package Manager.
(HPM is highly recommended)

When reporting problems...

• Be sure you are on the latest version. I won't troubleshoot an older version.
  • Turn on debug and screenshot the issue happening in the log. One line or just the error doesn't cut it. I need a log.
  • Post the screenshot of the log with an explanation of the problem.

Thanks

Videos - Check out this app in action!

Have fun!

16 Likes

Hmmmm, could this be expanded into something like the vacation lighting director in smartthings (turns lights on/off randomly at a certain interval, but always keeps X number of lights on at any time).

@bptworld

Bryan
I warned you! :slight_smile:

hahahah...

Andy

4 Likes

Nope, this is just a simple app to randomly dim my Halloween and Christmas decorations. Making them more exciting and interactive.

3 Likes

Why not just port vacation lighting across if you need that functionality?

Andy

Went over to the other side and found the app you were looking for...doesn't need any changes or porting. Simply copy it over. Seems to be running just fine.

4 Likes

Thank you - I had forgotten about it until coming across your post. My apologies for implying in my earlier post that I was asking you to add something, It wasn't my intention (chalk it up to a lack of coffee).

While we were still using smartthings, my wife used Google Home to flicker the lights ("Get Spooky") but of course, that only worked with lights paired with google home. She will be happy to be able to do the same thing again this year.

1 Like

Great first start! Ok so as @Cobra stated there would be requests for add-ons to this app. :slight_smile:

1. Can you add a startup option for the Scene? Such as I want all selected bulbs at this dim level.
  2. Within each child node can color be added? Default color to start with.
  3. Maybe the ability to change between 2-3 color selections too.
  4. MP3 option to add music to scenes

Oh I have more but this would be the obvious choices. :wink:

I'm sorry, I simply don't have the programming skills or knowledge to do any of your requests. I'm getting better at modifying others code to do what I want it to do (as documented in the version notes within the app!), but to write code from scratch...can't do it.

By all means, if someone else would like to take this and make it into something more or completely change it...be my guest. I simply don't have the knowledge to do it. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Should be able to very easily do 1 & 4 with a rule.

2 Likes

I guess technically could do 1, 2 & 3 with rules and scenes.

1 Like

we all started by modifying code, keep on it and the results will surprise you!

3 Likes

New Version of Random Dim and Flicker available...V1.0.4

Much better Dim and Flicker routine!

Link in post #1

2 Likes

Anyone have a video of what they have done so far?

I'll try to make one this afternoon...with a BIG update! @aaron ...you're going to like this one...lol

2 Likes

NEW Version!

Major update and name change! See first post for details...

Videos coming soon! :grin:

3 Likes

another quick update...

V1.1.1 - 10/23/18 - Color changing can now be random or cycle through.

3 Likes

Video link is now in post #1

You have made the world of holiday lighting that much easier. Thank you for your efforts here!

1 Like

So I have a question about the app....to change dimming and colors you would use two different child scenes correct?