[RELEASE] Life360 with States - Track all attributes with app and driver. Also supports RM4 and Dashboards!

*** BPTWorld apps are no longer being developed or maintained. Thanks ***

Check out this post for a new user supported version...

Introducing 'Life360 with States'
Life360 with all States Included

Hubitats built-in app only exposes the 'presence' attribute, This app and drivers expose all available attributes. All attributes are available for use in Rule 4.0 and any other app.

Works great with my Life360 Tracker app for both Life360 paid and free plans!

Features:

• Port of ST Life360 app and driver by tmleafs
  • TONS of under the hood changes, modifications and cleanup
  • Exposes all available attributes, can be used with Rule 4.0!
  • Ability to add a dashboard tile with avatar and attributes
  • Creates all child devices automatically

Special thanks goes out to @cwwilson08 for figuring out the oauth and webhook stuff! This would not be possible without his work.

Apps can be found on my GitHub or by using Bundle Manager.

When reporting problems...

• Be sure you are on the latest version. I won't troubleshoot an older version.
  • Turn on debug and screenshot the issue happening in the log. One line or just the error doesn't cut it. I need a log.
  • Post the screenshot of the log with an explanation of the problem.

Thanks

Differences in Apps...

• Life360 (phone app) - https://www.life360.com/
  • Life360 with States - Pulls all the data into Hubitat from the phone app
  • Life360 Tracker - Uses the data in Life360 with States to do some cool stuff! :wink:
  • Life360 Examiner - Made to show what is sent from life360 (phone app) to Life360 with States. Not needed and is completely optional.

HE Life360 Connector should be at the least disabled, if not removed as it is not needed.

Adding Tile to Dashboard:

• setup Life360 with States app
  • go to the device created in app and setup device
  • be sure to see that the device is updating and the State, 'Life360 Tile1' has data in it!
  • CLOSE all dashboards!
  • open dashboard
  • 'add a tile'
  • 'pick a device' - select the device created by the app
  • 'pick a template' - select 'attribute'
  • 'pick an attribute' - select 'Life360 Tile1'

Note: If using Smartly, add this to your CSS within the Dashboard settings.

.tile-primary, .tile-contents{
   height: 100% ;
}
13 Likes

Differences between this app and the built-in app...

Built-in
life360-old

New - Life360 with States

Dashboard Tile
life360%20tile%20-%20Edited

8 Likes

This looks great! Thanks. Does anything about this require the Plus version of Life360? Specifically, can you name more than two locations in the app?

I have Plus so I don't know if the states will show up or not if you don't. Give it a shot and let us know!

1 Like

Sounds like a challenge. OK, I've successfully installed the app and driver, and have restored all my presence related rules. I left my fence and observed events showing I'd gone away and long/lat changed. I had created a test dashboard with some of the extended attributes and it seemed those didn't change on the dashboard as expected. But since I was driving, could really look into it. I won't be able to test that unless I can make my wife go away, and if I knew how to do that .. but I digress.

So far, I haven't seen how my question of naming locations in the app makes sense. Perhaps that is a concept known to the tracker app which I haven't looked at yet. Of course, what I'm speaking of is the ability to put a friendly name on locations beyond just Home and Work.

Well at least we know some of the states will change. Naming locations is done in the life360 app on the phone. I've had plus for so long I don't know how many locations you can have on the non plus.

The free version is limited to two named locations. I asked the question after reading the thread in the ST Community about tmleafs version, and there was mention of the limit being alerting locations, and you could have more named locations. That doesn't appear to be accurate, but we'll see what we can do with this. Nice work!

1 Like

The life360 app (free) will only allow 2 places. The (Premium) version which is $2.99/mo has unlimited places.

Yes, exactly. As I said above, there was an implication (in the ST thread) that this app/driver had the ability to independently put names on more locations than the Life360 knows about. Obviously, it could since Lat/Long is available, even for those running the free version. But there is no facility to calculate proximity to a known named location in this app. There's still much richer info to expose than with the native app, so I'm glad I went through the process to use this.

Very interesting! Let me think on that one but it shouldn't be too hard to do. :thinking::thinking::thinking:

@bptworld Thanks for all the hard work.

Just to confirm after install, it should create Life360 User devices automatically?

Currently it does not for me, I've uninstalled/re-installed 2x and no joy. Latest hub update (117) fyi.

did you install the driver?

If yes, use the search function on the devices page and type in Life360. They should come right up.

I did install the driver and they are definitely not there in devices after install. It appears install goes ok
and looking at the code "installed()" seems to do the device creation, I even added installed() to the display() command and reloaded the app once to trigger and they don't get created.

I'm wondering if something went wrong with my install, after I go through the token part I get a page that says everything went succesfully, go back to hub. Then life360 states app is not there so I go "install" again and it pops right up with my circles etc. Sound right?

@bptworld

Not sure if this helps, but it seems perusing the code that I'm not getting some options in the interface on the states app.

After I select my circle it seems like I should select places etc. But that is not the case.

I clicked done and it never changes when I come back. I can see a request going to the server but nothing updates.

Do you by chance have more than one circle?

I do have more than one circle, is that the issue? @cwwilson08

I think it could possibly be..

@rob121, you win the prize... first person with more than one circle! lol

I'll take a look.

So you have the debug logging enabled? When you push done do you logging with a list of places?

It won't, the next selection should just pop up after each selection.

I think I got it...